Skip to main content
Building Conservation Associates

Conditions Surveys

Smithsonian Castle

Smithsonian Castle Location: Washington, D.C. Original Architect: Cluss and Schulze Year Built: 1881 BCA’s materials conservations services at two Smithsonian Institution buildings, The Arts and Industries Building (AIB) and Smithsonian Institution Building (SIB), began in 2021 as part of the Institution’s major Revitalize Historic Core project. The Renaissance Revival style Arts and Industries Building, completed in 1881, was designed by Adolf Cluss and Paul Schulze. The Smithsonian Institution Building, also known as The Castle, is the home to Smithsonian’s administrative offices and information...

The Mount

The Mount Location: Lennox, Massachusetts Year Built: 1902 The Mount, Edith Wharton’s classically inspired 113-acre estate and gardens in Lenox, MA, was constructed in 1902 and is a National Historic Landmark. The estate grounds include the Main House, the Stables, the Gatehouse and Greenhouse. BCA has worked with The Mount from 2012 to the present. During this time, BCA has provided historic preservation and architectural conservation consulting services for several projects, including: The Stable, the Mount Terrace, the Forecourt Walls, and currently the Gatehouse. BCA conducted building...

Vanderbilt Mansion

Vanderbilt Mansion Location: Hyde Park, New York Original Architect: McKim, Mead & WhiteYear Built: 1896-1899 Vanderbilt Mansion, designed by McKim, Mead, and White and built from 1896 to 1899, was used as a vacation home for Frederick Vanderbilt and is now a National Historic Site operated by the National Park Service (NPS). The grand Beaux-Arts estate has 54 rooms and is constructed of of Indiana Limestone. BCA was retained by the National Park Service to perform an on-site examination of the ceiling of the Dining Room. The ceiling was brought from Italy by Stanford White and installed...

Wicks House

Wicks House Location: Falmouth, Maine Year Built: 1790 The Dr. Francis Wicks House is a two-story residence constructed circa 1790. The Falmouth Historical Society was gifted the house in 1932 and through research and renovations uses the house to help interpret the history of Falmouth and its people. BCA completed an Historic Structure Report that included documenting the architectural history of the building through available archival research, analysis of existing building conditions, paint analysis, treatment recommendations, a prioritization timeline for anticipated work, and projection...

30th Street Station

30th Street Station Location: Philadelphia, PennsylvaniaYear Built: 1929-1933Original Architect: Graham, Anderson, Probst & White Philadelphia’s 30th Street Station was designed by the Chicago architectural firm of Graham, Anderson, Probst, and White, successor to D.H. Burnham & Company, and was constructed by the Pennsylvania Railroad between 1927 and 1933. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978, 30th Street Station is notable for its streamlined Neoclassical design and Art Deco interior. BCA provided a range of historic preservation services to help guide the making...

66 Allen Street

66 Allen Street Location: New York, New York Year Built: 1886 Original Architect: Paul F. Schoen  Designated as a New York City Historic Landmark in 2012 by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission, 66 Allen Street was part of the structure that was the former Edward Ridley & Son Department Store. The store, built in 1886, was designed in the art deco style by Paul F. Schoen and was once the largest department store in Manhattan's Lower East Side BCA was the restoration consultant for the exterior restoration of the structure. BCA conducted a hands-on conditions assessment of...

177 Huntington Avenue

177 Huntington Avenue Location: Boston, Massachusetts Year Built: 1972 Original Architect: I.M. Pei & Partners and Araldo Cossutta Associated Architects  The Christian Science Plaza was designed in the 1970’s by I. M. Pei & Associates. The Church added new concrete structures and landscaping to existing historic church buildings to create a unified complex. One of these buildings, 177 Huntington Avenue, or the Plaza's Administration Building was built in 1972. This Modernist building is constructed of concrete and is a listed Boston Landmark. BCA performed cleaning tests, including...

306 Dartmouth, Ames-Webster Mansion

306 Dartmouth, Ames-Webster Mansion Location: Boston, MassachusettsYear Built: 1872Original Architect: Peabody and Stearns The Ames-Webster Mansion, built for Frederick Ames, a local industrial tycoon, is located on the corner of Dartmouth Street and Commonwealth Avenue in Boston. It was designed by the notable architectural firm of Peabody and Stearns and built in 1872 in the High Victorian style. In 1882, architects John H. Sturgis and Charles Brigham designed and added a majestic tower, porte cochere and conservatory. There are stained glass skylights designed by the famous John LaFarge on...

Amtrak

Amtrak BCA holds a term contract with Amtrak for Environmental and Historic Preservation Services. BCA’s key responsibilities include: preparing Section 106 documentation packages; consulting with Amtrak project managers to determine Section 106 needs; coordinating with the NEPA process and Amtrak NEPA staff; conducting Section 106 consulting party outreach and follow-up; and applying technical expertise in reviewing consultant products and performing preservation design review on behalf of Amtrak. Recent projects completed through BCA’s contract include an archeological assessment of the...

Andrew W. Mellon Auditorium

Andrew W. Mellon Auditorium Location: Washington, D.C.Year Built: 1934Original Architect: Arthur Brown, Jr. The Departmental Auditorium was constructed from 1932 to 1934 as the connecting wing between the new Interstate Commerce Commission and Department of Labor buildings. The complex of three buildings was San Francisco architect Arthur Brown, Jr.’s contribution to the government’s larger Federal Triangle development. In 1987, the Auditorium was renamed for Andrew W. Mellon, Treasury Secretary during the Federal Triangle project. Upon its completion, the Auditorium became the largest government-owned...

