Location: New York, NYOriginal Architect: Stanford WhiteYear Built: 1889
The Century Association, located in Midtown Manhattan, was designed by Stanford White with the assistance of Joseph Wells and was built in 1891. The building serves as a clubhouse and meeting point for members of the Century Association, which includes New York’s most prominent families and several world-renowned artists. The building’s delicate façade is reminiscent of the Italian Renaissance consisting of a rusticated base, a central balcony, pilasters, and many other Italian-style flourishes. The Clubhouse...
Location: Bronx, New York Original Architect: Heins & LaFarge Year Built: 1899-1910
Originally known as the New York Zoological Society, the Bronx Zoo opened its doors to the public on November 8, 1899, and for more than 120 years, it has been one of New York City's major cultural attractions. BCA has been involved in several projects at the Bronx Zoo. Astor Court Astor Court, the historic center of the Zoo, consists of raised, landscaped terraces, two grand stairs leading up to the Court, and an ensemble of the Zoo’s original Beaux-Arts buildings sited around the central Sea...
Location: Sarasota, FloridaOriginal Architect: Dwight James BaumYear Built: 1926
Located in Sarasota, Florida, Ca’d’Zan is the former winter residence of John and Mabel Ringling. Designed by Dwight James Baum, the mansion and estate were constructed from 1924-1926. Ca’ d’Zan, which means House of John in Venetian, is a contributing element in the Caples’-Ringlings' Estates Historic District listed on the National Register of Historic Places. John Ringling was one of five brothers internationally known for their ownership of "The Greatest Show on Earth", the Ringling Brothers and Barnum...
Federal Hall National Memorial
Location: New York, New YorkOriginal Architect: Town & Davis, John FrazeeYear Built: 1834-1842
Modeled on the Parthenon by architects Alexander Jackson Davis and Ithiel Town and completed in 1842, Federal Hall National Memorial was designed as the first purpose-built U.S. Customs House for the Port of New York and constructed on the site of an earlier building where George Washington took the oath of office as our first President. In 1862, the building became the United States Sub-Treasury until 1920 when the Federal Reserve Bank replaced the Sub-Treasury...
Location: Fort Kent, MaineYear Built: 1839
Fort Kent sits along Fish River in Northern Maine. This iconic blockhouse of hand-hewn cedar timbers with overhanging second story was built circa 1838 and was named after Governor Edward Kent. Fort Kent is the last that remains of several forts built along the Saint John River by the state of Maine. BCA developed measured drawings adhering to the Historic American Building Survey standards. Traditional manual measurement techniques were employed to capture all elements of the building detailing dimensions, joinery, profiles, loopholes,...
Mayflower House Museum
Plymouth, MassachusettsOriginal Architect: Edward WinslowYear Built: 1754
The Mayflower Society House, owned by the General Society of Mayflower Descendants since 1941, is a two-story, high-style Georgian / Colonial Revival period home, built by Edward Winslow in 1754. In 1835 Ralph Waldo Emerson was married in this historic building. The property is located within the local Plymouth Historic District and the Plymouth Village National Register Historic District. BCA’s Historic Structure Report for the property included documenting the architectural history of the building...
Museo De Arte de Ponce
Location: Ponce, Puerto Rico Original Architect: Edward Durell StoneYear Built: 1965
Designed by architect Edward Durrell Stone and completed in 1965, Museo de Arte de Ponce is located in Ponce, Puerto Rico and is the largest museum in the Caribbean. Constructed of concrete and stucco, the Museo is a classic example of Modern architecture. This project involved the restoration of the exterior envelope. As the restoration consultant, BCA conducted a hands-on conditions assessment of the exterior stucco and concrete, performed field and laboratory materials testing,...
Newark Museum, Ballantine House
Location: Newark, New Jersey Original Architect: George Edward HarneyYear Built: 1884
The Ballantine House is a red brick mansion with Wyoming Grey sandstone trim designed by George Edward Harney and constructed in 1885 for Jeannette and John Holme Ballantine of the celebrated Newark beer-brewing family. Located on the campus of The Newark Museum of Art (NMOA) in Newark, New Jersey, it is a major object in the collections of the NMOA and houses its period rooms and Decorative Arts galleries. The Ballantine House is a National Historic Landmark, a contributing...
Nichols House Museum
Location: Boston, Massachusetts Original Architect: Charles Bulfinch Year Built: 1804
The Nichols House, located on 55 Mount Vernon Street, is a Federal style row house built by Jonathan Mason in 1805. Its design is attributed to Charles Bulfinch. Arthur Nichols purchased the house in 1885, and his eldest daughter Rose Nichols left the house to be a museum upon her death in 1960. Listed on the State and National Register of Historic Places as a contributing building in the Beacon Hill Historic District. The House is shown with the furnishings of the Nichols family and...
Park Avenue Armory
Location: New York, New York Original Architect: Charles Clinton Year Built: 1880
BCA was part of the project team developing a preservation approach for the adaptive reuse of Park Avenue Armory, historically known as the Seventh Regiment Armory. Built as both a military facility and a social club, the reception rooms on the first floor and the company rooms on the second floor were designed by the most prominent designers and artists of the day, including Louis Comfort Tiffany, Stanford White, Herter Brothers, and Pottier & Stymus.
