Skip to main content
Building Conservation Associates

Finishes Analysis

Andrew W. Mellon Auditorium

Andrew W. Mellon Auditorium Location: Washington, D.C.Year Built: 1934Original Architect: Arthur Brown, Jr. The Departmental Auditorium was constructed from 1932 to 1934 as the connecting wing between the new Interstate Commerce Commission and Department of Labor buildings. The complex of three buildings was San Francisco architect Arthur Brown, Jr.’s contribution to the government’s larger Federal Triangle development. In 1987, the Auditorium was renamed for Andrew W. Mellon, Treasury Secretary during the Federal Triangle project. Upon its completion, the Auditorium became the largest government-owned...

St. Mary and St. Catherine of Siena Parish

St. Mary and St. Catherine of Siena Parish Location: Charleston, MassachusettsYear Built: 1887-1892Original Architect: Patrick C. Keely St Mary and St Catherine of Siena were once two churches that were combined in 2006 to form one parish. St Mary was constructed from 1887 to 1892 and designed by Patrick C. Keely. The Roman Catholic Church features a hammer-beam oak ceiling, ornate stained-glass windows, and delicately carved angels. St Catherine was completed in 1895 is a romanesque style building with four stained glass windows. The original interior colors had been painted over,...

U.S. Capitol

U.S. Capitol Location: Washington, D.C. Year Built: 1793 - 1811 Original Architect: William Thornton  BCA has been contracted by the Architect of the Capitol to document original decorative painting schemes in several locations throughout the Capitol building, including the first floor Senate Connecting Corridor and the second floor Senate Chamber entrance corridor. The Senate Connection Corridor links the well-known and highly ornate Brumidi Corridors to the central dome of the Capitol, and dates to the 1850s. The elaborate trompe l’oeil paintings that originally adorned the Senate Connecting...

Fenway Park

Fenway Park Location: Boston, MassachusettsYear Built: 1912Original Architect: James E. McLaughlin Opened in 1912, Fenway Park is the oldest major league baseball park in the United States and is designated as a National Landmark. Fenway Park was originally designed by James E. McLaughlin and is constructed of steel, brick and concrete and is comprised of several buildings making up the park, its most famous being the original 1912 Yawkey Building. As part of a comprehensive restoration, funded in part by Federal Historic Tax Credits, BCA has provided the Red Sox with services including...

Hollywood Masonic Temple

Hollywood Masonic Temple Location: Los Angeles, CaliforniaYear Built: 1926Original Architect: John C. Austin Designed by John C. Austin, the façade was conceived in a neo-classical mode while the interior was an eclectic mix of neo classical and Arts and Crafts detailing. Originally a masonic temple, the building now serves as a television studio and is part of the El Capitan Entertainment Centre. BCA created Historic American Building Survey (HABS) documentation for the building, including creating measured drawings, historic research, and preservation guidelines. Subsequently, BCA oversaw...

Ed Sullivan Theater

Ed Sullivan Theater Location: New York, New York Year Built: 1927Original Architect: Herbert J. Krapp BCA was the restoration consultant for the 1993 restoration of the interior. The Ed Sullivan Theatre, located in Midtown Manhattan's Theater District, is famous for hosting the The Ed Sullivan show and several CBS Late Night shows such as "Late Night with David Letterman" and the current "The Late Show with Stephen Colbert". The building, Originally known as the Hammerstien Theatre was built from 1926-1927 in the Neo-Gothic Style by Herbert J. Krapp is listed on the National Register of...

Central Park Police Precinct

Central Park Police Precinct Location: New York, New York Year Built: 1871 Original Architect: Jacob Wrey Mould  The Central Park Police Precinct, a national and New York City landmark located on the site of the original Central Park stable complex, has been home to the New York City Police Department since 1936. Designed by Jacob Wrey Mould, and erected between 1869 and 1871, the stable complex was intended by park designers Frederick Law Olmstead and Calvert Vaux to form part of the Greensward Plan’s park administration complex, which was to include a police station, four other utilitarian...

Michigan State Capitol

Michigan State Capitol Location: Lansing, Michigan Year Built: 1871 Original Architect: Elijah E. Myers  The Michigan State Capitol, designed by architect Elijah E. Myers, was completed in 1879. In contrast to its somewhat restrained exterior, the Capitol’s lively interior decorative finishes are executed in a brilliant palette, employing a broad range of colors and painted details. BCA was part of a consulting team charged with evaluating the Capitol’s building systems and the impact of those systems on the building's historic fabric. BCA surveyed the entire interior of the building and conducted...

Moynihan Station, Farley Postal Lobby

Moynihan Station, Farley Postal Lobby Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1913Original Architect: McKim, Mead & White The James A. Farley Building was constructed from 1909 to 1913 according to the design of William Mitchell Kendall of McKim, Mead & White. The firm's design for a monumental Beaux-Arts building located in the business center of Manhattan features a grand row of twenty Corinthian columns along its principal facade on Eighth Avenue. The building was officially opened as the Pennsylvania Terminal Post Office on September 1, 1914. In 1918, the Pennsylvania Terminal...

Radio City Music Hall

Radio City Music Hall Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1932Original Architect: Edward Durrell Stone Designed by Edward Durrell Stone with interiors by Donald Desky, the Music Hall was completed in 1932 and was the largest theater at the time of its completion. The exterior of the music hall and its public interior spaces, as well as some furnishings, are designated New York City and National Historic landmarks. As historic preservation consultant, BCA performed archival research, documented and catalogued building elements and noted their condition. BCA conducted on-site investigation...

