Skip to main content
Building Conservation Associates

Conditions Surveys

Calgary City Hall

Calgary City Hall Location: Calgary, Alberta Year Built: 1911 Original Architect: William M. Dodd  Calgary City Hall located in southern Alberta, Canada was built by William M. Dodd. Construction on the Richardsonian Romanesque style building was competed in 1911. Calgary City Hall is made mostly of Paskapoo Sandstone which originates in the area. The building is designated a National Historic Site of Canada and is surveyed under the Alberta Historic Resources Act.  BCA helped compile information for the Heritage Building Record System, Canada’s archive. BCA conducted archival research, aided...

Carlton Hotel

Carlton Hotel Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1901-1907Original Architect: Harry Allen Jacobs Designed as the Hotel Seville by Harry Allen Jacobs and constructed between 1901 and 1907, 22 East 29th Street (now the James New York - NoMad) is typical of elegant New York City hotels built during the early years of the 20th century. The project included a complete exterior restoration, interior renovation, and new addition. BCA designed the exterior restoration and managed the Historic Tax Credit application for this project. BCA conducted an existing conditions survey, made treatment...

Cathedral St. John The Divine

Cathedral St. John The Divine Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1892Original Architect: Heins & LaFarge, Ralph Adams Cram (1911) Located in Morningside Heights, the Cathedral of Saint John the Divine is one of the largest in the world. Dating from 1892, it evolved from the designs of Heins and LaFarge who were succeeded by Ralph Adams Cram. The Cathedral has never been completed. In 2017, the Cathedral and its Close were declared a New York City landmark. BCA has been assisting the Cathedral since 1995 with special projects. We have performed comprehensive interior and exterior...

Central Park Obelisk

Central Park Obelisk Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: Before 1425 BCE (in the park 1881) BCA was retained by the Central Park Conservancy to perform comprehensive conservation treatments to the ancient Egyptian monolith referred to as the “Central Park Obelisk”, and also popularly known by the misnomer “Cleopatra’s Needle”. The Obelisk is a tapered shaft of solid pink granite approximately 70’ high on a tall base of the same stone, originally quarried in Aswan and erected in Heliopolis to honor Pharaoh Thutmose, III and later Ramses II. It is thought to have been originally erected approximately...

Central Park Police Precinct

Central Park Police Precinct Location: New York, New York Year Built: 1871 Original Architect: Jacob Wrey Mould  The Central Park Police Precinct, a national and New York City landmark located on the site of the original Central Park stable complex, has been home to the New York City Police Department since 1936. Designed by Jacob Wrey Mould, and erected between 1869 and 1871, the stable complex was intended by park designers Frederick Law Olmstead and Calvert Vaux to form part of the Greensward Plan’s park administration complex, which was to include a police station, four other utilitarian...

Columbia University, Manhattanville Campus

Columbia University, Manhattanville Campus Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1923, 1927 During the initial planning stages of Columbia University's project to create its new world-class campus in the Manhattanville section of Harlem, BCA advised the university and its architects on preservation issues related to the historic industrial buildings in the neighborhood. The culmination of this work involved preparing historic preservation plans for the former Studebaker (1923) and Warren Nash (1927) showrooms and service centers, which were used to guide the rehabilitation and adaptive...

Connecticut State Capitol

Connecticut State Capitol Location: Hartford, Connecticut Year Built: 1871-1878 Original Architect: Richard Upjohn  The Connecticut State Capitol was designed by Richard Upjohn in the Eastlake style with French and Gothic Revival elements and constructed from 1871-78. Located in Hartford, it is the third capitol building for the State of Connecticut since the American Revolution. A National Historic Landmark designated by the National Park Service and listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the Connecticut State Capitol is constructed of marble quarried in East Canaan, Connecticut,...

Contee Farm Complex

Contee Farm Complex Location: Edgewater, Maryland The campus of the Smithsonian Environmental Research Center (SERC) in Edgewater, Maryland, contains thousands of acres of protected land along the shore of the Chesapeake Bay. The Smithsonian Institution (SI) retained BCA to perform a study of select historic assets on the campus. These assets, the Contee Farm Complex and the Sellman Tenant House, are monuments to the site’s long history of agriculture, and they stand in a landscape from which the visible legacy of hundreds of years of farming is slowly disappearing. The two sites date...

D.C. Courts

D.C. Courts Location: Washington, D.C. Year Built: 1820-1849 Original Architect: George Hadfield  BCA has served as the restoration consultant for the DC District Court system since 2005 and in that time has overseen the exterior restoration and repair of five historic courthouses. The limestone buildings date from the 1930s to the 1970s and include the original Washington, DC City Hall, now the DC Court of Appeals, which is a National Historic Landmark. BCA’s role at the five buildings has consisted of existing conditions assessments, laboratory and field testing, construction documents,...

First Battery Armory

First Battery Armory Location: New York, New York Year Built: 1903Original Architect: Horgan & Slattery The 1903 former First Battery Armory at 56 West 66th Street, designed by architects Horgan & Slattery, is an individual New York City Landmark and is one of a few extant historic armories in New York City. From 1903 until 1977 the building served as a National Guard armory. From 1977 until 2010, it was used as a television studio and is often referred to as the Disney Armory. It currently holds ESPN cable company offices. The project consisted of exterior and interior rehabilitation...

