Skip to main content
Building Conservation Associates

Bronze

Philadelphia Academy of Music

Philadelphia Academy of Music Location: Philadelphia, PennsylvaniaYear Built: 1857Original Architect: Napoleon LeBrun & Gustavus Runge The Academy of Music in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, was constructed from 1855 to 1857. The building is the oldest opera house still in use in America. The Academy’s interior is replete with ornamental painting and faux finishes including graining and marbling. The style of the exterior has been described as Italian Byzantine or Rundbogenstil, “roundarch style,” and features brick walls with brownstone ornamentation, including a second-story brownstone balcony...

U.S. Marine Corps War Memorial

U.S. Marine Corps War Memorial Location: Arlington, VirginiaYear Built: 1954Original Architect: Felix de Weldon & Horace W. Peaslee Dedicated in 1954 to honor all Marine Corps members who have died in service, the U.S. Marine Corps War Memorial (Iwo Jima Memorial) features a bronze sculpture by Felix de Weldon based on the iconic photograph taken by Joe Rosenthal of the flag raising at Iwo Jima from World War II. The memorial features dark gray exposed aggregate concrete designed and installed by Earley Studio using a process developed by John Joseph Earley, a pioneer in exposed aggregate...

University of Pennsylvania, Richards Medical Research Laboratory

University of Pennsylvania, Richards Medical Research Laboratory Location: Philadelphia, PennsylvaniaYear Built: 1962Original Architect: Louis Kahn The Richards Medical Research Laboratory, designed by the internationally influential Philadelphia architect Louis Kahn, was completed in 1962. It was immediately heralded as one of the most consequential buildings of the 20th century and one of Kahn’s greatest achievements due to Kahn’s unique approach to materials and building organization. The building’s significance and relatively high degree of integrity led to its designation as a National...

University of Pennsylvania, Perelman Political Science and Economics Center

University of Pennsylvania, Perelman Political Science and Economics Center Location: Philadelphia, PennsylvaniaYear Built: 1925Original Architect: Walter Smedley The University of Pennsylvania recently renovated the former West Philadelphia Title and Trust Building at 36th and Walnut to serve as the Perelman Center for Political Science and Economics. The original building, dating to 1925, was restored and an addition was constructed to accommodate its new use. BCA was brought in to assist with the cleaning of the light-colored brickwork and developing recommendations to address stone...

Thomas Jefferson Memorial

Thomas Jefferson Memorial Location: Washington, D.C.Year Built: 1941Original Architect: John Russell Pope, Daniel P. Higgins, Otto R. Eggers Designed by architect John Russell Pope and dedicated in 1941, the Thomas Jefferson Memorial is modeled after the Pantheon in Rome and features a classical marble portico, circular marble colonnade, and a marble dome roof. The Memorial’s location in the Tidal Basin makes it a prominent feature of the landscape of the National Mall and Washington, DC. The project at the Jefferson Memorial involved restoration of the portico and colonnade roofs, as well as...

St. Patrick's Cathedral

St. Patrick's Cathedral Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1879Original Architect: James Renwick Jr. Designed by James Renwick, St. Patrick’s Cathedral is the preeminent Catholic church in New York. BCA has been the restoration consultant for St. Patrick’s Cathedral for a decade. The site includes four structures: the Cathedral, Lady Chapel, Rectory, and Parish House. BCA’s efforts on the project started 10 years ago in the pre-design phase. BCA identified immediate interventions for emergency stabilization and routine maintenance; followed by a comprehensive conditions survey, and...

Rockefeller Center

Rockefeller Center Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1930-1939Original Architect: Raymond Hood This renowned 1930s Art Deco commercial complex, located in midtown Manhattan, set a precedent for business by integrating utility and comfort with aesthetic beauty. Now a designated Nation Historic District, Rockefeller Center’s 21-acre property is comprised of fourteen historic buildings, including Radio City Music Hall, totalling 7.4 million square feet of office and retail space, gardens, plazas, murals and sculpture. As the consultant to Rockefeller Group Inc., BCA developed a Master Plan...

Radio City Music Hall

Radio City Music Hall Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1932Original Architect: Edward Durrell Stone Designed by Edward Durrell Stone with interiors by Donald Desky, the Music Hall was completed in 1932 and was the largest theater at the time of its completion. The exterior of the music hall and its public interior spaces, as well as some furnishings, are designated New York City and National Historic landmarks. As historic preservation consultant, BCA performed archival research, documented and catalogued building elements and noted their condition. BCA conducted on-site investigation...

