Aiken Rhett House
Location: Charleston, South CarolinaYear Built: 1817
Owned and operated by Historic Charleston Foundation (HCF), the Aiken-Rhett House is nationally recognized as one of the few remaining examples of an early 19th-century urban townhouse complex in the United States. It survives with its main house as well as associated dependencies on its original building lot in Charleston.
BCA led the creation of a Feasibility Study which made key recommendations for improvements to the site’s stewardship, visitation, and staff capacity, and provided Historic Charleston Foundation with...
Location: Bronx, New York Original Architect: Heins & LaFarge Year Built: 1899-1910
Originally known as the New York Zoological Society, the Bronx Zoo opened its doors to the public on November 8, 1899, and for more than 120 years, it has been one of New York City's major cultural attractions. BCA has been involved in several projects at the Bronx Zoo. Astor Court Astor Court, the historic center of the Zoo, consists of raised, landscaped terraces, two grand stairs leading up to the Court, and an ensemble of the Zoo’s original Beaux-Arts buildings sited around the central Sea...
Location: Sarasota, FloridaOriginal Architect: Dwight James BaumYear Built: 1926
Located in Sarasota, Florida, Ca’d’Zan is the former winter residence of John and Mabel Ringling. Designed by Dwight James Baum, the mansion and estate were constructed from 1924-1926. Ca’ d’Zan, which means House of John in Venetian, is a contributing element in the Caples’-Ringlings' Estates Historic District listed on the National Register of Historic Places. John Ringling was one of five brothers internationally known for their ownership of "The Greatest Show on Earth", the Ringling Brothers and Barnum...
Location: Dedham, MassachusettsOriginal Architect: Jonathan Fairbanks (settler)Year Built: 1636
The Fairbanks House, built around 1636, is the oldest extant timber frame structure in the northeastern United States. The house was built by settler Jonathan Fairbanks for his family when they moved to Dedham, Massachusetts. The family grew and the house was passed from generation to generation until it was turned into a museum in 1905. The house was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1966 and was deemed a National Historic Landmark in 1960. BCA conducted...
Federal Hall National Memorial
Location: New York, New YorkOriginal Architect: Town & Davis, John FrazeeYear Built: 1834-1842
Modeled on the Parthenon by architects Alexander Jackson Davis and Ithiel Town and completed in 1842, Federal Hall National Memorial was designed as the first purpose-built U.S. Customs House for the Port of New York and constructed on the site of an earlier building where George Washington took the oath of office as our first President. In 1862, the building became the United States Sub-Treasury until 1920 when the Federal Reserve Bank replaced the Sub-Treasury...
Museo De Arte de Ponce
Location: Ponce, Puerto Rico Original Architect: Edward Durell StoneYear Built: 1965
Designed by architect Edward Durrell Stone and completed in 1965, Museo de Arte de Ponce is located in Ponce, Puerto Rico and is the largest museum in the Caribbean. Constructed of concrete and stucco, the Museo is a classic example of Modern architecture. This project involved the restoration of the exterior envelope. As the restoration consultant, BCA conducted a hands-on conditions assessment of the exterior stucco and concrete, performed field and laboratory materials testing,...
National Museum of African American History and Culture
Location: Washington, D.C. Original Architect: David Adjaye, Phil Freelon, Zena Howard, J. Max Bond Jr.Year Built: 2016
The Smithsonian’s National Museum of African American History and Culture opened to the public in September 2016 after years of construction and decades of planning. The lower floors contain the History Galleries, which chronologically present artifacts telling the story of African Americans’ experience in, and contributions to, the United States. Several of these artifacts are entire structures transported from around...
Newark Museum, Ballantine House
Location: Newark, New Jersey Original Architect: George Edward HarneyYear Built: 1884
The Ballantine House is a red brick mansion with Wyoming Grey sandstone trim designed by George Edward Harney and constructed in 1885 for Jeannette and John Holme Ballantine of the celebrated Newark beer-brewing family. Located on the campus of The Newark Museum of Art (NMOA) in Newark, New Jersey, it is a major object in the collections of the NMOA and houses its period rooms and Decorative Arts galleries. The Ballantine House is a National Historic Landmark, a contributing...
Nichols House Museum
Location: Boston, Massachusetts Original Architect: Charles Bulfinch Year Built: 1804
The Nichols House, located on 55 Mount Vernon Street, is a Federal style row house built by Jonathan Mason in 1805. Its design is attributed to Charles Bulfinch. Arthur Nichols purchased the house in 1885, and his eldest daughter Rose Nichols left the house to be a museum upon her death in 1960. Listed on the State and National Register of Historic Places as a contributing building in the Beacon Hill Historic District. The House is shown with the furnishings of the Nichols family and...
Park Avenue Armory
Location: New York, New York Original Architect: Charles Clinton Year Built: 1880
BCA was part of the project team developing a preservation approach for the adaptive reuse of Park Avenue Armory, historically known as the Seventh Regiment Armory. Built as both a military facility and a social club, the reception rooms on the first floor and the company rooms on the second floor were designed by the most prominent designers and artists of the day, including Louis Comfort Tiffany, Stanford White, Herter Brothers, and Pottier & Stymus.
As the historic preservation consultant...