As the historic preservation consultant...
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Original Architect: Wilson Eyre, Jr., Cope & Stewardson, and Frank Miles Day & Brother Year Built: 1896
Constructed over seven distinct building campaigns between 1899 and 2004, the University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology is a contributing resource to the University of Pennsylvania Campus Historic District. BCA was involved with the renovation of the 1915 Harrison Wing and the 1924 Coxe Wing Galleries. The Harrison Wing consists of an upper masonry rotunda and a lower masonry auditorium, with the upper and lower...
Pilgrim Hall Museum
Location: Plymouth, Massachusetts Original Architect: Alexander Parris Year Built: 1824
The Pilgrim Hall Museum, operated by the Pilgrim Society, is the oldest public museum in the United States. The Museum, designed by Alexander Parris, was opened in 1824 and is made mostly of Quincy Granite. Since its opening, the museum as survived many changes, including the addition of the Steinway Library in 1904. The library addition interior includes a Guastavino tile ceiling, a carved limestone fireplace, and a terrazzo floor with a mosaic tile border.
BCA's work included initial...
Second Bank of the U.S.
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Original Architect: William Strickland Year Built: 1818-1824
The Second Bank of the United States was designed in 1818 by William Strickland and constructed between 1819 and 1824. The building represents the federal government’s second attempt to establish a national banking institution and signified Philadelphia’s importance as the financial center of the country. The National Park Service acquired this building in 1939 and it now serves as a gallery museum open to the public within the Independence National Historical Park.
Location: Washington, D.C. Original Architect: Cluss and Schulze Year Built: 1881
BCA’s materials conservations services at two Smithsonian Institution buildings, The Arts and Industries Building (AIB) and Smithsonian Institution Building (SIB), began in 2021 as part of the Institution’s major Revitalize Historic Core project. The Renaissance Revival style Arts and Industries Building, completed in 1881, was designed by Adolf Cluss and Paul Schulze. The Smithsonian Institution Building, also known as The Castle, is the home to Smithsonian’s administrative offices and information...
Location: Hyde Park, New York Original Architect: McKim, Mead & WhiteYear Built: 1896-1899
Vanderbilt Mansion, designed by McKim, Mead, and White and built from 1896 to 1899, was used as a vacation home for Frederick Vanderbilt and is now a National Historic Site operated by the National Park Service (NPS). The grand Beaux-Arts estate has 54 rooms and is constructed of of Indiana Limestone. BCA was retained by the National Park Service to perform an on-site examination of the ceiling of the Dining Room. The ceiling was brought from Italy by Stanford White and installed...
66 Allen Street
Location: New York, New York Year Built: 1886 Original Architect: Paul F. Schoen
Designated as a New York City Historic Landmark in 2012 by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission, 66 Allen Street was part of the structure that was the former Edward Ridley & Son Department Store. The store, built in 1886, was designed in the art deco style by Paul F. Schoen and was once the largest department store in Manhattan's Lower East Side
BCA was the restoration consultant for the exterior restoration of the structure. BCA conducted a hands-on conditions assessment of...
177 Huntington Avenue
Location: Boston, Massachusetts Year Built: 1972 Original Architect: I.M. Pei & Partners and Araldo Cossutta Associated Architects
The Christian Science Plaza was designed in the 1970’s by I. M. Pei & Associates. The Church added new concrete structures and landscaping to existing historic church buildings to create a unified complex. One of these buildings, 177 Huntington Avenue, or the Plaza's Administration Building was built in 1972. This Modernist building is constructed of concrete and is a listed Boston Landmark. BCA performed cleaning tests, including...
Baruch College is one of the senior colleges in the City University of New York (CUNY) system. Founded in 1847 as the Free Academy, it was the first institution to offer free higher education to the public in the United States. BCA served as historic preservation consultant on a variety of projects over twenty years.
The Lexington Avenue Cable Car Company was transformed into the Newman Library by Baruch College in the early 1990s. BCA was responsible for the entire restoration of the brick and terra cotta façade of this Italian Renaissance-style building.
Bas Relief Park
Location: Provincetown, MassachusettsYear Built: 1920Original Architect: Cyrus E. Dallin
The Bas Relief is titled, "Signing the Compact" and is the central feature of Bas Relief Park, located on Bradford Street in the center of Provincetown, MA. designed by Cyris E. Dallin.The park and the Bas Relief were constructed in 1920 to commemorate the 300th anniversary of the Pilgrims’ landing.
The granite structure is seventy feet long and twenty feet high in the center. It is a tripartite structure with classical detailing. The central portion is rectangular in shape, has...
Boston Public Library
Location: Boston, Massachusetts Year Built: 1895 Original Architect: Charles Follen McKim
The Boston Public Library, built in 1895, is a grand Classical Revival style structure located in the heart of Copley Square and is a local and National Landmark. Conceived as a “palace for the people,” it exemplifies Boston’s 19th century municipal pride as well as Charles Follen McKim’s genius for integrating architecture and art. A modern addition was added in 1971, designed by renowned architect Philip Johnson and has local Landmark designation. BCA prepared a Historic Structure...