Completed in 1911, this grand Beaux Arts train station was designed to reflect Worcester's turn of the century economic prosperity. Abandoned in the early 1970s, the structure had deteriorated to near architectural ruin. Despite 30 years of water infiltration into the walls of the building and little steel supporting the terra cotta, there was substantial damage to the terra cotta glaze and not the clay body, allowing for many of the terra cotta units to be repaired.
This project won the Award for Restoration and Adaptive Reuse from The Boston Society of Architects in 2001.
Materials: Finishes, Metal, Terra Cotta
Related services: Conditions Surveys, Working Drawings, Field Testing, Inspection Services, Lab Testing, Mockups, Probes, Research, Specifications