Skip to main content
Building Conservation Associates

Inspection

Boston Public Library

Boston Public Library Location: Boston, Massachusetts Year Built: 1895 Original Architect: Charles Follen McKim  The Boston Public Library, built in 1895, is a grand Classical Revival style structure located in the heart of Copley Square and is a local and National Landmark. Conceived as a “palace for the people,” it exemplifies Boston’s 19th century municipal pride as well as Charles Follen McKim’s genius for integrating architecture and art. A modern addition was added in 1971, designed by renowned architect Philip Johnson and has local Landmark designation. BCA prepared a Historic Structure...

University of Pennsylvania, Laboratory for Research on the Structure of Matter

University of Pennsylvania, Laboratory for Research on the Structure of Matter Location: Philadelphia, PennsylvaniaYear Built: 1964Original Architect: Martin, Stewart, Noble & Class Designed by Martin, Stewart, Noble & Class and built in 1964, the Laboratory for Research on the Structure of Matter (LRSM) is the University of Pennsylvania’s center for material research. The building is constructed of exposed aggregate cast stone with a glass curtain wall system. BCA was involved with a facade repair project for the building to address water infiltration issues and damage to the cast stone....

University of Pennsylvania, Music and Morgan Building

University of Pennsylvania, Music and Morgan Building Location: Philadelphia, PennsylvaniaYear Built: 1890Original Architect: Cope & Stewardson The University of Pennsylvania Music Building, constructed in 1890, was designed by Cope & Stewardson and features brick, terra cotta, and sandstone. The building underwent a renovation project that included a comprehensive exterior restoration and a distinctively contemporary addition. Masonry restoration included cleaning, re-pointing, patching, and selective replacement of brick and terra cotta units. As the primary restoration consultants...

Michigan State Capitol

Michigan State Capitol Location: Lansing, Michigan Year Built: 1871 Original Architect: Elijah E. Myers  The Michigan State Capitol, designed by architect Elijah E. Myers, was completed in 1879. In contrast to its somewhat restrained exterior, the Capitol’s lively interior decorative finishes are executed in a brilliant palette, employing a broad range of colors and painted details. BCA was part of a consulting team charged with evaluating the Capitol’s building systems and the impact of those systems on the building's historic fabric. BCA surveyed the entire interior of the building and conducted...

Los Angeles Central Library

Los Angeles Central Library Location: Los Angeles, California Year Built: 1926 Original Architect: Bertram Grosvenor Goodhue  The Los Angeles Central Library or the Richard J. Riordan Central Library complex is considered to be the largest library in the United States. The Main building was designed by Bertram Grosvenor Goodhue in the ancient Egyptian and Mediterranean Revival Style. The library, built in 1926, is a Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument and is in the National Register of Historic Places. BCA conducted a conditions survey of the exterior of the library and prepared plans and...

Kings County Supreme Courthouse

Kings County Supreme Courthouse Location: Brooklyn, New York Year Built: 1932 Original Architect: King and Tackritz of Brooklyn  Kings County Courthouse was constructed in 1932, and designed by King and Tacktitz of Brooklyn in the Renaissance Revival style. BCA performed a preliminary assessment of the interior spaces and created preservation levels to ensure that the historic character and material integrity of the interiors is considered during the planning process for rehabilitation of the building. In the design phase, BCA conducted a conditions’ assessment survey of the plaster ceiling,...

Harvard Stadium

Harvard Stadium Location: Cambridge, Massachusetts Year Built: 1903Original Architect: Louis J. Johnson Harvard Stadium's design was derived from the ancient Greek and Roman arenas, such as the Amphitheater at Verona, Italy and Athens Stadium in Greece. It was designed and engineered by Professor L.J. Johnson and J.R. Worchester, in consultation with C.F. McKim, of the architectural firm McKim, Mead and White. Built in 1903 and added on to in 1909, the Stadium is constructed with reinforced concrete. It was the first and largest reinforced concrete structure of its time and its building...

Radio City Music Hall

Radio City Music Hall Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1932Original Architect: Edward Durrell Stone Designed by Edward Durrell Stone with interiors by Donald Desky, the Music Hall was completed in 1932 and was the largest theater at the time of its completion. The exterior of the music hall and its public interior spaces, as well as some furnishings, are designated New York City and National Historic landmarks. As historic preservation consultant, BCA performed archival research, documented and catalogued building elements and noted their condition. BCA conducted on-site investigation...

Rockefeller Center

Rockefeller Center Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1930-1939Original Architect: Raymond Hood This renowned 1930s Art Deco commercial complex, located in midtown Manhattan, set a precedent for business by integrating utility and comfort with aesthetic beauty. Now a designated Nation Historic District, Rockefeller Center’s 21-acre property is comprised of fourteen historic buildings, including Radio City Music Hall, totalling 7.4 million square feet of office and retail space, gardens, plazas, murals and sculpture. As the consultant to Rockefeller Group Inc., BCA developed a Master Plan...

University of Chicago

University of Chicago Location: Chicago, IllinoisYear Built: 1923-1926Original Architect: Herbert Riddle The University of Chicago acquired the former Chicago Theological Seminary, a brick and limestone building built in 1923-26 that is located in the heart of the University’s Hyde Park campus, in 2011. The building was renovated, and a large addition was constructed to accommodate its new use as the Saieh Hall for Economics. As part of the renovation, BCA surveyed the exterior masonry envelope as well as significant historic interior spaces decorated with limestone and extensive wood...