President's Park

President's Park Location: Washington, D.C.Year Built: 1913 (Lafayette Park Lodge) 1910 (General Von Steuben Statue) 1902 (Rochambeau Statue) 1891 (Jackston Statue) 1891 (Lafayette Statue) 1910 (Kosciuszko Statue)Original Architect: Alber Jaegers, Thomas R. Johnson (General Von Steuben Statue) Fernand Hammar (Rochambeau) Clark Mills (Jackson Statue) Alexandre Falguiere, Antonin Mercie (Lafayette Statue) Antoni Popiel (Kosciuszko Statue) BCA worked with the National Park Service (NPS) to perform a conditions assessment of the masonry portions of the U.S. Capitol Gatehouses and Gatepost located...

Federal Hall National Memorial

Federal Hall National Memorial Location: New York, New YorkOriginal Architect: Town & Davis, John FrazeeYear Built: 1834-1842 Modeled on the Parthenon by architects Alexander Jackson Davis and Ithiel Town and completed in 1842, Federal Hall National Memorial was designed as the first purpose-built U.S. Customs House for the Port of New York and constructed on the site of an earlier building where George Washington took the oath of office as our first President. In 1862, the building became the United States Sub-Treasury until 1920 when the Federal Reserve Bank replaced the Sub-Treasury...

Moynihan Train Station

Moynihan Train Station Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1913Original Architect: McKim, Mead & White The James A. Farley Building was constructed from 1909 to 1913 according to the design of William Mitchell Kendall of McKim, Mead & White. The firm's design for a monumental Beaux-Arts building located in the business center of Manhattan features a grand row of twenty Corinthian columns along its principal facade on Eighth Avenue. The building was officially opened as the Pennsylvania Terminal Post Office on September 1, 1914. In 1918, the Pennsylvania Terminal Post Office...

Moynihan Station, Farley Postal Lobby

Moynihan Station, Farley Postal Lobby Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1913Original Architect: McKim, Mead & White The James A. Farley Building was constructed from 1909 to 1913 according to the design of William Mitchell Kendall of McKim, Mead & White. The firm's design for a monumental Beaux-Arts building located in the business center of Manhattan features a grand row of twenty Corinthian columns along its principal facade on Eighth Avenue. The building was officially opened as the Pennsylvania Terminal Post Office on September 1, 1914. In 1918, the Pennsylvania Terminal...

Kings County Supreme Courthouse

Kings County Supreme Courthouse Location: Brooklyn, New York Year Built: 1932 Original Architect: King and Tackritz of Brooklyn  Kings County Courthouse was constructed in 1932, and designed by King and Tacktitz of Brooklyn in the Renaissance Revival style. BCA performed a preliminary assessment of the interior spaces and created preservation levels to ensure that the historic character and material integrity of the interiors is considered during the planning process for rehabilitation of the building. In the design phase, BCA conducted a conditions’ assessment survey of the plaster ceiling,...

Grand Central Terminal

Grand Central Terminal Location: New York, New York Year Built: 1913Original Architect: Warren & Wetmore Grand Central Terminal, designed by Reed & Stem and Warren & Wetmore and completed in 1913, is one of New York City’s preeminent architectural landmarks. The terminal stands as a Beaux-Arts monument to America’s Railway Age and was constructed as the crown jewel of the Vanderbilt Empire’s New York Central Railroad. Designated as a New York City Landmark in 1967 by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC), and an Interior Landmark in 1980, Grand Central Terminal...

Bas Relief Park

Bas Relief Park Location: Provincetown, MassachusettsYear Built: 1920Original Architect: Cyrus E. Dallin The Bas Relief is titled, "Signing the Compact" and is the central feature of Bas Relief Park, located on Bradford Street in the center of Provincetown, MA. designed by Cyris E. Dallin.The park and the Bas Relief were constructed in 1920 to commemorate the 300th anniversary of the Pilgrims’ landing. The granite structure is seventy feet long and twenty feet high in the center. It is a tripartite structure with classical detailing. The central portion is rectangular in shape, has...

Park Avenue Armory

Park Avenue Armory Location: New York, New York Original Architect: Charles Clinton Year Built: 1880 BCA was part of the project team developing a preservation approach for the adaptive reuse of Park Avenue Armory, historically known as the Seventh Regiment Armory. Built as both a military facility and a social club, the reception rooms on the first floor and the company rooms on the second floor were designed by the most prominent designers and artists of the day, including Louis Comfort Tiffany, Stanford White, Herter Brothers, and Pottier & Stymus. As the historic preservation consultant...

Newark Museum, Ballantine House

Newark Museum, Ballantine House Location: Newark, New Jersey Original Architect: George Edward HarneyYear Built: 1884 The Ballantine House is a red brick mansion with Wyoming Grey sandstone trim designed by George Edward Harney and constructed in 1885 for Jeannette and John Holme Ballantine of the celebrated Newark beer-brewing family. Located on the campus of The Newark Museum of Art (NMOA) in Newark, New Jersey, it is a major object in the collections of the NMOA and houses its period rooms and Decorative Arts galleries. The Ballantine House is a National Historic Landmark, a contributing...