Skip to main content
Building Conservation Associates

Granite

Landmark Theater

Landmark Theater Location: Richmond, Virginia Year Built: 1927Original Architect: Marcellus E. Wright Sr., Charles M. Robinson The Landmark Theatre, newly named the "Altria Theatre" and historically known as “The Mosque”, is located in the Monroe Park Historic District of Richmond, Virginia. It was designed by the firm of Marcellus Wright, Sr. and Charles M. Robinson Associates in the Moorish style and constructed in 1926. Originally built for the Shriners, it has been in use for cultural and civic events since its purchase by the City of Richmond in the 1940’s. The Landmark Theatre is...

Long Wharf

Long Wharf Location: Boston, MassachusettsYear Built: 1848Original Architect: Isaiah Rogers The Custom House Block is a five-story building on Boston's Long Wharf that is clad primarily in brick, with the exception of its main, south elevation, which is clad in granite block. Built in 1848 in the Greek Revival style, the warehouse building postdates its supporting wharf by over a century. In 1966, the Long Wharf and Custom House Block were designated as a National Historic Landmark. The building is undergoing both interior modifications and exterior restoration to accommodate its reuse as commercial...

Moynihan Station, Farley Postal Lobby

Moynihan Station, Farley Postal Lobby Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1913Original Architect: McKim, Mead & White The James A. Farley Building was constructed from 1909 to 1913 according to the design of William Mitchell Kendall of McKim, Mead & White. The firm's design for a monumental Beaux-Arts building located in the business center of Manhattan features a grand row of twenty Corinthian columns along its principal facade on Eighth Avenue. The building was officially opened as the Pennsylvania Terminal Post Office on September 1, 1914. In 1918, the Pennsylvania Terminal...

Moynihan Train Station

Moynihan Train Station Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1913Original Architect: McKim, Mead & White The James A. Farley Building was constructed from 1909 to 1913 according to the design of William Mitchell Kendall of McKim, Mead & White. The firm's design for a monumental Beaux-Arts building located in the business center of Manhattan features a grand row of twenty Corinthian columns along its principal facade on Eighth Avenue. The building was officially opened as the Pennsylvania Terminal Post Office on September 1, 1914. In 1918, the Pennsylvania Terminal Post Office...

New Haven Superior Courthouse

New Haven Superior Courthouse Location: New Haven, Connecticut Year Built: 1909-1914 Original architects: Allen & Williams  The New Haven Superior Courthouse was built from 1909 t0 1914 and designed by Allen and Williams. This three-story, Beaux Arts style building is made mostly of Vermont Marble and is a classic example of the City Beautiful Movement with soaring ionic porticos and mahogany and brass finishes. The courthouse was added to the National Register of Historic places in 2003. BCA was the prime historic preservation consultant for the Historical Restoration Study of the Courthouse....

Orchard Beach Bath House

Orchard Beach Bath House Location: Bronx, New YorkYear Built: 1936Original Architect: Aymar Embury BCA is the historic preservation and materials conservation consultant for the repair and restoration of the Orchard Beach Pavilion at Orchard Beach in Pelham Bay Park, Bronx, NY. Part of the New York City Department of Parks & Recreation, Orchard Beach was proclaimed “The Riviera of New York” when it was created in the 1930s. The monumental red brick, concrete, and glazed terra cotta Pavilion was designed by Aymar Embury in the Moderne style according to Beaux-Arts planning principles....

Prospect Park Boathouse

Prospect Park Boathouse Location: Brooklyn, New YorkYear Built: 1904Original Architect: Helmle & Huberty The Prospect Park Boathouse was designed by Helmle and Huberty and built from 1904-1907. Located on the Lullwater of the Lake in Prospect Park, Brooklyn, the boathouse is reminiscent of the original Pennsylvania Station as Helmle and Huberty were disciples of McKim, Meade, and White. Modeled on Sansovino's 16th-century Library at St. Mark's in Venice, the neoclassic Boathouse is listed as a historic site by the National Register of Historic Places and is a New York City Landmark.  The...

Rockefeller Center

Rockefeller Center Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1930-1939Original Architect: Raymond Hood This renowned 1930s Art Deco commercial complex, located in midtown Manhattan, set a precedent for business by integrating utility and comfort with aesthetic beauty. Now a designated Nation Historic District, Rockefeller Center’s 21-acre property is comprised of fourteen historic buildings, including Radio City Music Hall, totalling 7.4 million square feet of office and retail space, gardens, plazas, murals and sculpture. As the consultant to Rockefeller Group Inc., BCA developed a Master Plan...

