Skip to main content
Building Conservation Associates

Conditions Surveys

Grand Central Terminal

Grand Central Terminal Location: New York, New York Year Built: 1913Original Architect: Warren & Wetmore Grand Central Terminal, designed by Reed & Stem and Warren & Wetmore and completed in 1913, is one of New York City’s preeminent architectural landmarks. The terminal stands as a Beaux-Arts monument to America’s Railway Age and was constructed as the crown jewel of the Vanderbilt Empire’s New York Central Railroad. Designated as a New York City Landmark in 1967 by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC), and an Interior Landmark in 1980, Grand Central Terminal...

Harvard Stadium

Harvard Stadium Location: Cambridge, Massachusetts Year Built: 1903Original Architect: Louis J. Johnson Harvard Stadium's design was derived from the ancient Greek and Roman arenas, such as the Amphitheater at Verona, Italy and Athens Stadium in Greece. It was designed and engineered by Professor L.J. Johnson and J.R. Worchester, in consultation with C.F. McKim, of the architectural firm McKim, Mead and White. Built in 1903 and added on to in 1909, the Stadium is constructed with reinforced concrete. It was the first and largest reinforced concrete structure of its time and its building...

Hurley Building

Hurley Building Location: Boston, Massachusetts Year Built: 1971 Original Architect: Paul Rudolph, Constantino Nivola – mural artist  The Hurley Building is one of two buildings in the Boston Government Service Center. The Brutalist concrete structure, designed by Paul Rudolph, was completed in 1971. In the Lobby of the Hurley Building are two murals by Costantino Nivola. The murals, each measuring 25 feet tall and nearly 50 feet long, were created in 1969 by Nivola in his signature “Sgraffito” technique. Both murals depict the benefits of governmental service and assistance. BCA was retained...

Kings County Supreme Courthouse

Kings County Supreme Courthouse Location: Brooklyn, New York Year Built: 1932 Original Architect: King and Tackritz of Brooklyn  Kings County Courthouse was constructed in 1932, and designed by King and Tacktitz of Brooklyn in the Renaissance Revival style. BCA performed a preliminary assessment of the interior spaces and created preservation levels to ensure that the historic character and material integrity of the interiors is considered during the planning process for rehabilitation of the building. In the design phase, BCA conducted a conditions’ assessment survey of the plaster ceiling,...

Landmark Theater

Landmark Theater Location: Richmond, Virginia Year Built: 1927Original Architect: Marcellus E. Wright Sr., Charles M. Robinson The Landmark Theatre, newly named the "Altria Theatre" and historically known as “The Mosque”, is located in the Monroe Park Historic District of Richmond, Virginia. It was designed by the firm of Marcellus Wright, Sr. and Charles M. Robinson Associates in the Moorish style and constructed in 1926. Originally built for the Shriners, it has been in use for cultural and civic events since its purchase by the City of Richmond in the 1940’s. The Landmark Theatre is...

Long Wharf

Long Wharf Location: Boston, MassachusettsYear Built: 1848Original Architect: Isaiah Rogers The Custom House Block is a five-story building on Boston's Long Wharf that is clad primarily in brick, with the exception of its main, south elevation, which is clad in granite block. Built in 1848 in the Greek Revival style, the warehouse building postdates its supporting wharf by over a century. In 1966, the Long Wharf and Custom House Block were designated as a National Historic Landmark. The building is undergoing both interior modifications and exterior restoration to accommodate its reuse as commercial...

Los Angeles Central Library

Los Angeles Central Library Location: Los Angeles, California Year Built: 1926 Original Architect: Bertram Grosvenor Goodhue  The Los Angeles Central Library or the Richard J. Riordan Central Library complex is considered to be the largest library in the United States. The Main building was designed by Bertram Grosvenor Goodhue in the ancient Egyptian and Mediterranean Revival Style. The library, built in 1926, is a Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument and is in the National Register of Historic Places. BCA conducted a conditions survey of the exterior of the library and prepared plans and...

Massachusetts State House

Massachusetts State House Location: Boston, Massachusetts Year Built: 1798 Original Architect: Charles Bulfinch  The Massachusetts State House was designed by Charles Bulfinch in 1787 and completed in 1798. The Annex, designed by Charles Brigham, was added in 1895, and the East and West Wings were designed by Sturgis, Chapman and Andrews and constructed from 1914 to 1917. BCA performed a comprehensive survey of the interior of the State House buildings and contributed the Historic Value Rankings portion of the 2007 Master Plan. BCA has since worked on several other projects at the State House,...

Michigan State Capitol

Michigan State Capitol Location: Lansing, Michigan Year Built: 1871 Original Architect: Elijah E. Myers  The Michigan State Capitol, designed by architect Elijah E. Myers, was completed in 1879. In contrast to its somewhat restrained exterior, the Capitol’s lively interior decorative finishes are executed in a brilliant palette, employing a broad range of colors and painted details. BCA was part of a consulting team charged with evaluating the Capitol’s building systems and the impact of those systems on the building's historic fabric. BCA surveyed the entire interior of the building and conducted...

Monumental Church

Monumental Church Location: Richmond, VirginiaYear Built: 1812-1814Original Architect: Robert Mills The Monumental Church was designed by Robert Mills in 1812-1814 and is located in Richmond, Virginia. The Greek Revival building is considered one of the best examples of its kind in the United States, and was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1971. It is currently owned by Historic Richmond. The octagonal portion of the building is constructed of brick with stucco and the portico is constructed of Aquia Creek sandstone. During an exterior restoration campaign in 2003 stucco was applied...

