Skip to main content
Building Conservation Associates

Construction Monitoring

Cathedral St. John The Divine

Cathedral St. John The Divine Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1892Original Architect: Heins & LaFarge, Ralph Adams Cram (1911) Located in Morningside Heights, the Cathedral of Saint John the Divine is one of the largest in the world. Dating from 1892, it evolved from the designs of Heins and LaFarge who were succeeded by Ralph Adams Cram. The Cathedral has never been completed. In 2017, the Cathedral and its Close were declared a New York City landmark. BCA has been assisting the Cathedral since 1995 with special projects. We have performed comprehensive interior and exterior...

Central Park Police Precinct

Central Park Police Precinct Location: New York, New York Year Built: 1871 Original Architect: Jacob Wrey Mould  The Central Park Police Precinct, a national and New York City landmark located on the site of the original Central Park stable complex, has been home to the New York City Police Department since 1936. Designed by Jacob Wrey Mould, and erected between 1869 and 1871, the stable complex was intended by park designers Frederick Law Olmstead and Calvert Vaux to form part of the Greensward Plan’s park administration complex, which was to include a police station, four other utilitarian...

D.C. Courts

D.C. Courts Location: Washington, D.C. Year Built: 1820-1849 Original Architect: George Hadfield  BCA has served as the restoration consultant for the DC District Court system since 2005 and in that time has overseen the exterior restoration and repair of five historic courthouses. The limestone buildings date from the 1930s to the 1970s and include the original Washington, DC City Hall, now the DC Court of Appeals, which is a National Historic Landmark. BCA’s role at the five buildings has consisted of existing conditions assessments, laboratory and field testing, construction documents,...

First Battery Armory

First Battery Armory Location: New York, New York Year Built: 1903Original Architect: Horgan & Slattery The 1903 former First Battery Armory at 56 West 66th Street, designed by architects Horgan & Slattery, is an individual New York City Landmark and is one of a few extant historic armories in New York City. From 1903 until 1977 the building served as a National Guard armory. From 1977 until 2010, it was used as a television studio and is often referred to as the Disney Armory. It currently holds ESPN cable company offices. The project consisted of exterior and interior rehabilitation...

Hollywood Masonic Temple

Hollywood Masonic Temple Location: Los Angeles, CaliforniaYear Built: 1926Original Architect: John C. Austin Designed by John C. Austin, the façade was conceived in a neo-classical mode while the interior was an eclectic mix of neo classical and Arts and Crafts detailing. Originally a masonic temple, the building now serves as a television studio and is part of the El Capitan Entertainment Centre. BCA created Historic American Building Survey (HABS) documentation for the building, including creating measured drawings, historic research, and preservation guidelines. Subsequently, BCA oversaw...

Emerson College, Little Building

Emerson College, Little Building Location: Boston, MassachusettsYear Built: 1917Original Architect: Clarence Blackall The Little Building was originally built as an office building, known as “The City Under One Roof”. This 12-story steel-framed building features highly elaborate cast stone cladding, in more than 100 mold patterns, as well as decorative cast iron panels and window frames, with decorative terrazzo and mosaics at the entrances. A comprehensive redevelopment of the building by Emerson College reconstructed the upper floors, while retaining and restoring the first two floors of...

Fenway Park

Fenway Park Location: Boston, MassachusettsYear Built: 1912Original Architect: James E. McLaughlin Opened in 1912, Fenway Park is the oldest major league baseball park in the United States and is designated as a National Landmark. Fenway Park was originally designed by James E. McLaughlin and is constructed of steel, brick and concrete and is comprised of several buildings making up the park, its most famous being the original 1912 Yawkey Building. As part of a comprehensive restoration, funded in part by Federal Historic Tax Credits, BCA has provided the Red Sox with services including...

General Motors Tech. Center

General Motors Tech. Center Location: Warren, MichiganYear Built: 1949-1970Original Architect: Eero Saarinen (1956) Thomas Church, Landscape Architect (1956) Argonaut (1956) General Motors Corporate Campus often called the Tech Center was designed by Eero Saarinen in 1956. Located in Warren, Michigan, the campus over 50 buildings exemplary of the International Style. The campus is designated a Historic Landmark of Michigan and is also listed on the National Register of Historic Places. BCA’s work on the multi-billion dollar restoration and rehabilitation of the nearly mile-square complex began...

Kings County Supreme Courthouse

Kings County Supreme Courthouse Location: Brooklyn, New York Year Built: 1932 Original Architect: King and Tackritz of Brooklyn  Kings County Courthouse was constructed in 1932, and designed by King and Tacktitz of Brooklyn in the Renaissance Revival style. BCA performed a preliminary assessment of the interior spaces and created preservation levels to ensure that the historic character and material integrity of the interiors is considered during the planning process for rehabilitation of the building. In the design phase, BCA conducted a conditions’ assessment survey of the plaster ceiling,...

Landmark Theater

Landmark Theater Location: Richmond, Virginia Year Built: 1927Original Architect: Marcellus E. Wright Sr., Charles M. Robinson The Landmark Theatre, newly named the "Altria Theatre" and historically known as “The Mosque”, is located in the Monroe Park Historic District of Richmond, Virginia. It was designed by the firm of Marcellus Wright, Sr. and Charles M. Robinson Associates in the Moorish style and constructed in 1926. Originally built for the Shriners, it has been in use for cultural and civic events since its purchase by the City of Richmond in the 1940’s. The Landmark Theatre is...