Ed Sullivan Theater

Ed Sullivan Theater Location: New York, New York Year Built: 1927Original Architect: Herbert J. Krapp BCA was the restoration consultant for the 1993 restoration of the interior. The Ed Sullivan Theatre, located in Midtown Manhattan's Theater District, is famous for hosting the The Ed Sullivan show and several CBS Late Night shows such as "Late Night with David Letterman" and the current "The Late Show with Stephen Colbert". The building, Originally known as the Hammerstien Theatre was built from 1926-1927 in the Neo-Gothic Style by Herbert J. Krapp is listed on the National Register of...

Hollywood Masonic Temple

Hollywood Masonic Temple Location: Los Angeles, CaliforniaYear Built: 1926Original Architect: John C. Austin Designed by John C. Austin, the façade was conceived in a neo-classical mode while the interior was an eclectic mix of neo classical and Arts and Crafts detailing. Originally a masonic temple, the building now serves as a television studio and is part of the El Capitan Entertainment Centre. BCA created Historic American Building Survey (HABS) documentation for the building, including creating measured drawings, historic research, and preservation guidelines. Subsequently, BCA oversaw...

Eleven80

Eleven80 Location: Newark, New JerseyYear Built: 1930Original Architect: Frank Grad The Raymond Commerce Building was constructed in 1929 and is characterized by its Art-Deco geometric floral designs on embossed spandrel panels and decorative terra cotta. BCA was the restoration consultant for the conversion of this Art Deco office building into residential space. Restoration included materials conservation, cleaning and repointing, and recreation of missing features. BCA also served as Preservation Consultant for this project, which required Local, State, and Federal approvals, and created...

Emerson College, Little Building

Emerson College, Little Building Location: Boston, MassachusettsYear Built: 1917Original Architect: Clarence Blackall The Little Building was originally built as an office building, known as “The City Under One Roof”. This 12-story steel-framed building features highly elaborate cast stone cladding, in more than 100 mold patterns, as well as decorative cast iron panels and window frames, with decorative terrazzo and mosaics at the entrances. A comprehensive redevelopment of the building by Emerson College reconstructed the upper floors, while retaining and restoring the first two floors of...

Faneuil Hall Marketplace

Faneuil Hall Marketplace Location: Boston, MassachusettsYear Built: 1742Original Architect: John Smibert (original); Charles Bulfinch (1805 expansion) Faneuil Hall Market place was built in 1742, commissioned by Peter Faneuil, a wealthy merchant, to accommodate Boston’s growing buying power. The market sold fish, meat, and produce and was the site of speeches given by Samuel Adams and James Otis. The Marketplace was expanded in 1806 by, famed architect, Charles Bullfinch in the Greek Revival style and was later merged with neighboring markets. Faneuil Hall was designated a National Historic...

Fenway Park

Fenway Park Location: Boston, MassachusettsYear Built: 1912Original Architect: James E. McLaughlin Opened in 1912, Fenway Park is the oldest major league baseball park in the United States and is designated as a National Landmark. Fenway Park was originally designed by James E. McLaughlin and is constructed of steel, brick and concrete and is comprised of several buildings making up the park, its most famous being the original 1912 Yawkey Building. As part of a comprehensive restoration, funded in part by Federal Historic Tax Credits, BCA has provided the Red Sox with services including...

Filene's Burnham Building

Filene's Burnham Building Location: Boston, MassachusettsYear Built: 1911Original Architect: Daniel H. Burnham The Filene’s Building was designed by Daniel Burnham in 1912 as the flagship store for William Filene and Sons’ regional retail empire. The brick and terra cotta building is known as a shining example of Beaux Arts architecture in Boston and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1989. The building currently houses retail shops, office space and residential units. BCA provided a building survey, treatment recommendations, and construction documents for the original...

First Presbyterian Church

First Presbyterian Church Location: Stamford, ConnecticutYear Built: 1958Original Architect: Wallace K. Harrison The First Presbyterian Church, located in Stamford, Connecticut, was designed by Wallace K. Harrison of the firm Harrison and Abramovitz, and dedicated in 1958. Due to the unique shape of its Sanctuary, the modernist church is often referred to as the “Fish Church.” The complex consists of a Sanctuary, attached Parish House, and freestanding Carillion Tower. A defining feature of the Sanctuary is the dalle de verre stained glass windows, which compose most of the north, south,...

General Motors Tech. Center

General Motors Tech. Center Location: Warren, MichiganYear Built: 1949-1970Original Architect: Eero Saarinen (1956) Thomas Church, Landscape Architect (1956) Argonaut (1956) General Motors Corporate Campus often called the Tech Center was designed by Eero Saarinen in 1956. Located in Warren, Michigan, the campus over 50 buildings exemplary of the International Style. The campus is designated a Historic Landmark of Michigan and is also listed on the National Register of Historic Places. BCA’s work on the multi-billion dollar restoration and rehabilitation of the nearly mile-square complex began...

Granary Burying Ground

Granary Burying Ground Location: Boston, MassachusettsYear Built: 1660 Originally known as South Burying Ground, Granary Burying Ground was built in 1660 to accommodate Boston's growing population. Several legendary historic figures are buried here such as Samuel Adams, Paul Revere, and James Bowdoin. BCA worked on the restoration of the Granary Burying Ground’s 1840 exterior wall and fence along Tremont Street. The work included a conditions assessment and repair recommendations for the granite walls, preparation of masonry and cast iron restoration specifications, field testing and construction...