Brooklyn Academy of Music
Brooklyn, New York
Designed by Herts & Tallant and built c. 1908, the Brooklyn Academy of Music is the oldest continuously operated music hall in the country.
As the architectural conservator, BCA oversaw the restoration of BAM's exterior masonry construction of brick and terra cotta including the recreation of the terra cotta cornice and balustrade.
BCA carried out a comprehensive assessment of the brick and terra cotta, testing materials in the field and in BCA's laboratory. Nearly 75% of the existing masonry was taken apart, salvaged, and put back together under BCA's direction. The top-most 15 feet of this building, including the cornice and parapet wall, was recreated in a polychromed glass fiber reinforced concrete (GFRC). Other scope items included building modifications for handicapped accessibility, partial roof replacement, refurbishment of stained glass windows, and enhanced exterior lighting and signage.
The project has been awarded the Lucy G. Moses Preservation Award by the New York Landmarks Conservancy and the Excellence in Historic Preservation by the Preservation League of New York State.
Materials: Brick, Terra Cotta
Related services: Conditions Surveys, Cost Estimating, Field Testing, Finishes Analysis, Inspection Services, Lab Testing, Landmarks, Measured Drawings, Mockups, Monitoring, Probes, Research, Specifications, Working Drawings