Skip to main content
Building Conservation Associates

HABS

Fort Kent

Fort Kent Location: Fort Kent, MaineYear Built: 1839 Fort Kent sits along Fish River in Northern Maine. This iconic blockhouse of hand-hewn cedar timbers with overhanging second story was built circa 1838 and was named after Governor Edward Kent. Fort Kent is the last that remains of several forts built along the Saint John River by the state of Maine. BCA developed measured drawings adhering to the Historic American Building Survey standards. Traditional manual measurement techniques were employed to capture all elements of the building detailing dimensions, joinery, profiles, loopholes,...

Newark Museum

Newark Museum Location: Newark, New Jersey Year Built: 1784 (Lyons Farm School House), 1861 (Polhemus House), 1885 (Ballantine House), 1870 (Ward Carriage House), 1929 (51 Central Avenue) BCA served as the historic preservation consultant to the Newark Museum during its proposed Signature Project campaign for strategic expansion. The Museum campus is located in the James Street Commons Historic District, listed on the New Jersey and National Registers of Historic Places. The Museum campus is a multi-property resource of urban buildings and landscapes from various periods that reflect the growth...

Newark Museum, Ballantine House

Newark Museum, Ballantine House Location: Newark, New Jersey Original Architect: George Edward HarneyYear Built: 1884 The Ballantine House is a red brick mansion with Wyoming Grey sandstone trim designed by George Edward Harney and constructed in 1885 for Jeannette and John Holme Ballantine of the celebrated Newark beer-brewing family. Located on the campus of The Newark Museum of Art (NMOA) in Newark, New Jersey, it is a major object in the collections of the NMOA and houses its period rooms and Decorative Arts galleries. The Ballantine House is a National Historic Landmark, a contributing...

Hollywood Masonic Temple

Hollywood Masonic Temple Location: Los Angeles, CaliforniaYear Built: 1926Original Architect: John C. Austin Designed by John C. Austin, the façade was conceived in a neo-classical mode while the interior was an eclectic mix of neo classical and Arts and Crafts detailing. Originally a masonic temple, the building now serves as a television studio and is part of the El Capitan Entertainment Centre. BCA created Historic American Building Survey (HABS) documentation for the building, including creating measured drawings, historic research, and preservation guidelines. Subsequently, BCA oversaw...

Old Ship Meeting House

Old Ship Meeting House Location: Hingham, MassachusettsYear Built: 1681 Old Ship Meeting House, built in 1681 is the last surviving New England meeting house of more than 200 built between 1629 and 1700. Listed on the National and State Registers of Historic Places, and designated a National Historic Landmark in 1962, it is a timber-frame building with a wood-shingled roof and a wood clapboard exterior. BCA produced an Historic Structure Report for the Old Ship Meeting House, including a prioritized treatment plan which guided the subsequent restoration. Work included roof replacement, structural...