Skip to main content
Building Conservation Associates

Measured Drawings

Eleven80

Eleven80 Location: Newark, New JerseyYear Built: 1930Original Architect: Frank Grad The Raymond Commerce Building was constructed in 1929 and is characterized by its Art-Deco geometric floral designs on embossed spandrel panels and decorative terra cotta. BCA was the restoration consultant for the conversion of this Art Deco office building into residential space. Restoration included materials conservation, cleaning and repointing, and recreation of missing features. BCA also served as Preservation Consultant for this project, which required Local, State, and Federal approvals, and created...

United States Military Academy

United States Military Academy Location: West Point, New YorkYear Built: 1910, 1914, 1898, 1929, 1921-23Original Architect: Cram, Goodhue, & Furgeson, Arnold W. Brunner The United States Military Academy was established by an Act of Congress on March 16, 1802 and was formally opened on the following Fourth of July. In existence continuously since that date, the Academy at West Point, New York, has trained the officers who in peace and war have developed and commanded the Regular Army of the United States. Military interest in West Point dates from the early years of the War of Independence...

Rockefeller Center

Rockefeller Center Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1930-1939Original Architect: Raymond Hood This renowned 1930s Art Deco commercial complex, located in midtown Manhattan, set a precedent for business by integrating utility and comfort with aesthetic beauty. Now a designated Nation Historic District, Rockefeller Center’s 21-acre property is comprised of fourteen historic buildings, including Radio City Music Hall, totalling 7.4 million square feet of office and retail space, gardens, plazas, murals and sculpture. As the consultant to Rockefeller Group Inc., BCA developed a Master Plan...

Prospect Park Boathouse

Prospect Park Boathouse Location: Brooklyn, New YorkYear Built: 1904Original Architect: Helmle & Huberty The Prospect Park Boathouse was designed by Helmle and Huberty and built from 1904-1907. Located on the Lullwater of the Lake in Prospect Park, Brooklyn, the boathouse is reminiscent of the original Pennsylvania Station as Helmle and Huberty were disciples of McKim, Meade, and White. Modeled on Sansovino's 16th-century Library at St. Mark's in Venice, the neoclassic Boathouse is listed as a historic site by the National Register of Historic Places and is a New York City Landmark.  The...

Old Ship Meeting House

Old Ship Meeting House Location: Hingham, MassachusettsYear Built: 1681 Old Ship Meeting House, built in 1681 is the last surviving New England meeting house of more than 200 built between 1629 and 1700. Listed on the National and State Registers of Historic Places, and designated a National Historic Landmark in 1962, it is a timber-frame building with a wood-shingled roof and a wood clapboard exterior. BCA produced an Historic Structure Report for the Old Ship Meeting House, including a prioritized treatment plan which guided the subsequent restoration. Work included roof replacement, structural...

New York State Capitol

New York State Capitol Location: Albany, New York Year Built: 1867-1899 Original Architects: Thomas Fuller, Leopold Eidlitz, Henry Hobson Richardson, Isaac G. Perry  The New York State Capitol was constructed between 1867 and 1899 under a series of supervising architects starting with Thomas Fuller, followed by Leopold Eidlitz and Henry Hobson Richardson, and lastly Isaac G. Perry. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and designated a National Historic Landmark in 1979. BCA has been involved in many restoration projects at the capitol, including a cleaning program...

New Amsterdam Theater

New Amsterdam Theater Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1903Original Architects: Herts & Tallant The New Amsterdam Theatre, home to the legendary Ziegfeld Follies, was designed by Herts and Tallant and opened in 1903. The interior and exterior are designated New York City Landmarks. At its opening, the theater, located on West 42nd Street in Times Square, was hailed as 'The House Beautiful.' The project involved the complete interior and exterior rehabilitation of the building to restore extant historic fabric, provide space for contemporary program needs, and bring the building...

Moynihan Station, Farley Postal Lobby

Moynihan Station, Farley Postal Lobby Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1913Original Architect: McKim, Mead & White The James A. Farley Building was constructed from 1909 to 1913 according to the design of William Mitchell Kendall of McKim, Mead & White. The firm's design for a monumental Beaux-Arts building located in the business center of Manhattan features a grand row of twenty Corinthian columns along its principal facade on Eighth Avenue. The building was officially opened as the Pennsylvania Terminal Post Office on September 1, 1914. In 1918, the Pennsylvania Terminal...

Grand Central Terminal

Grand Central Terminal Location: New York, New York Year Built: 1913Original Architect: Warren & Wetmore Grand Central Terminal, designed by Reed & Stem and Warren & Wetmore and completed in 1913, is one of New York City’s preeminent architectural landmarks. The terminal stands as a Beaux-Arts monument to America’s Railway Age and was constructed as the crown jewel of the Vanderbilt Empire’s New York Central Railroad. Designated as a New York City Landmark in 1967 by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC), and an Interior Landmark in 1980, Grand Central Terminal...

