General Motors Technical Center
BCA's work on the multi-billion dollar restoration and rehabilitation of the nearly mile-square, 60-building complex began with a Historic Preservation Master Plan that included extensive research in drawing and photographic archives and resulted in a historical evolution and alteration study of each building; a façade survey of all buildings; comprehensive exterior and interior photographic documentation; restoration designs; and a view-shed analysis for proposed modifications and new construction.
The Master Plan became the basis for BCA's National Register nomination for the entire campus, which successfully argued for a period of significance that spanned the years 1949 through 1970.
BCA subsequently oversaw the Historic Preservation Certification Application that enabled General Motors to secure a one billion dollar tax credit. Concurrently, BCA designed and oversaw the restoration and rehabilitation of the curtain wall systems on the original Saarinen-designed buildings.
The Michigan Historical Center Foundation awarded the project the 2006 Governors Award for Historic Preservation.
Materials: Brick, Concrete, Finishes, Metal
Related services: Conditions Surveys, Cost Estimating, Feasibility Studies, Field Testing, Historic Tax Credit, Inspection Services, Lab Testing, Landmarks, Master Plans, Monitoring, Research, Specifications, Working Drawings