Barnstable Superior Courthouse
Location: Barnstable, Massachusetts
Year Built: 1831
Original Architect: Isaiah Rogers
Barnstable Superior Courthouse is an important historic courthouse on a rise in a prominent location in Barnstable Village. The original building was constructed in 1831-32 in the Greek Revival style. The current building incorporates five subsequent additions. The building is historically significant due to its integrity of location, design, setting, materials and workmanship. The building is individually listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and is a contributing structure in Old King’s Highway Historic District.
BCA conducted research on the history of the building, and documented current conditions, treatment recommendations, probable costs, phasing options, and priorities for restoration.
BCA conducted a thorough exterior envelope survey to evaluate the condition of the Quincy granite and cast stone cornice elements. The large doric columns, cornice, entablature, pediment on the 1831 building and 1906 additions were constructed of wood with a sanded paint system to mimic granite.