Skip to main content
Building Conservation Associates

Copper Roofing

Bronx Zoo

Bronx Zoo Location: Bronx, New York Original Architect: Heins & LaFarge Year Built: 1899-1910  Originally known as the New York Zoological Society, the Bronx Zoo opened its doors to the public on November 8, 1899, and for more than 120 years, it has been one of New York City's major cultural attractions. BCA has been involved in several projects at the Bronx Zoo. Astor Court Astor Court, the historic center of the Zoo, consists of raised, landscaped terraces, two grand stairs leading up to the Court, and an ensemble of the Zoo’s original Beaux-Arts buildings sited around the central Sea...

306 Dartmouth, Ames-Webster Mansion

306 Dartmouth, Ames-Webster Mansion Location: Boston, MassachusettsYear Built: 1872Original Architect: Peabody and Stearns The Ames-Webster Mansion, built for Frederick Ames, a local industrial tycoon, is located on the corner of Dartmouth Street and Commonwealth Avenue in Boston. It was designed by the notable architectural firm of Peabody and Stearns and built in 1872 in the High Victorian style. In 1882, architects John H. Sturgis and Charles Brigham designed and added a majestic tower, porte cochere and conservatory. There are stained glass skylights designed by the famous John LaFarge on...

1307 Locust Street

1307 Locust Street Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Year Built: 1851  BCA was the Historic Preservation Tax Credit (HPTC) consultant for the adaptive reuse of a rowhouse at 1307 Locust Street in Philadelphia, PA. The house, constructed in 1851, had been used since 1906 by the New Century Guild (NCG), a women’s membership organization that provides support to women in the labor force. The NCG used the building as a headquarters and clubhouse in virtually the same manner for over 100 years with very few modifications. In 1993, the building was selected as a prime example of a site of importance...

Cathedral St. John The Divine

Cathedral St. John The Divine Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1892Original Architect: Heins & LaFarge, Ralph Adams Cram (1911) Located in Morningside Heights, the Cathedral of Saint John the Divine is one of the largest in the world. Dating from 1892, it evolved from the designs of Heins and LaFarge who were succeeded by Ralph Adams Cram. The Cathedral has never been completed. In 2017, the Cathedral and its Close were declared a New York City landmark. BCA has been assisting the Cathedral since 1995 with special projects. We have performed comprehensive interior and exterior...