The Bruce C. Bolling Municipal Building integrates three historic buildings into the new transportation center and city office complex. The Ferdinand Building, built in 1895 and designed by John Lyman Faxon, is a triangular, five story, Baroque Revival building, constructed of limestone, terra cotta, decorative multicolored brick, marble and granite. The Curtis Building, built in 1888, is a brick building with brownstone trim, while the Waterman Building, built in 1890, is primarily granite.
BCA provided architectural conservation consulting services for the full restoration of the historic building materials. Scope of work included existing conditions surveys; preparation of construction documents and project monitoring during construction. BCA also led the project’s review with the Boston Landmarks Commission, and advised in the development of a permanent Historic Interpretive Exhibit that reused materials from earlier buildings on the site.
Awards: Mayor Thomas M. Menino Award, Harleston Parker Medal by Boston Society of Architects, Boston Preservation Alliance Award, Rudy Bruner Award for Urban Excellence Finalist