Location: New York, NYOriginal Architect: Stanford WhiteYear Built: 1889
The Century Association, located in Midtown Manhattan, was designed by Stanford White with the assistance of Joseph Wells and was built in 1891. The building serves as a clubhouse and meeting point for members of the Century Association, which includes New York’s most prominent families and several world-renowned artists. The building’s delicate façade is reminiscent of the Italian Renaissance consisting of a rusticated base, a central balcony, pilasters, and many other Italian-style flourishes. The Clubhouse...
Aiken Rhett House
Location: Charleston, South CarolinaYear Built: 1817
Owned and operated by Historic Charleston Foundation (HCF), the Aiken-Rhett House is nationally recognized as one of the few remaining examples of an early 19th-century urban townhouse complex in the United States. It survives with its main house as well as associated dependencies on its original building lot in Charleston.
BCA led the creation of a Feasibility Study which made key recommendations for improvements to the site’s stewardship, visitation, and staff capacity, and provided Historic Charleston Foundation with...
Location: Bronx, New York Original Architect: Heins & LaFarge Year Built: 1899-1910
Originally known as the New York Zoological Society, the Bronx Zoo opened its doors to the public on November 8, 1899, and for more than 120 years, it has been one of New York City's major cultural attractions. BCA has been involved in several projects at the Bronx Zoo. Astor Court Astor Court, the historic center of the Zoo, consists of raised, landscaped terraces, two grand stairs leading up to the Court, and an ensemble of the Zoo’s original Beaux-Arts buildings sited around the central Sea...
Location: Sarasota, FloridaOriginal Architect: Dwight James BaumYear Built: 1926
Located in Sarasota, Florida, Ca’d’Zan is the former winter residence of John and Mabel Ringling. Designed by Dwight James Baum, the mansion and estate were constructed from 1924-1926. Ca’ d’Zan, which means House of John in Venetian, is a contributing element in the Caples’-Ringlings' Estates Historic District listed on the National Register of Historic Places. John Ringling was one of five brothers internationally known for their ownership of "The Greatest Show on Earth", the Ringling Brothers and Barnum...
Location: New York, New YorkOriginal Architect: John McComb Jr.Year Built: 1802
Hamilton Grange is believed to be the only home owned by Alexander Hamilton, one of the United States’ founding fathers. Hamilton built this Federal style country house in 1801-02. Hamilton Grange was moved in 2008, to a site one block away within St. Nicholas Park. After the move was completed, the restoration of the exterior and interior began. This project focused on completing the interior and exterior architectural restoration and rehabilitation, including building and site improvements and...
Newark Museum, Ballantine House
Location: Newark, New Jersey Original Architect: George Edward HarneyYear Built: 1884
The Ballantine House is a red brick mansion with Wyoming Grey sandstone trim designed by George Edward Harney and constructed in 1885 for Jeannette and John Holme Ballantine of the celebrated Newark beer-brewing family. Located on the campus of The Newark Museum of Art (NMOA) in Newark, New Jersey, it is a major object in the collections of the NMOA and houses its period rooms and Decorative Arts galleries. The Ballantine House is a National Historic Landmark, a contributing...
Nichols House Museum
Location: Boston, Massachusetts Original Architect: Charles Bulfinch Year Built: 1804
The Nichols House, located on 55 Mount Vernon Street, is a Federal style row house built by Jonathan Mason in 1805. Its design is attributed to Charles Bulfinch. Arthur Nichols purchased the house in 1885, and his eldest daughter Rose Nichols left the house to be a museum upon her death in 1960. Listed on the State and National Register of Historic Places as a contributing building in the Beacon Hill Historic District. The House is shown with the furnishings of the Nichols family and...
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Original Architect: Wilson Eyre, Jr., Cope & Stewardson, and Frank Miles Day & Brother Year Built: 1896
Constructed over seven distinct building campaigns between 1899 and 2004, the University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology is a contributing resource to the University of Pennsylvania Campus Historic District. BCA was involved with the renovation of the 1915 Harrison Wing and the 1924 Coxe Wing Galleries. The Harrison Wing consists of an upper masonry rotunda and a lower masonry auditorium, with the upper and lower...
Pilgrim Hall Museum
Location: Plymouth, Massachusetts Original Architect: Alexander Parris Year Built: 1824
The Pilgrim Hall Museum, operated by the Pilgrim Society, is the oldest public museum in the United States. The Museum, designed by Alexander Parris, was opened in 1824 and is made mostly of Quincy Granite. Since its opening, the museum as survived many changes, including the addition of the Steinway Library in 1904. The library addition interior includes a Guastavino tile ceiling, a carved limestone fireplace, and a terrazzo floor with a mosaic tile border.
BCA's work included initial...
Second Bank of the U.S.
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Original Architect: William Strickland Year Built: 1818-1824
The Second Bank of the United States was designed in 1818 by William Strickland and constructed between 1819 and 1824. The building represents the federal government’s second attempt to establish a national banking institution and signified Philadelphia’s importance as the financial center of the country. The National Park Service acquired this building in 1939 and it now serves as a gallery museum open to the public within the Independence National Historical Park.