Washington National Cathedral

Washington National Cathedral Location: Washington, D.C.Year Built:: 1907-1990Original Architect: George Frederick Bodley, Philip Hubert Frohman The Washington National Cathedral was constructed over a period of 83 years, from 1907 to 1990. Its massive stone construction, rose windows, towers and buttresses recall the great cathedrals of Europe. The interior is equally as ornate, with stone carvings, elaborate carved woodwork, and paintings. Following the 2011 Virginia-based earthquake, the Cathedral embarked on an extensive inspection and repair program to address conditions caused by the earthquake.   BCA...

Frederick C. Robie House

Frederick C. Robie House Location: Chicago, IllinoisOriginal Architect: Frank Lloyd WrightYear Built: 1909 The Frederick C. Robie House, located in the Hyde Park neighborhood of Chicago, Illinois was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright and built in 1908-09, a period of time in Wright’s career that is considered by many to have been the most creative and productive of his life. Since its completion in 1909, the Robie House has stood as emblematic of Wright’s Prairie School of Architecture and is often characterized as a defining moment in the architect’s varied career. The Robie House is currently...

79th Street Rotunda

79th Street Rotunda Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1937Original Architect: Clinton Lloyd, Gilmore David Clark The 79th Street Rotunda was planned by former New York City/State Parks Commissioner Robert Moses, designed by architect and engineer Clinton Lloyd, and completed in 1937. Constructed to bridge the railroad tracks below and allow easy access to and from the Henry Hudson Parkway, it is located at the terminus of West 79th Street, between the 79th Street Boat Basin Marina in the Hudson River and the Henry Hudson Parkway. Owned and operated by the NYC Department of Parks...

Smithsonian Castle

Smithsonian Castle Location: Washington, D.C. Original Architect: Cluss and Schulze Year Built: 1881 BCA’s materials conservations services at two Smithsonian Institution buildings, The Arts and Industries Building (AIB) and Smithsonian Institution Building (SIB), began in 2021 as part of the Institution’s major Revitalize Historic Core project. The Renaissance Revival style Arts and Industries Building, completed in 1881, was designed by Adolf Cluss and Paul Schulze. The Smithsonian Institution Building, also known as The Castle, is the home to Smithsonian’s administrative offices and information...

Second Bank of the U.S.

Second Bank of the U.S. Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Original Architect: William Strickland Year Built: 1818-1824 The Second Bank of the United States was designed in 1818 by William Strickland and constructed between 1819 and 1824. The building represents the federal government’s second attempt to establish a national banking institution and signified Philadelphia’s importance as the financial center of the country. The National Park Service acquired this building in 1939 and it now serves as a gallery museum open to the public within the Independence National Historical Park. BCA...

Philadelphia Academy of Music

Philadelphia Academy of Music Location: Philadelphia, PennsylvaniaYear Built: 1857Original Architect: Napoleon LeBrun & Gustavus Runge The Academy of Music in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, was constructed from 1855 to 1857. The building is the oldest opera house still in use in America. The Academy’s interior is replete with ornamental painting and faux finishes including graining and marbling. The style of the exterior has been described as Italian Byzantine or Rundbogenstil, “roundarch style,” and features brick walls with brownstone ornamentation, including a second-story brownstone balcony...

St. Mary and St. Catherine of Siena Parish

St. Mary and St. Catherine of Siena Parish Location: Charleston, MassachusettsYear Built: 1887-1892Original Architect: Patrick C. Keely St Mary and St Catherine of Siena were once two churches that were combined in 2006 to form one parish. St Mary was constructed from 1887 to 1892 and designed by Patrick C. Keely. The Roman Catholic Church features a hammer-beam oak ceiling, ornate stained-glass windows, and delicately carved angels. St Catherine was completed in 1895 is a romanesque style building with four stained glass windows. The original interior colors had been painted over,...

University of Pennsylvania, 3808-3810 Walnut Street

University of Pennsylvania, 3808-3810 Walnut Street Location: Philadelphia, PennsylvaniaYear Built: 1898Original Architect: W Frisbey Smith 3808-3810 Walnut Street is located in the heart of the University of Pennsylvania’s urban campus. The three and one-half story twin was designed by Philadelphia architect W. Frisbey Smith and built in 1898. The facade features iron-spot Roman brick and is heavily ornamented with copper metalwork. BCA performed a paint analysis to determine the building’s original exterior paint colors and oversaw the restoration of these colors to the building. BCA also...

Hingham Historical Society

Hingham Historical Society Location: Hingham, MassachusettsYear Built: 1686 The Hingham Historical Society, started in 1914, works to preserve and document the history of Hingham, Massachusetts. BCA has worked on Historic Structure Reports for two historic buildings owned and operated by the Hingham Historical Society, Old Derby and Old Ordinary. Old Derby was built in 1818 as the school building for Derby Academy. It is a three-story, wood frame, Federal style building. BCA completed an Historic Structure Report for Old Derby documenting the architectural history of the building, its...

Hamilton Grange

Hamilton Grange Location: New York, New YorkOriginal Architect: John McComb Jr.Year Built: 1802 Hamilton Grange is believed to be the only home owned by Alexander Hamilton, one of the United States’ founding fathers. Hamilton built this Federal style country house in 1801-02. Hamilton Grange was moved in 2008, to a site one block away within St. Nicholas Park. After the move was completed, the restoration of the exterior and interior began. This project focused on completing the interior and exterior architectural restoration and rehabilitation, including building and site improvements and...