Location: New York, New York
Year Built: 1923, 1927
During the initial planning stages of Columbia University's project to create its new world-class campus in the Manhattanville section of Harlem, BCA advised the university and its architects on preservation issues related to the historic industrial buildings in the neighborhood. The culmination of this work involved preparing historic preservation plans for the former Studebaker (1923) and Warren Nash (1927) showrooms and service centers, which were used to guide the rehabilitation and adaptive reuse of these buildings as part of the new campus.
BCA performed archival research, reviewed existing conditions, documented changes over time, performed historic preservation design review, coordinated with the NY State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO), and prepared detailed planning documents to guide adaptive reuse.