Location: Lennox, Massachusetts Year Built: 1902
The Mount, Edith Wharton’s classically inspired 113-acre estate and gardens in Lenox, MA, was constructed in 1902 and is a National Historic Landmark. The estate grounds include the Main House, the Stables, the Gatehouse and Greenhouse.
BCA has worked with The Mount from 2012 to the present. During this time, BCA has provided historic preservation and architectural conservation consulting services for several projects, including: The Stable, the Mount Terrace, the Forecourt Walls, and currently the Gatehouse.
BCA conducted building...
66 Allen Street
Location: New York, New York Year Built: 1886 Original Architect: Paul F. Schoen
Designated as a New York City Historic Landmark in 2012 by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission, 66 Allen Street was part of the structure that was the former Edward Ridley & Son Department Store. The store, built in 1886, was designed in the art deco style by Paul F. Schoen and was once the largest department store in Manhattan's Lower East Side
BCA was the restoration consultant for the exterior restoration of the structure. BCA conducted a hands-on conditions assessment of...
79th Street Rotunda
Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1937Original Architect: Clinton Lloyd, Gilmore David Clark
The 79th Street Rotunda was planned by former New York City/State Parks Commissioner Robert Moses, designed by architect and engineer Clinton Lloyd, and completed in 1937. Constructed to bridge the railroad tracks below and allow easy access to and from the Henry Hudson Parkway, it is located at the terminus of West 79th Street, between the 79th Street Boat Basin Marina in the Hudson River and the Henry Hudson Parkway. Owned and operated by the NYC Department of Parks and...
Avenues: The World School
Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1927-1928Original Architect: Cass Gilbert
The R.C. Williams Warehouse, designed by Cass Gilbert and constructed in 1928, is located within the New York City West Chelsea Historic District and is a NYC Landmark. It is also individually listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The project involved the adaptive re-use of this building from a warehouse to a world-class educational facility for Avenues: The World School, an international private school opened in the fall of 2012. BCA was the historic preservation consultant...
Baruch College is one of the senior colleges in the City University of New York (CUNY) system. Founded in 1847 as the Free Academy, it was the first institution to offer free higher education to the public in the United States. BCA served as historic preservation consultant on a variety of projects over twenty years.
The Lexington Avenue Cable Car Company was transformed into the Newman Library by Baruch College in the early 1990s. BCA was responsible for the entire restoration of the brick and terra cotta façade of this Italian Renaissance-style building.
Bas Relief Park
Location: Provincetown, MassachusettsYear Built: 1920Original Architect: Cyrus E. Dallin
The Bas Relief is titled, "Signing the Compact" and is the central feature of Bas Relief Park, located on Bradford Street in the center of Provincetown, MA. designed by Cyris E. Dallin.The park and the Bas Relief were constructed in 1920 to commemorate the 300th anniversary of the Pilgrims’ landing.
The granite structure is seventy feet long and twenty feet high in the center. It is a tripartite structure with classical detailing. The central portion is rectangular in shape, has...
Boston University Castle (Dahod Family Alumni Center)
Location: Boston, MassachusettsYear Built: 1915Original Architect: Chapman and Frazer
Built in 1915, The Boston University Castle was designed by architects Chapman and Frazer in the Tudor Revival style as a private residence in the Back Bay West Architectural Historic District. In 1939 it was donated to Boston University and recently became the Dahod Family Alumni Center. The large Tudor Revival style castle-like building is clad in sandstone and includes leaded glass windows and a slate roof. BCA surveyed the building and prepared drawings...
Bruce C. Bolling Municipal Building
Location: Boston, Massachusetts Year Built: 1895 Original Architect: John Lyman Faxon
The Bruce C. Bolling Municipal Building integrates three historic buildings into the new transportation center and city office complex. The Ferdinand Building, built in 1895 and designed by John Lyman Faxon, is a triangular, five story, Baroque Revival building, constructed of limestone, terra cotta, decorative multicolored brick, marble and granite. The Curtis Building, built in 1888, is a brick building with brownstone trim, while the Waterman Building, built in 1890,...
Calgary City Hall
Location: Calgary, Alberta Year Built: 1911 Original Architect: William M. Dodd
Calgary City Hall located in southern Alberta, Canada was built by William M. Dodd. Construction on the Richardsonian Romanesque style building was competed in 1911. Calgary City Hall is made mostly of Paskapoo Sandstone which originates in the area. The building is designated a National Historic Site of Canada and is surveyed under the Alberta Historic Resources Act.
BCA helped compile information for the Heritage Building Record System, Canada’s archive. BCA conducted archival research, aided...
Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1901-1907Original Architect: Harry Allen Jacobs
Designed as the Hotel Seville by Harry Allen Jacobs and constructed between 1901 and 1907, 22 East 29th Street (now the James New York - NoMad) is typical of elegant New York City hotels built during the early years of the 20th century. The project included a complete exterior restoration, interior renovation, and new addition. BCA designed the exterior restoration and managed the Historic Tax Credit application for this project. BCA conducted an existing conditions survey, made treatment...