Skip to main content
Building Conservation Associates

Steel

Moynihan Station, Farley Postal Lobby

Moynihan Station, Farley Postal Lobby Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1913Original Architect: McKim, Mead & White The James A. Farley Building was constructed from 1909 to 1913 according to the design of William Mitchell Kendall of McKim, Mead & White. The firm's design for a monumental Beaux-Arts building located in the business center of Manhattan features a grand row of twenty Corinthian columns along its principal facade on Eighth Avenue. The building was officially opened as the Pennsylvania Terminal Post Office on September 1, 1914. In 1918, the Pennsylvania Terminal...

U.S. Custom House, Pennsylvania

U.S. Custom House, Pennsylvania Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Year Built: 1932-34 Original Architect: Ritter & Shay  Philadelphia’s United States Custom House was designed by architects Ritter & Shay and constructed from 1932 to 1934. The towering art deco structure was a deliberate “pump-priming” investment by the federal government in the midst of the Great Depression; the construction of the Custom House employed nearly 4,000 workers. BCA was hired to evaluate finishes deterioration at the monumental metal windows at the Custom House’s base. The deterioration was particularly...

University of Pennsylvania, 3808-3810 Walnut Street

University of Pennsylvania, 3808-3810 Walnut Street Location: Philadelphia, PennsylvaniaYear Built: 1898Original Architect: W Frisbey Smith 3808-3810 Walnut Street is located in the heart of the University of Pennsylvania’s urban campus. The three and one-half story twin was designed by Philadelphia architect W. Frisbey Smith and built in 1898. The facade features iron-spot Roman brick and is heavily ornamented with copper metalwork. BCA performed a paint analysis to determine the building’s original exterior paint colors and oversaw the restoration of these colors to the building. BCA also...

Trinity College, Long Walk

Trinity College, Long Walk Location: Hartford, ConnecticutYear Built: 1878, 1883, 1878Original Architect: William Burges The Long Walk at Trinity College, designed by the English architect, William Burges, was built in 1878 and is an important example of late 19th century collegiate architecture and of the High Victorian Gothic style in America. It is comprised of three polychromatic masonry buildings - Seabury and Jarvis Halls and Northam Tower. The buildings are outstanding examples of Collegiate Gothic architecture. BCA assessed the condition of the exterior masonry, leaded and steel...

Selwyn Theater

Selwyn Theater Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1918Original Architect: George Keister American Airlines Theatre, originally named the Selwyn Theater, is located on 42nd Street in in Manhattan's Theater District, was designed by George Keister in the Italian Renaissance Style and constructed in 1918. The theater consisted of a six-story office tower facing 42nd Street and a theater auditorium behind the office tower facing 43rd Street. In 1999, the auditorium was rehabilitated and the office tower was replaced with a ten-story building with a contemporary glass façade, marquee, entrance,...

45th Road Courthouse Square Station

45th Road Courthouse Square Station Location: Queens, New YorkYear Built: 1916Original Architect: Squire Joseph Vickers BCA provided documentation and design documents for the station renovation as part of a larger commercial development project. 45th Road–Court House Square station was built in 1916 to extend the Interborough Rapid Transit Company's Flushing Line to Long Island City, Queens. in 1940, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) took over the Interborough Rapid Transit Company in 1940 and made small changes, such as lengthening the platform, to the elevated rail station....

Radio City Music Hall

Radio City Music Hall Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1932Original Architect: Edward Durrell Stone Designed by Edward Durrell Stone with interiors by Donald Desky, the Music Hall was completed in 1932 and was the largest theater at the time of its completion. The exterior of the music hall and its public interior spaces, as well as some furnishings, are designated New York City and National Historic landmarks. As historic preservation consultant, BCA performed archival research, documented and catalogued building elements and noted their condition. BCA conducted on-site investigation...

Queens Public Library at Jackson Heights

Queens Public Library at Jackson Heights Location: Queens, New York Year Built: 1954 Original Architect: Simeon Heller  The Jackson Heights Library branch of the Queens Public Library is a 1953 International-style building located at 35-51 81st Street in Jackson Heights, Queens, designed by architect Simeon Heller. As part of the Jackson Heights Historic District, the library is a designated New York City Landmark, and all exterior rehabilitative work on the building is subject to review by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission. The library is also a contributing resource in the...

One Madison Avenue

One Madison Avenue Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1893-1909, 1953Original Architect: Napoleon Le Brun & Sons, D. Everett Waid One Madison Avenue, the MetLife Tower, located on Madison Square Park since 1890, is closely intertwined with the history of the city itself. The Tower (50 stories) was the tallest building in the world when it was erected in 1909 and is still a prominent fixture of the New York City skyline. BCA was the primary design consultant for the exterior restoration of the tower. Restoration work included removing decades of accumulated soiling from the exterior...