Moynihan Station, Farley Postal Lobby

Moynihan Station, Farley Postal Lobby Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1913Original Architect: McKim, Mead & White The James A. Farley Building was constructed from 1909 to 1913 according to the design of William Mitchell Kendall of McKim, Mead & White. The firm's design for a monumental Beaux-Arts building located in the business center of Manhattan features a grand row of twenty Corinthian columns along its principal facade on Eighth Avenue. The building was officially opened as the Pennsylvania Terminal Post Office on September 1, 1914. In 1918, the Pennsylvania Terminal...

Moynihan Train Station

Moynihan Train Station Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1913Original Architect: McKim, Mead & White The James A. Farley Building was constructed from 1909 to 1913 according to the design of William Mitchell Kendall of McKim, Mead & White. The firm's design for a monumental Beaux-Arts building located in the business center of Manhattan features a grand row of twenty Corinthian columns along its principal facade on Eighth Avenue. The building was officially opened as the Pennsylvania Terminal Post Office on September 1, 1914. In 1918, the Pennsylvania Terminal Post Office...

National Pilgrim Memorial Meetinghouse

National Pilgrim Memorial Meetinghouse Location: Plymouth, MassachusettsYear Built: 1899Original Architect: Hartwell, Richardson & Driver The Mayflower Meetinghouse, historically known as the First Parish Church of Plymouth, is the fifth meetinghouse built as First Church, completed in 1899. First Church’s history can be traced to the Separatist congregation that sailed to Plymouth on the Mayflower in 1620. It is reported to be the oldest continuous church in New England. The notable Boston firm Hartwell, Richardson & Driver designed the new church in the Romanesque Revival style,...

New Amsterdam Theater

New Amsterdam Theater Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1903Original Architects: Herts & Tallant The New Amsterdam Theatre, home to the legendary Ziegfeld Follies, was designed by Herts and Tallant and opened in 1903. The interior and exterior are designated New York City Landmarks. At its opening, the theater, located on West 42nd Street in Times Square, was hailed as 'The House Beautiful.' The project involved the complete interior and exterior rehabilitation of the building to restore extant historic fabric, provide space for contemporary program needs, and bring the building...

New Haven Superior Courthouse

New Haven Superior Courthouse Location: New Haven, Connecticut Year Built: 1909-1914 Original architects: Allen & Williams  The New Haven Superior Courthouse was built from 1909 t0 1914 and designed by Allen and Williams. This three-story, Beaux Arts style building is made mostly of Vermont Marble and is a classic example of the City Beautiful Movement with soaring ionic porticos and mahogany and brass finishes. The courthouse was added to the National Register of Historic places in 2003. BCA was the prime historic preservation consultant for the Historical Restoration Study of the Courthouse....

New York City School Construction Authority

New York City School Construction Authority The New York City School Construction Authority (SCA) manages the design, construction and renovation of school buildings in New York City. BCA is pre-qualified by SCA for historic preservation. Here are a few of our featured projects. P.S. 34, Brooklyn, NY The oldest NYC public school building still in use, P.S. 34 was constructed just after the Civil War in 1867. BCA developed procedures for stripping lead-based paint without damaging the brick face of this Landmark building. BCA also formulated procedures and techniques to restore brickwork...

Nissequogue River State Park

Nissequogue River State Park Location: Kings Park, New YorkYear Built: 1890-1973Original Architects: William E. Haugaard Established in 2001, Nissequogue River State Park (NRSP) was originally the Kings Park Psychiatric Center (KPPC), a hospital complex run by the NY State Office of Mental Health that operated from 1895 through 1996. At its peak in the 1950s, the KKPC campus consisted of approximately 100 buildings from various periods set within a designed institutional landscape. After the hospital closed, the land and remaining buildings were transferred to NY State Parks. As part...

Octagon Apartments

Octagon Apartments Location: Roosevelt Island, New YorkYear Built: 1839Original Architects: Alexander Jackson Davis (1839) Joseph M. Dunn (1878) Designed by Alexander Jackson Davis in 1850, the Octagon, is the only surviving piece of the New York Pauper Lunatic Asylum. After a series of disastrous fires and years of neglect, the Octagon was left a ruin for over 20 years. In 1992, BCA developed a detailed plan for the stabilization and protection of this National Register Landmark. As part of the stabilization plan BCA prepared restoration plans and specification that were in accordance...

Old Ship Meeting House

Old Ship Meeting House Location: Hingham, MassachusettsYear Built: 1681 Old Ship Meeting House, built in 1681 is the last surviving New England meeting house of more than 200 built between 1629 and 1700. Listed on the National and State Registers of Historic Places, and designated a National Historic Landmark in 1962, it is a timber-frame building with a wood-shingled roof and a wood clapboard exterior. BCA produced an Historic Structure Report for the Old Ship Meeting House, including a prioritized treatment plan which guided the subsequent restoration. Work included roof replacement, structural...

Orchard Beach Bath House

Orchard Beach Bath House Location: Bronx, New YorkYear Built: 1936Original Architect: Aymar Embury BCA is the historic preservation and materials conservation consultant for the repair and restoration of the Orchard Beach Pavilion at Orchard Beach in Pelham Bay Park, Bronx, NY. Part of the New York City Department of Parks & Recreation, Orchard Beach was proclaimed “The Riviera of New York” when it was created in the 1930s. The monumental red brick, concrete, and glazed terra cotta Pavilion was designed by Aymar Embury in the Moderne style according to Beaux-Arts planning principles....