Selwyn Theater

Selwyn Theater Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1918Original Architect: George Keister American Airlines Theatre, originally named the Selwyn Theater, is located on 42nd Street in in Manhattan's Theater District, was designed by George Keister in the Italian Renaissance Style and constructed in 1918. The theater consisted of a six-story office tower facing 42nd Street and a theater auditorium behind the office tower facing 43rd Street. In 1999, the auditorium was rehabilitated and the office tower was replaced with a ten-story building with a contemporary glass façade, marquee, entrance,...

Siloam Cemetery

Siloam Cemetery Location: Vineland, New JerseyYear Built: 1864Original Architect: H. M. Holbrook BCA performed a masonry assessment of four structures located within the Siloam Cemetery in Vineland, New Jersey. The cemetery was designed by local architect H. M. Holbrook and established in 1864. The site was described as a “Victorian-era ‘garden cemetery’” due to its abundance of flora and foliage with meandering paths through the grounds. BCA assessed masonry elements, including stone, mortar, brick, terra cotta, and slate tile, of four structures within the cemetery. The structures include...

St. Mary and St. Catherine of Siena Parish

St. Mary and St. Catherine of Siena Parish Location: Charleston, MassachusettsYear Built: 1887-1892Original Architect: Patrick C. Keely St Mary and St Catherine of Siena were once two churches that were combined in 2006 to form one parish. St Mary was constructed from 1887 to 1892 and designed by Patrick C. Keely. The Roman Catholic Church features a hammer-beam oak ceiling, ornate stained-glass windows, and delicately carved angels. St Catherine was completed in 1895 is a romanesque style building with four stained glass windows. The original interior colors had been painted over,...

St. Patrick's Cathedral

St. Patrick's Cathedral Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1879Original Architect: James Renwick Jr. Designed by James Renwick, St. Patrick’s Cathedral is the preeminent Catholic church in New York. BCA has been the restoration consultant for St. Patrick’s Cathedral for a decade. The site includes four structures: the Cathedral, Lady Chapel, Rectory, and Parish House. BCA’s efforts on the project started 10 years ago in the pre-design phase. BCA identified immediate interventions for emergency stabilization and routine maintenance; followed by a comprehensive conditions survey, and...

Union Station

Union Station Location: Washington, D.C.Year Built: 1903-1908Original Architect: Daniel H. Burnham Washington Union Station in the District of Columbia was designed by the esteemed architectural firm of Daniel Burnham & Company and was constructed between 1903 and 1908. This monumental Beaux-Arts train station is the gateway to our nation’s capital and services more than 100,000 visitors a day. The station was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1969. Union Station Redevelopment Corporation (USRC), stewards of Union Station since 1983, selected BCA to lead the development...

University of Pennsylvania, Perelman Political Science and Economics Center

University of Pennsylvania, Perelman Political Science and Economics Center Location: Philadelphia, PennsylvaniaYear Built: 1925Original Architect: Walter Smedley The University of Pennsylvania recently renovated the former West Philadelphia Title and Trust Building at 36th and Walnut to serve as the Perelman Center for Political Science and Economics. The original building, dating to 1925, was restored and an addition was constructed to accommodate its new use. BCA was brought in to assist with the cleaning of the light-colored brickwork and developing recommendations to address stone...

U.S. Custom House, Maine

U.S. Custom House, Maine Location: Portland, Maine Year Built: 1867–1872Original Architect: Alfred B. Mullett The Portland Custom House, a General Services Administration property, is located within the ‘Old Port’ waterfront district. It was built in 1867 and listed as a National Landmark in 1973. Designed in the Second Empire and Renaissance Revival styles by architect Alfred B. Mullet, Supervising Architect to the U.S Treasury Department. it exhibits a highly decorative cut granite stonework facade. BCA worked on a comprehensive restoration of the exterior masonry, slate roofing, and original...

U.S. Marine Corps War Memorial

U.S. Marine Corps War Memorial Location: Arlington, VirginiaYear Built: 1954Original Architect: Felix de Weldon & Horace W. Peaslee Dedicated in 1954 to honor all Marine Corps members who have died in service, the U.S. Marine Corps War Memorial (Iwo Jima Memorial) features a bronze sculpture by Felix de Weldon based on the iconic photograph taken by Joe Rosenthal of the flag raising at Iwo Jima from World War II. The memorial features dark gray exposed aggregate concrete designed and installed by Earley Studio using a process developed by John Joseph Earley, a pioneer in exposed aggregate...

Religious Liberty Statue

Religious Liberty Statue Location: Philadelphia, PennsylvaniaYear Installed: 1876Original Artist: Moses Ezekiel The Religious Liberty Statue conservation marks BCA’s first project, and the details of the treatment are noteworthy for the field of outdoor art conservation. S.A.T, Inc., and BCA (in consultation with Dr. George Wheeler) were commissioned by B’nai B’rith to move the statue to the National Museum of American Jewish History, near the Liberty Bell, and to conserve/restore it. The statue was originally installed in 1876, during America’s Industrial Revolution and the calcareous...