79th Street Rotunda
Location: New York, New York
Year Built: 1937
Original Architect: Clinton Lloyd, Gilmore David Clark
The 79th Street Rotunda was planned by former New York City/State Parks Commissioner Robert Moses, designed by architect and engineer Clinton Lloyd, and completed in 1937. Constructed to bridge the railroad tracks below and allow easy access to and from the Henry Hudson Parkway, it is located at the terminus of West 79th Street, between the 79th Street Boat Basin Marina in the Hudson River and the Henry Hudson Parkway. Owned and operated by the NYC Department of Parks and Recreation, the Rotunda is a three-level concrete and masonry structure comprised of an elevated traffic circle, a plaza-level arcaded rotunda with a restaurant, fountain, and Guastavino tile vaulted ceilings, and an underground parking garage. The Rotunda Complex is a contributing element within the Riverside Park and Riverside Drive Scenic Landmark designated in 1980 by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC). It is also a contributing structure in the Riverside Park and Drive historic site listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The project involves the complete rehabilitation of the Rotunda complex to restore the historic elements, bring it to 21st century standards and provide space for contemporary program needs. BCA is the historic preservation consultant overseeing the removal, salvage, re-installation, repair, and restoration of all historic fabric including the exterior granite ashlar masonry walls, Guastavino ceilings, masonry fountain, terra cotta tile grilles, quarry tile, hexagonal field stone, bronze sculpture, and historic bronze railings.