University of Pennsylvania, 3808-3810 Walnut Street

University of Pennsylvania, 3808-3810 Walnut Street Location: Philadelphia, PennsylvaniaYear Built: 1898Original Architect: W Frisbey Smith 3808-3810 Walnut Street is located in the heart of the University of Pennsylvania’s urban campus. The three and one-half story twin was designed by Philadelphia architect W. Frisbey Smith and built in 1898. The facade features iron-spot Roman brick and is heavily ornamented with copper metalwork. BCA performed a paint analysis to determine the building’s original exterior paint colors and oversaw the restoration of these colors to the building. BCA also...

Bronx Zoo

Bronx Zoo Location: Bronx, New York Original Architect: Heins & LaFarge Year Built: 1899-1910  Originally known as the New York Zoological Society, the Bronx Zoo opened its doors to the public on November 8, 1899, and for more than 120 years, it has been one of New York City's major cultural attractions. BCA has been involved in several projects at the Bronx Zoo. Astor Court Astor Court, the historic center of the Zoo, consists of raised, landscaped terraces, two grand stairs leading up to the Court, and an ensemble of the Zoo’s original Beaux-Arts buildings sited around the central Sea...

1328 N. State Parkway

1328 N. State Parkway Location: Chicago, IllinoisYear Built: 1936Original Architect: Andrew N. Rebori BCA was the materials consultant for 1328 North State Parkway in Chicago, Illinois. Architect Andrew Rebori designed the property in 1936 as two separate houses connected by a central courtyard. The artist Lillian Florsheim purchased the property in 1946 for herself and her daughter, Nancy. In 1949, Florsheim began working with architect Bertrand Goldberg to renovate the property, a process that lasted until 1957. The most notable alteration was the installation of a “bridge” that connected...

177 Huntington Avenue

177 Huntington Avenue Location: Boston, Massachusetts Year Built: 1972 Original Architect: I.M. Pei & Partners and Araldo Cossutta Associated Architects  The Christian Science Plaza was designed in the 1970’s by I. M. Pei & Associates. The Church added new concrete structures and landscaping to existing historic church buildings to create a unified complex. One of these buildings, 177 Huntington Avenue, or the Plaza's Administration Building was built in 1972. This Modernist building is constructed of concrete and is a listed Boston Landmark. BCA performed cleaning tests, including...

Vanderbilt Mansion

Vanderbilt Mansion Location: Hyde Park, New York Original Architect: McKim, Mead & WhiteYear Built: 1896-1899 Vanderbilt Mansion, designed by McKim, Mead, and White and built from 1896 to 1899, was used as a vacation home for Frederick Vanderbilt and is now a National Historic Site operated by the National Park Service (NPS). The grand Beaux-Arts estate has 54 rooms and is constructed of of Indiana Limestone. BCA was retained by the National Park Service to perform an on-site examination of the ceiling of the Dining Room. The ceiling was brought from Italy by Stanford White and installed...

Massachusetts State House

Massachusetts State House Location: Boston, Massachusetts Year Built: 1798 Original Architect: Charles Bulfinch  The Massachusetts State House was designed by Charles Bulfinch in 1787 and completed in 1798. The Annex, designed by Charles Brigham, was added in 1895, and the East and West Wings were designed by Sturgis, Chapman and Andrews and constructed from 1914 to 1917. BCA performed a comprehensive survey of the interior of the State House buildings and contributed the Historic Value Rankings portion of the 2007 Master Plan. BCA has since worked on several other projects at the State House,...

Victoria Theater

Victoria Theater Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1917Original Architect: Thomas Lamb The Victoria Theater was designed by Thomas Lamb, with interior murals designed by Arthur Brounet. Located on 125th Street in Harlem, Upper Manhattan, the Theater opened in 1917 as a Vaudeville and Motion Picture house.  The project involves a complete renovation and adaptive reuse of the building and will preserve and foster Harlem’s cultural heritage through the retention and restoration of significant elements of the Theater. The complex will provide affordable and market rate housing, a new hotel,...

45th Road Courthouse Square Station

45th Road Courthouse Square Station Location: Queens, New YorkYear Built: 1916Original Architect: Squire Joseph Vickers BCA provided documentation and design documents for the station renovation as part of a larger commercial development project. 45th Road–Court House Square station was built in 1916 to extend the Interborough Rapid Transit Company's Flushing Line to Long Island City, Queens. in 1940, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) took over the Interborough Rapid Transit Company in 1940 and made small changes, such as lengthening the platform, to the elevated rail station....

University of Pennsylvania, Richards Medical Research Laboratory

University of Pennsylvania, Richards Medical Research Laboratory Location: Philadelphia, PennsylvaniaYear Built: 1962Original Architect: Louis Kahn The Richards Medical Research Laboratory, designed by the internationally influential Philadelphia architect Louis Kahn, was completed in 1962. It was immediately heralded as one of the most consequential buildings of the 20th century and one of Kahn’s greatest achievements due to Kahn’s unique approach to materials and building organization. The building’s significance and relatively high degree of integrity led to its designation as a National...

Frederick C. Robie House

Frederick C. Robie House Location: Chicago, IllinoisOriginal Architect: Frank Lloyd WrightYear Built: 1909 The Frederick C. Robie House, located in the Hyde Park neighborhood of Chicago, Illinois was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright and built in 1908-09, a period of time in Wright’s career that is considered by many to have been the most creative and productive of his life. Since its completion in 1909, the Robie House has stood as emblematic of Wright’s Prairie School of Architecture and is often characterized as a defining moment in the architect’s varied career. The Robie House is currently...