Skip to main content
Building Conservation Associates

Lab Testing

St. Mary and St. Catherine of Siena Parish

St. Mary and St. Catherine of Siena Parish Location: Charleston, MassachusettsYear Built: 1887-1892Original Architect: Patrick C. Keely St Mary and St Catherine of Siena were once two churches that were combined in 2006 to form one parish. St Mary was constructed from 1887 to 1892 and designed by Patrick C. Keely. The Roman Catholic Church features a hammer-beam oak ceiling, ornate stained-glass windows, and delicately carved angels. St Catherine was completed in 1895 is a romanesque style building with four stained glass windows. The original interior colors had been painted over,...

University of Pennsylvania, 3808-3810 Walnut Street

University of Pennsylvania, 3808-3810 Walnut Street Location: Philadelphia, PennsylvaniaYear Built: 1898Original Architect: W Frisbey Smith 3808-3810 Walnut Street is located in the heart of the University of Pennsylvania’s urban campus. The three and one-half story twin was designed by Philadelphia architect W. Frisbey Smith and built in 1898. The facade features iron-spot Roman brick and is heavily ornamented with copper metalwork. BCA performed a paint analysis to determine the building’s original exterior paint colors and oversaw the restoration of these colors to the building. BCA also...

Unity Temple

Unity Temple Location: Oak Park, IllinoisYear Built: 1905-1908Original Architect: Frank Lloyd Wright Unity Temple, designed by Frank Lloyd Wright and built in 1907, is an early example of modern church architecture and is one of the earliest public buildings in the United States to feature exposed concrete. BCA completed an interior finishes analysis of both Unity House and Unity Temple in order to better understand Wright's original intention for the finishes of the spaces. Through a combination of cross-section microscopy, in situ exposures, and instrumental analysis, BCA was able to...

Orchard Beach Bath House

Orchard Beach Bath House Location: Bronx, New YorkYear Built: 1936Original Architect: Aymar Embury BCA is the historic preservation and materials conservation consultant for the repair and restoration of the Orchard Beach Pavilion at Orchard Beach in Pelham Bay Park, Bronx, NY. Part of the New York City Department of Parks & Recreation, Orchard Beach was proclaimed “The Riviera of New York” when it was created in the 1930s. The monumental red brick, concrete, and glazed terra cotta Pavilion was designed by Aymar Embury in the Moderne style according to Beaux-Arts planning principles....

Religious Liberty Statue

Religious Liberty Statue Location: Philadelphia, PennsylvaniaYear Installed: 1876Original Artist: Moses Ezekiel The Religious Liberty Statue conservation marks BCA’s first project, and the details of the treatment are noteworthy for the field of outdoor art conservation. S.A.T, Inc., and BCA (in consultation with Dr. George Wheeler) were commissioned by B’nai B’rith to move the statue to the National Museum of American Jewish History, near the Liberty Bell, and to conserve/restore it. The statue was originally installed in 1876, during America’s Industrial Revolution and the calcareous...

1328 N. State Parkway

1328 N. State Parkway Location: Chicago, IllinoisYear Built: 1936Original Architect: Andrew N. Rebori BCA was the materials consultant for 1328 North State Parkway in Chicago, Illinois. Architect Andrew Rebori designed the property in 1936 as two separate houses connected by a central courtyard. The artist Lillian Florsheim purchased the property in 1946 for herself and her daughter, Nancy. In 1949, Florsheim began working with architect Bertrand Goldberg to renovate the property, a process that lasted until 1957. The most notable alteration was the installation of a “bridge” that connected...

79th Street Rotunda

79th Street Rotunda Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1937Original Architect: Clinton Lloyd, Gilmore David Clark The 79th Street Rotunda was planned by former New York City/State Parks Commissioner Robert Moses, designed by architect and engineer Clinton Lloyd, and completed in 1937. Constructed to bridge the railroad tracks below and allow easy access to and from the Henry Hudson Parkway, it is located at the terminus of West 79th Street, between the 79th Street Boat Basin Marina in the Hudson River and the Henry Hudson Parkway. Owned and operated by the NYC Department of Parks...

D.C. Courts

D.C. Courts Location: Washington, D.C. Year Built: 1820-1849 Original Architect: George Hadfield  BCA has served as the restoration consultant for the DC District Court system since 2005 and in that time has overseen the exterior restoration and repair of five historic courthouses. The limestone buildings date from the 1930s to the 1970s and include the original Washington, DC City Hall, now the DC Court of Appeals, which is a National Historic Landmark. BCA’s role at the five buildings has consisted of existing conditions assessments, laboratory and field testing, construction documents,...

Washington National Cathedral

Washington National Cathedral Location: Washington, D.C.Year Built:: 1907-1990Original Architect: George Frederick Bodley, Philip Hubert Frohman The Washington National Cathedral was constructed over a period of 83 years, from 1907 to 1990. Its massive stone construction, rose windows, towers and buttresses recall the great cathedrals of Europe. The interior is equally as ornate, with stone carvings, elaborate carved woodwork, and paintings. Following the 2011 Virginia-based earthquake, the Cathedral embarked on an extensive inspection and repair program to address conditions caused by the earthquake.   BCA...

Fort Christiansvaern

Fort Christiansvaern Location: St. Croix, U.S. Virgin IslandsYear Built: 1749 Fort Christiansvaern was built for the Danish West India and Guinea Company from 1738-1749. It is a brick and rubble masonry structure currently covered with stucco, located on the shoreline of Christiansted harbor, St. Croix, U. S. Virgin Islands. The fort remains largely an 18th century structure with significant alterations and additions occurring in the 19th century and numerous repair campaigns throughout its history.     BCA was retained to investigate the fort's finishes (paint, plaster, stucco) to help better...