Bronx Zoo

Bronx Zoo Location: Bronx, New York Original Architect: Heins & LaFarge Year Built: 1899-1910  Originally known as the New York Zoological Society, the Bronx Zoo opened its doors to the public on November 8, 1899, and for more than 120 years, it has been one of New York City's major cultural attractions. BCA has been involved in several projects at the Bronx Zoo. Astor Court Astor Court, the historic center of the Zoo, consists of raised, landscaped terraces, two grand stairs leading up to the Court, and an ensemble of the Zoo’s original Beaux-Arts buildings sited around the central Sea...

Hollywood Masonic Temple

Hollywood Masonic Temple Location: Los Angeles, CaliforniaYear Built: 1926Original Architect: John C. Austin Designed by John C. Austin, the façade was conceived in a neo-classical mode while the interior was an eclectic mix of neo classical and Arts and Crafts detailing. Originally a masonic temple, the building now serves as a television studio and is part of the El Capitan Entertainment Centre. BCA created Historic American Building Survey (HABS) documentation for the building, including creating measured drawings, historic research, and preservation guidelines. Subsequently, BCA oversaw...

Cathedral St. John The Divine

Cathedral St. John The Divine Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1892Original Architect: Heins & LaFarge, Ralph Adams Cram (1911) Located in Morningside Heights, the Cathedral of Saint John the Divine is one of the largest in the world. Dating from 1892, it evolved from the designs of Heins and LaFarge who were succeeded by Ralph Adams Cram. The Cathedral has never been completed. In 2017, the Cathedral and its Close were declared a New York City landmark. BCA has been assisting the Cathedral since 1995 with special projects. We have performed comprehensive interior and exterior...

Camden High School

Camden High School Location: Camden, New JerseyYear Built: 1916-1918Original Architect: Paul A. Davis III The old Camden High School, built in 1916, was to be demolished and replaced by a new building. As the result of a pre-design Phase IA Archaeological Survey and Intensive-Level Historic Architectural Survey of the old Camden High School facility, the Schools Development Authority decided to salvage and re-use select architectural elements from the old high school in the new building. As part of this effort, BCA was retained to document one terra cotta spire above the main entrance...

Boston Public Library

Boston Public Library Location: Boston, Massachusetts Year Built: 1895 Original Architect: Charles Follen McKim  The Boston Public Library, built in 1895, is a grand Classical Revival style structure located in the heart of Copley Square and is a local and National Landmark. Conceived as a “palace for the people,” it exemplifies Boston’s 19th century municipal pride as well as Charles Follen McKim’s genius for integrating architecture and art. A modern addition was added in 1971, designed by renowned architect Philip Johnson and has local Landmark designation. BCA prepared a Historic Structure...

Belmont Chapel

Belmont Chapel Location: Newport, Rhode IslandYear Built: 1886Original Architect: George C. Mason & Son, William Gosling Belmont Chapel, located in Island Cemetery in Newport, Rhode Island, was designed in the gothic revival style by George Champlin Mason, Sr, and was constructed in 1886 as a memorial to Jane Pauline Belmont, who died in 1875 at the age of 19. In 1891 the Belmont family hired the prominent architect Richard Morris Hunt to redesign the interior and exterior, for comfort and aesthetic purposes. Hunt added additional Gothic-style structural and sculptural elements to...

Baruch College

Baruch College Baruch College is one of the senior colleges in the City University of New York (CUNY) system. Founded in 1847 as the Free Academy, it was the first institution to offer free higher education to the public in the United States. BCA served as historic preservation consultant on a variety of projects over twenty years. Newman Library The Lexington Avenue Cable Car Company was transformed into the Newman Library by Baruch College in the early 1990s. BCA was responsible for the entire restoration of the brick and terra cotta façade of this Italian Renaissance-style building. Vertical...

Park Avenue Armory

Park Avenue Armory Location: New York, New York Original Architect: Charles Clinton Year Built: 1880 BCA was part of the project team developing a preservation approach for the adaptive reuse of Park Avenue Armory, historically known as the Seventh Regiment Armory. Built as both a military facility and a social club, the reception rooms on the first floor and the company rooms on the second floor were designed by the most prominent designers and artists of the day, including Louis Comfort Tiffany, Stanford White, Herter Brothers, and Pottier & Stymus. As the historic preservation consultant...

Fort Kent

Fort Kent Location: Fort Kent, MaineYear Built: 1839 Fort Kent sits along Fish River in Northern Maine. This iconic blockhouse of hand-hewn cedar timbers with overhanging second story was built circa 1838 and was named after Governor Edward Kent. Fort Kent is the last that remains of several forts built along the Saint John River by the state of Maine. BCA developed measured drawings adhering to the Historic American Building Survey standards. Traditional manual measurement techniques were employed to capture all elements of the building detailing dimensions, joinery, profiles, loopholes,...