Long Wharf

Long Wharf Location: Boston, MassachusettsYear Built: 1848Original Architect: Isaiah Rogers The Custom House Block is a five-story building on Boston's Long Wharf that is clad primarily in brick, with the exception of its main, south elevation, which is clad in granite block. Built in 1848 in the Greek Revival style, the warehouse building postdates its supporting wharf by over a century. In 1966, the Long Wharf and Custom House Block were designated as a National Historic Landmark. The building is undergoing both interior modifications and exterior restoration to accommodate its reuse as commercial...

Massachusetts State House

Massachusetts State House Location: Boston, Massachusetts Year Built: 1798 Original Architect: Charles Bulfinch  The Massachusetts State House was designed by Charles Bulfinch in 1787 and completed in 1798. The Annex, designed by Charles Brigham, was added in 1895, and the East and West Wings were designed by Sturgis, Chapman and Andrews and constructed from 1914 to 1917. BCA performed a comprehensive survey of the interior of the State House buildings and contributed the Historic Value Rankings portion of the 2007 Master Plan. BCA has since worked on several other projects at the State House,...

Michigan State Capitol

Michigan State Capitol Location: Lansing, Michigan Year Built: 1871 Original Architect: Elijah E. Myers  The Michigan State Capitol, designed by architect Elijah E. Myers, was completed in 1879. In contrast to its somewhat restrained exterior, the Capitol’s lively interior decorative finishes are executed in a brilliant palette, employing a broad range of colors and painted details. BCA was part of a consulting team charged with evaluating the Capitol’s building systems and the impact of those systems on the building's historic fabric. BCA surveyed the entire interior of the building and conducted...

Moynihan Station, Farley Postal Lobby

Moynihan Station, Farley Postal Lobby Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1913Original Architect: McKim, Mead & White The James A. Farley Building was constructed from 1909 to 1913 according to the design of William Mitchell Kendall of McKim, Mead & White. The firm's design for a monumental Beaux-Arts building located in the business center of Manhattan features a grand row of twenty Corinthian columns along its principal facade on Eighth Avenue. The building was officially opened as the Pennsylvania Terminal Post Office on September 1, 1914. In 1918, the Pennsylvania Terminal...

Moynihan Train Station

Moynihan Train Station Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1913Original Architect: McKim, Mead & White The James A. Farley Building was constructed from 1909 to 1913 according to the design of William Mitchell Kendall of McKim, Mead & White. The firm's design for a monumental Beaux-Arts building located in the business center of Manhattan features a grand row of twenty Corinthian columns along its principal facade on Eighth Avenue. The building was officially opened as the Pennsylvania Terminal Post Office on September 1, 1914. In 1918, the Pennsylvania Terminal Post Office...

New York City School Construction Authority

New York City School Construction Authority The New York City School Construction Authority (SCA) manages the design, construction and renovation of school buildings in New York City. BCA is pre-qualified by SCA for historic preservation. Here are a few of our featured projects. P.S. 34, Brooklyn, NY The oldest NYC public school building still in use, P.S. 34 was constructed just after the Civil War in 1867. BCA developed procedures for stripping lead-based paint without damaging the brick face of this Landmark building. BCA also formulated procedures and techniques to restore brickwork...

New York State Capitol

New York State Capitol Location: Albany, New York Year Built: 1867-1899 Original Architects: Thomas Fuller, Leopold Eidlitz, Henry Hobson Richardson, Isaac G. Perry  The New York State Capitol was constructed between 1867 and 1899 under a series of supervising architects starting with Thomas Fuller, followed by Leopold Eidlitz and Henry Hobson Richardson, and lastly Isaac G. Perry. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and designated a National Historic Landmark in 1979. BCA has been involved in many restoration projects at the capitol, including a cleaning program...

Octagon Apartments

Octagon Apartments Location: Roosevelt Island, New YorkYear Built: 1839Original Architects: Alexander Jackson Davis (1839) Joseph M. Dunn (1878) Designed by Alexander Jackson Davis in 1850, the Octagon, is the only surviving piece of the New York Pauper Lunatic Asylum. After a series of disastrous fires and years of neglect, the Octagon was left a ruin for over 20 years. In 1992, BCA developed a detailed plan for the stabilization and protection of this National Register Landmark. As part of the stabilization plan BCA prepared restoration plans and specification that were in accordance...

Orchard Beach Bath House

Orchard Beach Bath House Location: Bronx, New YorkYear Built: 1936Original Architect: Aymar Embury BCA is the historic preservation and materials conservation consultant for the repair and restoration of the Orchard Beach Pavilion at Orchard Beach in Pelham Bay Park, Bronx, NY. Part of the New York City Department of Parks & Recreation, Orchard Beach was proclaimed “The Riviera of New York” when it was created in the 1930s. The monumental red brick, concrete, and glazed terra cotta Pavilion was designed by Aymar Embury in the Moderne style according to Beaux-Arts planning principles....

Philadelphia Academy of Music

Philadelphia Academy of Music Location: Philadelphia, PennsylvaniaYear Built: 1857Original Architect: Napoleon LeBrun & Gustavus Runge The Academy of Music in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, was constructed from 1855 to 1857. The building is the oldest opera house still in use in America. The Academy’s interior is replete with ornamental painting and faux finishes including graining and marbling. The style of the exterior has been described as Italian Byzantine or Rundbogenstil, “roundarch style,” and features brick walls with brownstone ornamentation, including a second-story brownstone balcony...