NCA Battleground Cemetery

NCA Battleground Cemetery Location: Washington, D.C.Year Built: 1864 Battleground National Cemetery was established in 1864 just after the battle of Fort Stevens, and is located just north of the fort in Washington DC. The cemetery is surrounded by a stone retaining wall, originally constructed in 1872, and features a central memorial that honors those that died at the battle of Fort Stevens. The cemetery’s stone wall has been altered several times throughout its history, mostly due to perimeter road changes and regrading.  BCA was retained to perform analysis of the historic mortars of...

Century Club

Century Club Location: New York, NYOriginal Architect: Stanford WhiteYear Built: 1889 The Century Association, located in Midtown Manhattan, was designed by Stanford White with the assistance of Joseph Wells and was built in 1891. The building serves as a clubhouse and meeting point for members of the Century Association, which includes New York’s most prominent families and several world-renowned artists. The building’s delicate façade is reminiscent of the Italian Renaissance consisting of a rusticated base, a central balcony, pilasters, and many other Italian-style flourishes. The Clubhouse...

Newark Museum, Ballantine House

Newark Museum, Ballantine House Location: Newark, New Jersey Original Architect: George Edward HarneyYear Built: 1884 The Ballantine House is a red brick mansion with Wyoming Grey sandstone trim designed by George Edward Harney and constructed in 1885 for Jeannette and John Holme Ballantine of the celebrated Newark beer-brewing family. Located on the campus of The Newark Museum of Art (NMOA) in Newark, New Jersey, it is a major object in the collections of the NMOA and houses its period rooms and Decorative Arts galleries. The Ballantine House is a National Historic Landmark, a contributing...

Museo De Arte de Ponce

Museo De Arte de Ponce Location: Ponce, Puerto Rico Original Architect: Edward Durell StoneYear Built: 1965 Designed by architect Edward Durrell Stone and completed in 1965, Museo de Arte de Ponce is located in Ponce, Puerto Rico and is the largest museum in the Caribbean. Constructed of concrete and stucco, the Museo is a classic example of Modern architecture. This project involved the restoration of the exterior envelope. As the restoration consultant, BCA conducted a hands-on conditions assessment of the exterior stucco and concrete, performed field and laboratory materials testing,...

Mayflower House Museum

Mayflower House Museum Plymouth, MassachusettsOriginal Architect: Edward WinslowYear Built: 1754 The Mayflower Society House, owned by the General Society of Mayflower Descendants since 1941, is a two-story, high-style Georgian / Colonial Revival period home, built by Edward Winslow in 1754. In 1835 Ralph Waldo Emerson was married in this historic building. The property is located within the local Plymouth Historic District and the Plymouth Village National Register Historic District. BCA’s Historic Structure Report for the property included documenting the architectural history of the building...

Central Park Police Precinct

Central Park Police Precinct Location: New York, New York Year Built: 1871 Original Architect: Jacob Wrey Mould  The Central Park Police Precinct, a national and New York City landmark located on the site of the original Central Park stable complex, has been home to the New York City Police Department since 1936. Designed by Jacob Wrey Mould, and erected between 1869 and 1871, the stable complex was intended by park designers Frederick Law Olmstead and Calvert Vaux to form part of the Greensward Plan’s park administration complex, which was to include a police station, four other utilitarian...

One Madison Avenue

One Madison Avenue Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1893-1909, 1953Original Architect: Napoleon Le Brun & Sons, D. Everett Waid One Madison Avenue, the MetLife Tower, located on Madison Square Park since 1890, is closely intertwined with the history of the city itself. The Tower (50 stories) was the tallest building in the world when it was erected in 1909 and is still a prominent fixture of the New York City skyline. BCA was the primary design consultant for the exterior restoration of the tower. Restoration work included removing decades of accumulated soiling from the exterior...

General Motors Tech. Center

General Motors Tech. Center Location: Warren, MichiganYear Built: 1949-1970Original Architect: Eero Saarinen (1956) Thomas Church, Landscape Architect (1956) Argonaut (1956) General Motors Corporate Campus often called the Tech Center was designed by Eero Saarinen in 1956. Located in Warren, Michigan, the campus over 50 buildings exemplary of the International Style. The campus is designated a Historic Landmark of Michigan and is also listed on the National Register of Historic Places. BCA’s work on the multi-billion dollar restoration and rehabilitation of the nearly mile-square complex began...

New Amsterdam Theater

New Amsterdam Theater Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1903Original Architects: Herts & Tallant The New Amsterdam Theatre, home to the legendary Ziegfeld Follies, was designed by Herts and Tallant and opened in 1903. The interior and exterior are designated New York City Landmarks. At its opening, the theater, located on West 42nd Street in Times Square, was hailed as 'The House Beautiful.' The project involved the complete interior and exterior rehabilitation of the building to restore extant historic fabric, provide space for contemporary program needs, and bring the building...

Stafford Settlement

Stafford Settlement Location: Cumberland Island, GeorgiaYear Built: 1830 BCA performed testing and analysis of multiple historic masonry materials removed from the Stafford Slave Settlement, part of the Stafford Plantation Historic District on Cumberland Island National Seashore in Georgia. The materials tested were removed from remaining chimneys, the most visible remnants of the Settlement. The chimneys are constructed of four primary masonry materials: tabby brick, red clay brick, mortar, and stucco/parging. The testing and analysis performed by BCA, which was limited to the tabby brick,...