Location: Bronx, New York Original Architect: Heins & LaFarge Year Built: 1899-1910
Originally known as the New York Zoological Society, the Bronx Zoo opened its doors to the public on November 8, 1899, and for more than 120 years, it has been one of New York City's major cultural attractions. BCA has been involved in several projects at the Bronx Zoo. Astor Court Astor Court, the historic center of the Zoo, consists of raised, landscaped terraces, two grand stairs leading up to the Court, and an ensemble of the Zoo’s original Beaux-Arts buildings sited around the central Sea...
Federal Hall National Memorial
Location: New York, New YorkOriginal Architect: Town & Davis, John FrazeeYear Built: 1834-1842
Modeled on the Parthenon by architects Alexander Jackson Davis and Ithiel Town and completed in 1842, Federal Hall National Memorial was designed as the first purpose-built U.S. Customs House for the Port of New York and constructed on the site of an earlier building where George Washington took the oath of office as our first President. In 1862, the building became the United States Sub-Treasury until 1920 when the Federal Reserve Bank replaced the Sub-Treasury...
Park Avenue Armory
Location: New York, New York Original Architect: Charles Clinton Year Built: 1880
BCA was part of the project team developing a preservation approach for the adaptive reuse of Park Avenue Armory, historically known as the Seventh Regiment Armory. Built as both a military facility and a social club, the reception rooms on the first floor and the company rooms on the second floor were designed by the most prominent designers and artists of the day, including Louis Comfort Tiffany, Stanford White, Herter Brothers, and Pottier & Stymus.
As the historic preservation consultant...
Pilgrim Hall Museum
Location: Plymouth, Massachusetts Original Architect: Alexander Parris Year Built: 1824
The Pilgrim Hall Museum, operated by the Pilgrim Society, is the oldest public museum in the United States. The Museum, designed by Alexander Parris, was opened in 1824 and is made mostly of Quincy Granite. Since its opening, the museum as survived many changes, including the addition of the Steinway Library in 1904. The library addition interior includes a Guastavino tile ceiling, a carved limestone fireplace, and a terrazzo floor with a mosaic tile border.
BCA's work included initial...
Location: Falmouth, Maine Year Built: 1790
The Dr. Francis Wicks House is a two-story residence constructed circa 1790. The Falmouth Historical Society was gifted the house in 1932 and through research and renovations uses the house to help interpret the history of Falmouth and its people. BCA completed an Historic Structure Report that included documenting the architectural history of the building through available archival research, analysis of existing building conditions, paint analysis, treatment recommendations, a prioritization timeline for anticipated work, and projection...
79th Street Rotunda
Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1937Original Architect: Clinton Lloyd, Gilmore David Clark
The 79th Street Rotunda was planned by former New York City/State Parks Commissioner Robert Moses, designed by architect and engineer Clinton Lloyd, and completed in 1937. Constructed to bridge the railroad tracks below and allow easy access to and from the Henry Hudson Parkway, it is located at the terminus of West 79th Street, between the 79th Street Boat Basin Marina in the Hudson River and the Henry Hudson Parkway. Owned and operated by the NYC Department of Parks and...
Baruch College is one of the senior colleges in the City University of New York (CUNY) system. Founded in 1847 as the Free Academy, it was the first institution to offer free higher education to the public in the United States. BCA served as historic preservation consultant on a variety of projects over twenty years.
The Lexington Avenue Cable Car Company was transformed into the Newman Library by Baruch College in the early 1990s. BCA was responsible for the entire restoration of the brick and terra cotta façade of this Italian Renaissance-style building.
Bas Relief Park
Location: Provincetown, MassachusettsYear Built: 1920Original Architect: Cyrus E. Dallin
The Bas Relief is titled, "Signing the Compact" and is the central feature of Bas Relief Park, located on Bradford Street in the center of Provincetown, MA. designed by Cyris E. Dallin.The park and the Bas Relief were constructed in 1920 to commemorate the 300th anniversary of the Pilgrims’ landing.
The granite structure is seventy feet long and twenty feet high in the center. It is a tripartite structure with classical detailing. The central portion is rectangular in shape, has...
Boston Public Library
Location: Boston, Massachusetts Year Built: 1895 Original Architect: Charles Follen McKim
The Boston Public Library, built in 1895, is a grand Classical Revival style structure located in the heart of Copley Square and is a local and National Landmark. Conceived as a “palace for the people,” it exemplifies Boston’s 19th century municipal pride as well as Charles Follen McKim’s genius for integrating architecture and art. A modern addition was added in 1971, designed by renowned architect Philip Johnson and has local Landmark designation. BCA prepared a Historic Structure...
Boston University Castle (Dahod Family Alumni Center)
Location: Boston, MassachusettsYear Built: 1915Original Architect: Chapman and Frazer
Built in 1915, The Boston University Castle was designed by architects Chapman and Frazer in the Tudor Revival style as a private residence in the Back Bay West Architectural Historic District. In 1939 it was donated to Boston University and recently became the Dahod Family Alumni Center. The large Tudor Revival style castle-like building is clad in sandstone and includes leaded glass windows and a slate roof. BCA surveyed the building and prepared drawings...
