Park Avenue Armory
New York, New York
Built by New York State's Seventh Regiment of the National Guard, the first volunteer militia to respond to Lincoln's call for troops in 1861, the Park Avenue Armory served as both a military facility and a social club for members of the Regiment. The highly decorated reception rooms on the first floor and the Company Rooms on the second floor were designed by noted designers and artists of the day, including Louis Comfort Tiffany Stanford White, Herter Brothers, and Pottier & Stymus.
BCA was the historic preservation consultant for the restoration of the former Seventh Regiment Armory into a visual and performing arts space. Our services included historic paint research, materials testing, and a study of the historic building fabric.
BCA coordinated closely with the project architects, Herzog & de Meuron, on the development of strategies to restore significant historic components while bringing exciting new design elements to the building. BCA also provided preservation consulting services related to regulatory reviews of this historic resource.
Materials: Finishes, Wood
Related services: Field Testing, Finishes Analysis, Measured Drawings, Research, Working Drawings