Skip to main content
Building Conservation Associates

Lab Testing

Union Square Pavilion

Union Square Pavilion Location: New York, New York The Union Square Pavilion is a beaux arts style limestone structure recently restored and currently being used as a seasonal restaurant. As the historic preservation and conservation consultant, BCA conducted a conditions survey, photographic documentation, probes to determine construction materials, and field testing in order to make recommendations for the Pavilion’s appropriate repair and overall cleaning of the masonry.   SERVICES MATERIALS ...

United Nations Headquarters

United Nations Headquarters Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1947-1953Original Architect: International Committee of Architects, Wallace K. Harrison, Chairman. Team included Le Corbusier of France, Oscar Niemeyer of Brazil, Sven Markelius of Sweden, and representatives from 10 other countries. Since 2004, BCA has been involved with the master plan for the United Nations complex. A noted example of the International Style, the complex was built between 1947 and 1953 and consists of four buildings: the General Assembly Building, the Conference Building, the Secretariat, and the Dag...

United States Military Academy

United States Military Academy Location: West Point, New YorkYear Built: 1910, 1914, 1898, 1929, 1921-23Original Architect: Cram, Goodhue, & Furgeson, Arnold W. Brunner The United States Military Academy was established by an Act of Congress on March 16, 1802 and was formally opened on the following Fourth of July. In existence continuously since that date, the Academy at West Point, New York, has trained the officers who in peace and war have developed and commanded the Regular Army of the United States. Military interest in West Point dates from the early years of the War of Independence...

Unity Temple

Unity Temple Location: Oak Park, IllinoisYear Built: 1905-1908Original Architect: Frank Lloyd Wright Unity Temple, designed by Frank Lloyd Wright and built in 1907, is an early example of modern church architecture and is one of the earliest public buildings in the United States to feature exposed concrete. BCA completed an interior finishes analysis of both Unity House and Unity Temple in order to better understand Wright's original intention for the finishes of the spaces. Through a combination of cross-section microscopy, in situ exposures, and instrumental analysis, BCA was able to...

University of Pennsylvania, 3808-3810 Walnut Street

University of Pennsylvania, 3808-3810 Walnut Street Location: Philadelphia, PennsylvaniaYear Built: 1898Original Architect: W Frisbey Smith 3808-3810 Walnut Street is located in the heart of the University of Pennsylvania’s urban campus. The three and one-half story twin was designed by Philadelphia architect W. Frisbey Smith and built in 1898. The facade features iron-spot Roman brick and is heavily ornamented with copper metalwork. BCA performed a paint analysis to determine the building’s original exterior paint colors and oversaw the restoration of these colors to the building. BCA also...

University of Pennsylvania, Laboratory for Research on the Structure of Matter

University of Pennsylvania, Laboratory for Research on the Structure of Matter Location: Philadelphia, PennsylvaniaYear Built: 1964Original Architect: Martin, Stewart, Noble & Class Designed by Martin, Stewart, Noble & Class and built in 1964, the Laboratory for Research on the Structure of Matter (LRSM) is the University of Pennsylvania’s center for material research. The building is constructed of exposed aggregate cast stone with a glass curtain wall system. BCA was involved with a facade repair project for the building to address water infiltration issues and damage to the cast stone....

University of Pennsylvania, Music and Morgan Building

University of Pennsylvania, Music and Morgan Building Location: Philadelphia, PennsylvaniaYear Built: 1890Original Architect: Cope & Stewardson The University of Pennsylvania Music Building, constructed in 1890, was designed by Cope & Stewardson and features brick, terra cotta, and sandstone. The building underwent a renovation project that included a comprehensive exterior restoration and a distinctively contemporary addition. Masonry restoration included cleaning, re-pointing, patching, and selective replacement of brick and terra cotta units. As the primary restoration consultants...

University of Pennsylvania, Richards Medical Research Laboratory

University of Pennsylvania, Richards Medical Research Laboratory Location: Philadelphia, PennsylvaniaYear Built: 1962Original Architect: Louis Kahn The Richards Medical Research Laboratory, designed by the internationally influential Philadelphia architect Louis Kahn, was completed in 1962. It was immediately heralded as one of the most consequential buildings of the 20th century and one of Kahn’s greatest achievements due to Kahn’s unique approach to materials and building organization. The building’s significance and relatively high degree of integrity led to its designation as a National...

U.S. Capitol

U.S. Capitol Location: Washington, D.C. Year Built: 1793 - 1811 Original Architect: William Thornton  BCA has been contracted by the Architect of the Capitol to document original decorative painting schemes in several locations throughout the Capitol building, including the first floor Senate Connecting Corridor and the second floor Senate Chamber entrance corridor. The Senate Connection Corridor links the well-known and highly ornate Brumidi Corridors to the central dome of the Capitol, and dates to the 1850s. The elaborate trompe l’oeil paintings that originally adorned the Senate Connecting...

U.S. Custom House, Pennsylvania

U.S. Custom House, Pennsylvania Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Year Built: 1932-34 Original Architect: Ritter & Shay  Philadelphia’s United States Custom House was designed by architects Ritter & Shay and constructed from 1932 to 1934. The towering art deco structure was a deliberate “pump-priming” investment by the federal government in the midst of the Great Depression; the construction of the Custom House employed nearly 4,000 workers. BCA was hired to evaluate finishes deterioration at the monumental metal windows at the Custom House’s base. The deterioration was particularly...

U.S. Custom House, Maine

U.S. Custom House, Maine Location: Portland, Maine Year Built: 1867–1872Original Architect: Alfred B. Mullett The Portland Custom House, a General Services Administration property, is located within the ‘Old Port’ waterfront district. It was built in 1867 and listed as a National Landmark in 1973. Designed in the Second Empire and Renaissance Revival styles by architect Alfred B. Mullet, Supervising Architect to the U.S Treasury Department. it exhibits a highly decorative cut granite stonework facade. BCA worked on a comprehensive restoration of the exterior masonry, slate roofing, and original...

Washington National Cathedral

Washington National Cathedral Location: Washington, D.C.Year Built:: 1907-1990Original Architect: George Frederick Bodley, Philip Hubert Frohman The Washington National Cathedral was constructed over a period of 83 years, from 1907 to 1990. Its massive stone construction, rose windows, towers and buttresses recall the great cathedrals of Europe. The interior is equally as ornate, with stone carvings, elaborate carved woodwork, and paintings. Following the 2011 Virginia-based earthquake, the Cathedral embarked on an extensive inspection and repair program to address conditions caused by the earthquake.   BCA...

Religious Liberty Statue

Religious Liberty Statue Location: Philadelphia, PennsylvaniaYear Installed: 1876Original Artist: Moses Ezekiel The Religious Liberty Statue conservation marks BCA’s first project, and the details of the treatment are noteworthy for the field of outdoor art conservation. S.A.T, Inc., and BCA (in consultation with Dr. George Wheeler) were commissioned by B’nai B’rith to move the statue to the National Museum of American Jewish History, near the Liberty Bell, and to conserve/restore it. The statue was originally installed in 1876, during America’s Industrial Revolution and the calcareous...