Bruce C. Bolling Municipal Building
Location: Boston, Massachusetts Year Built: 1895 Original Architect: John Lyman Faxon
The Bruce C. Bolling Municipal Building integrates three historic buildings into the new transportation center and city office complex. The Ferdinand Building, built in 1895 and designed by John Lyman Faxon, is a triangular, five story, Baroque Revival building, constructed of limestone, terra cotta, decorative multicolored brick, marble and granite. The Curtis Building, built in 1888, is a brick building with brownstone trim, while the Waterman Building, built in 1890,...
Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1901-1907Original Architect: Harry Allen Jacobs
Designed as the Hotel Seville by Harry Allen Jacobs and constructed between 1901 and 1907, 22 East 29th Street (now the James New York - NoMad) is typical of elegant New York City hotels built during the early years of the 20th century. The project included a complete exterior restoration, interior renovation, and new addition. BCA designed the exterior restoration and managed the Historic Tax Credit application for this project. BCA conducted an existing conditions survey, made treatment...
Central Park Obelisk
Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: Before 1425 BCE (in the park 1881)
BCA was retained by the Central Park Conservancy to perform comprehensive conservation treatments to the ancient Egyptian monolith referred to as the “Central Park Obelisk”, and also popularly known by the misnomer “Cleopatra’s Needle”. The Obelisk is a tapered shaft of solid pink granite approximately 70’ high on a tall base of the same stone, originally quarried in Aswan and erected in Heliopolis to honor Pharaoh Thutmose, III and later Ramses II. It is thought to have been originally erected approximately...
Connecticut State Capitol
Location: Hartford, Connecticut Year Built: 1871-1878 Original Architect: Richard Upjohn
The Connecticut State Capitol was designed by Richard Upjohn in the Eastlake style with French and Gothic Revival elements and constructed from 1871-78. Located in Hartford, it is the third capitol building for the State of Connecticut since the American Revolution. A National Historic Landmark designated by the National Park Service and listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the Connecticut State Capitol is constructed of marble quarried in East Canaan, Connecticut,...
First Battery Armory
Location: New York, New York Year Built: 1903Original Architect: Horgan & Slattery
The 1903 former First Battery Armory at 56 West 66th Street, designed by architects Horgan & Slattery, is an individual New York City Landmark and is one of a few extant historic armories in New York City. From 1903 until 1977 the building served as a National Guard armory. From 1977 until 2010, it was used as a television studio and is often referred to as the Disney Armory. It currently holds ESPN cable company offices. The project consisted of exterior and interior rehabilitation...
Location: Newark, New JerseyYear Built: 1930Original Architect: Frank Grad
The Raymond Commerce Building was constructed in 1929 and is characterized by its Art-Deco geometric floral designs on embossed spandrel panels and decorative terra cotta.
BCA was the restoration consultant for the conversion of this Art Deco office building into residential space. Restoration included materials conservation, cleaning and repointing, and recreation of missing features.
BCA also served as Preservation Consultant for this project, which required Local, State, and Federal approvals, and created...
Faneuil Hall Marketplace
Location: Boston, MassachusettsYear Built: 1742Original Architect: John Smibert (original); Charles Bulfinch (1805 expansion)
Faneuil Hall Market place was built in 1742, commissioned by Peter Faneuil, a wealthy merchant, to accommodate Boston’s growing buying power. The market sold fish, meat, and produce and was the site of speeches given by Samuel Adams and James Otis. The Marketplace was expanded in 1806 by, famed architect, Charles Bullfinch in the Greek Revival style and was later merged with neighboring markets. Faneuil Hall was designated a National Historic...
Filene's Burnham Building
Location: Boston, MassachusettsYear Built: 1911Original Architect: Daniel H. Burnham
The Filene’s Building was designed by Daniel Burnham in 1912 as the flagship store for William Filene and Sons’ regional retail empire. The brick and terra cotta building is known as a shining example of Beaux Arts architecture in Boston and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1989. The building currently houses retail shops, office space and residential units. BCA provided a building survey, treatment recommendations, and construction documents for the original...
Granary Burying Ground
Location: Boston, MassachusettsYear Built: 1660
Originally known as South Burying Ground, Granary Burying Ground was built in 1660 to accommodate Boston's growing population. Several legendary historic figures are buried here such as Samuel Adams, Paul Revere, and James Bowdoin. BCA worked on the restoration of the Granary Burying Ground’s 1840 exterior wall and fence along Tremont Street. The work included a conditions assessment and repair recommendations for the granite walls, preparation of masonry and cast iron restoration specifications, field testing and construction...
Grand Central Terminal
Location: New York, New York Year Built: 1913Original Architect: Warren & Wetmore
Grand Central Terminal, designed by Reed & Stem and Warren & Wetmore and completed in 1913, is one of New York City’s preeminent architectural landmarks. The terminal stands as a Beaux-Arts monument to America’s Railway Age and was constructed as the crown jewel of the Vanderbilt Empire’s New York Central Railroad. Designated as a New York City Landmark in 1967 by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC), and an Interior Landmark in 1980, Grand Central Terminal...