Moynihan Train Station

Moynihan Train Station Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1913Original Architect: McKim, Mead & White The James A. Farley Building was constructed from 1909 to 1913 according to the design of William Mitchell Kendall of McKim, Mead & White. The firm's design for a monumental Beaux-Arts building located in the business center of Manhattan features a grand row of twenty Corinthian columns along its principal facade on Eighth Avenue. The building was officially opened as the Pennsylvania Terminal Post Office on September 1, 1914. In 1918, the Pennsylvania Terminal Post Office...

Miller House & Garden

Miller House & Garden Location: Columbus, Indiana Original Architect: Eero SaarinenYear Built: 1957 The Miller House and Garden in Columbus, Indiana, is one of the country’s most highly regarded examples of mid-century Modernist residences. It was designed by Eero Saarinen, with interiors by Alexander Girard and landscape design by Daniel Urban Kiley. The Miller House and Garden was designated a National Historic Landmark in 2000. BCA is part of a multi-disciplinary team that is preparing a Conservation Master Plan of the Miller House and Garden with the goals to articulate an overarching...

Grand Central Terminal

Grand Central Terminal Location: New York, New York Year Built: 1913Original Architect: Warren & Wetmore Grand Central Terminal, designed by Reed & Stem and Warren & Wetmore and completed in 1913, is one of New York City’s preeminent architectural landmarks. The terminal stands as a Beaux-Arts monument to America’s Railway Age and was constructed as the crown jewel of the Vanderbilt Empire’s New York Central Railroad. Designated as a New York City Landmark in 1967 by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC), and an Interior Landmark in 1980, Grand Central Terminal...

General Motors Tech. Center

General Motors Tech. Center Location: Warren, MichiganYear Built: 1949-1970Original Architect: Eero Saarinen (1956) Thomas Church, Landscape Architect (1956) Argonaut (1956) General Motors Corporate Campus often called the Tech Center was designed by Eero Saarinen in 1956. Located in Warren, Michigan, the campus over 50 buildings exemplary of the International Style. The campus is designated a Historic Landmark of Michigan and is also listed on the National Register of Historic Places. BCA’s work on the multi-billion dollar restoration and rehabilitation of the nearly mile-square complex began...

Fenway Park

Fenway Park Location: Boston, MassachusettsYear Built: 1912Original Architect: James E. McLaughlin Opened in 1912, Fenway Park is the oldest major league baseball park in the United States and is designated as a National Landmark. Fenway Park was originally designed by James E. McLaughlin and is constructed of steel, brick and concrete and is comprised of several buildings making up the park, its most famous being the original 1912 Yawkey Building. As part of a comprehensive restoration, funded in part by Federal Historic Tax Credits, BCA has provided the Red Sox with services including...

Faneuil Hall Marketplace

Faneuil Hall Marketplace Location: Boston, MassachusettsYear Built: 1742Original Architect: John Smibert (original); Charles Bulfinch (1805 expansion) Faneuil Hall Market place was built in 1742, commissioned by Peter Faneuil, a wealthy merchant, to accommodate Boston’s growing buying power. The market sold fish, meat, and produce and was the site of speeches given by Samuel Adams and James Otis. The Marketplace was expanded in 1806 by, famed architect, Charles Bullfinch in the Greek Revival style and was later merged with neighboring markets. Faneuil Hall was designated a National Historic...

Emerson College, Little Building

Emerson College, Little Building Location: Boston, MassachusettsYear Built: 1917Original Architect: Clarence Blackall The Little Building was originally built as an office building, known as “The City Under One Roof”. This 12-story steel-framed building features highly elaborate cast stone cladding, in more than 100 mold patterns, as well as decorative cast iron panels and window frames, with decorative terrazzo and mosaics at the entrances. A comprehensive redevelopment of the building by Emerson College reconstructed the upper floors, while retaining and restoring the first two floors of...

Eleven80

Eleven80 Location: Newark, New JerseyYear Built: 1930Original Architect: Frank Grad The Raymond Commerce Building was constructed in 1929 and is characterized by its Art-Deco geometric floral designs on embossed spandrel panels and decorative terra cotta. BCA was the restoration consultant for the conversion of this Art Deco office building into residential space. Restoration included materials conservation, cleaning and repointing, and recreation of missing features. BCA also served as Preservation Consultant for this project, which required Local, State, and Federal approvals, and created...

Carlton Hotel

Carlton Hotel Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1901-1907Original Architect: Harry Allen Jacobs Designed as the Hotel Seville by Harry Allen Jacobs and constructed between 1901 and 1907, 22 East 29th Street (now the James New York - NoMad) is typical of elegant New York City hotels built during the early years of the 20th century. The project included a complete exterior restoration, interior renovation, and new addition. BCA designed the exterior restoration and managed the Historic Tax Credit application for this project. BCA conducted an existing conditions survey, made treatment...

Avenues: The World School

Avenues: The World School Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1927-1928Original Architect: Cass Gilbert The R.C. Williams Warehouse, designed by Cass Gilbert and constructed in 1928, is located within the New York City West Chelsea Historic District and is a NYC Landmark. It is also individually listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The project involved the adaptive re-use of this building from a warehouse to a world-class educational facility for Avenues: The World School, an international private school opened in the fall of 2012. BCA was the historic preservation consultant...