Avenues: The World School

Avenues: The World School Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1927-1928Original Architect: Cass Gilbert The R.C. Williams Warehouse, designed by Cass Gilbert and constructed in 1928, is located within the New York City West Chelsea Historic District and is a NYC Landmark. It is also individually listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The project involved the adaptive re-use of this building from a warehouse to a world-class educational facility for Avenues: The World School, an international private school opened in the fall of 2012. BCA was the historic preservation consultant...

Barnstable Superior Courthouse

Barnstable Superior Courthouse Location: Barnstable, Massachusetts Year Built: 1831 Original Architect: Isaiah Rogers  Barnstable Superior Courthouse is an important historic courthouse on a rise in a prominent location in Barnstable Village. The original building was constructed in 1831-32 in the Greek Revival style. The current building incorporates five subsequent additions. The building is historically significant due to its integrity of location, design, setting, materials and workmanship. The building is individually listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and is a contributing...

Baruch College

Baruch College Baruch College is one of the senior colleges in the City University of New York (CUNY) system. Founded in 1847 as the Free Academy, it was the first institution to offer free higher education to the public in the United States. BCA served as historic preservation consultant on a variety of projects over twenty years. Newman Library The Lexington Avenue Cable Car Company was transformed into the Newman Library by Baruch College in the early 1990s. BCA was responsible for the entire restoration of the brick and terra cotta façade of this Italian Renaissance-style building. Vertical...

Bas Relief Park

Bas Relief Park Location: Provincetown, MassachusettsYear Built: 1920Original Architect: Cyrus E. Dallin The Bas Relief is titled, "Signing the Compact" and is the central feature of Bas Relief Park, located on Bradford Street in the center of Provincetown, MA. designed by Cyris E. Dallin.The park and the Bas Relief were constructed in 1920 to commemorate the 300th anniversary of the Pilgrims’ landing. The granite structure is seventy feet long and twenty feet high in the center. It is a tripartite structure with classical detailing. The central portion is rectangular in shape, has...

Belmont Chapel

Belmont Chapel Location: Newport, Rhode IslandYear Built: 1886Original Architect: George C. Mason & Son, William Gosling Belmont Chapel, located in Island Cemetery in Newport, Rhode Island, was designed in the gothic revival style by George Champlin Mason, Sr, and was constructed in 1886 as a memorial to Jane Pauline Belmont, who died in 1875 at the age of 19. In 1891 the Belmont family hired the prominent architect Richard Morris Hunt to redesign the interior and exterior, for comfort and aesthetic purposes. Hunt added additional Gothic-style structural and sculptural elements to...

Boston City Hall

Boston City Hall Location: Boston, Massachusetts Year Built: 1968 Original Architect: Kallmann McKinnell & Knowles  https://www.bostonpreservation.org/advocacy-project/boston-city-hall-conservation-management-plan Boston City Hall was designed by Kallmann, McKinnell, and Knowles as part of a nation-wide competition. It is internationally recognized as a masterwork of 1960s modernism and civic design. Boston City Hall has been the seat of municipal government in the City of Boston since the building opened to the public in February 1969. BCA completed Boston City Hall’s Conservation Management...

Boston Public Library

Boston Public Library Location: Boston, Massachusetts Year Built: 1895 Original Architect: Charles Follen McKim  The Boston Public Library, built in 1895, is a grand Classical Revival style structure located in the heart of Copley Square and is a local and National Landmark. Conceived as a “palace for the people,” it exemplifies Boston’s 19th century municipal pride as well as Charles Follen McKim’s genius for integrating architecture and art. A modern addition was added in 1971, designed by renowned architect Philip Johnson and has local Landmark designation. BCA prepared a Historic Structure...

Boston University Castle (Dahod Family Alumni Center)

Boston University Castle (Dahod Family Alumni Center) Location: Boston, MassachusettsYear Built: 1915Original Architect: Chapman and Frazer Built in 1915, The Boston University Castle was designed by architects Chapman and Frazer in the Tudor Revival style as a private residence in the Back Bay West Architectural Historic District. In 1939 it was donated to Boston University and recently became the Dahod Family Alumni Center. The large Tudor Revival style castle-like building is clad in sandstone and includes leaded glass windows and a slate roof. BCA surveyed the building and prepared drawings...

Brooklyn Public Library, Eastern Parkway Branch

Brooklyn Public Library, Eastern Parkway Branch Location: Brooklyn, New York Year Built: 1914 Original Architect: Raymond Almirall  Designed by Raymond F. Almirall, the Eastern Parkway Library branch of the Brooklyn Public Library is a 1914 Beaux Arts building constructed as part of industrialist Andrew Carnegie’s gift of $5.2 million to New York City for the construction of a comprehensive branch library system in the five boroughs. The Library is located at the corner of Eastern Parkway and Schenectady Avenue in Crown Heights, Brooklyn. Because of the library’s location on Eastern Parkway,...

Bruce C. Bolling Municipal Building

Bruce C. Bolling Municipal Building Location: Boston, Massachusetts Year Built: 1895 Original Architect: John Lyman Faxon  The Bruce C. Bolling Municipal Building integrates three historic buildings into the new transportation center and city office complex. The Ferdinand Building, built in 1895 and designed by John Lyman Faxon, is a triangular, five story, Baroque Revival building, constructed of limestone, terra cotta, decorative multicolored brick, marble and granite. The Curtis Building, built in 1888, is a brick building with brownstone trim, while the Waterman Building, built in 1890,...