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Original Architect: Wilson Eyre, Jr., Cope & Stewardson, and Frank Miles Day & Brother Year Built: 1896
Constructed over seven distinct building campaigns between 1899 and 2004, the University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology is a contributing resource to the University of Pennsylvania Campus Historic District. BCA was involved with the renovation of the 1915 Harrison Wing and the 1924 Coxe Wing Galleries. The Harrison Wing consists of an upper masonry rotunda and a lower masonry auditorium, with the upper and lower...
Pilgrim Hall Museum
Location: Plymouth, Massachusetts Original Architect: Alexander Parris Year Built: 1824
The Pilgrim Hall Museum, operated by the Pilgrim Society, is the oldest public museum in the United States. The Museum, designed by Alexander Parris, was opened in 1824 and is made mostly of Quincy Granite. Since its opening, the museum as survived many changes, including the addition of the Steinway Library in 1904. The library addition interior includes a Guastavino tile ceiling, a carved limestone fireplace, and a terrazzo floor with a mosaic tile border.
BCA's work included initial...
Second Bank of the U.S.
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Original Architect: William Strickland Year Built: 1818-1824
The Second Bank of the United States was designed in 1818 by William Strickland and constructed between 1819 and 1824. The building represents the federal government’s second attempt to establish a national banking institution and signified Philadelphia’s importance as the financial center of the country. The National Park Service acquired this building in 1939 and it now serves as a gallery museum open to the public within the Independence National Historical Park.
Location: Washington, D.C. Original Architect: Cluss and Schulze Year Built: 1881
BCA’s materials conservations services at two Smithsonian Institution buildings, The Arts and Industries Building (AIB) and Smithsonian Institution Building (SIB), began in 2021 as part of the Institution’s major Revitalize Historic Core project. The Renaissance Revival style Arts and Industries Building, completed in 1881, was designed by Adolf Cluss and Paul Schulze. The Smithsonian Institution Building, also known as The Castle, is the home to Smithsonian’s administrative offices and information...
Location: Hyde Park, New York Original Architect: McKim, Mead & WhiteYear Built: 1896-1899
Vanderbilt Mansion, designed by McKim, Mead, and White and built from 1896 to 1899, was used as a vacation home for Frederick Vanderbilt and is now a National Historic Site operated by the National Park Service (NPS). The grand Beaux-Arts estate has 54 rooms and is constructed of of Indiana Limestone. BCA was retained by the National Park Service to perform an on-site examination of the ceiling of the Dining Room. The ceiling was brought from Italy by Stanford White and installed...
177 Huntington Avenue
Location: Boston, Massachusetts Year Built: 1972 Original Architect: I.M. Pei & Partners and Araldo Cossutta Associated Architects
The Christian Science Plaza was designed in the 1970’s by I. M. Pei & Associates. The Church added new concrete structures and landscaping to existing historic church buildings to create a unified complex. One of these buildings, 177 Huntington Avenue, or the Plaza's Administration Building was built in 1972. This Modernist building is constructed of concrete and is a listed Boston Landmark. BCA performed cleaning tests, including...
306 Dartmouth, Ames-Webster Mansion
Location: Boston, MassachusettsYear Built: 1872Original Architect: Peabody and Stearns
The Ames-Webster Mansion, built for Frederick Ames, a local industrial tycoon, is located on the corner of Dartmouth Street and Commonwealth Avenue in Boston. It was designed by the notable architectural firm of Peabody and Stearns and built in 1872 in the High Victorian style. In 1882, architects John H. Sturgis and Charles Brigham designed and added a majestic tower, porte cochere and conservatory. There are stained glass skylights designed by the famous John LaFarge on...
Andrew W. Mellon Auditorium
Location: Washington, D.C.Year Built: 1934Original Architect: Arthur Brown, Jr.
The Departmental Auditorium was constructed from 1932 to 1934 as the connecting wing between the new Interstate Commerce Commission and Department of Labor buildings. The complex of three buildings was San Francisco architect Arthur Brown, Jr.’s contribution to the government’s larger Federal Triangle development. In 1987, the Auditorium was renamed for Andrew W. Mellon, Treasury Secretary during the Federal Triangle project. Upon its completion, the Auditorium became the largest government-owned...
Baruch College is one of the senior colleges in the City University of New York (CUNY) system. Founded in 1847 as the Free Academy, it was the first institution to offer free higher education to the public in the United States. BCA served as historic preservation consultant on a variety of projects over twenty years.
The Lexington Avenue Cable Car Company was transformed into the Newman Library by Baruch College in the early 1990s. BCA was responsible for the entire restoration of the brick and terra cotta façade of this Italian Renaissance-style building.
Bas Relief Park
Location: Provincetown, MassachusettsYear Built: 1920Original Architect: Cyrus E. Dallin
The Bas Relief is titled, "Signing the Compact" and is the central feature of Bas Relief Park, located on Bradford Street in the center of Provincetown, MA. designed by Cyris E. Dallin.The park and the Bas Relief were constructed in 1920 to commemorate the 300th anniversary of the Pilgrims’ landing.
The granite structure is seventy feet long and twenty feet high in the center. It is a tripartite structure with classical detailing. The central portion is rectangular in shape, has...