Skip to main content
Building Conservation Associates

Mock-ups

Grand Central Terminal

Grand Central Terminal Location: New York, New York Year Built: 1913Original Architect: Warren & Wetmore Grand Central Terminal, designed by Reed & Stem and Warren & Wetmore and completed in 1913, is one of New York City’s preeminent architectural landmarks. The terminal stands as a Beaux-Arts monument to America’s Railway Age and was constructed as the crown jewel of the Vanderbilt Empire’s New York Central Railroad. Designated as a New York City Landmark in 1967 by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC), and an Interior Landmark in 1980, Grand Central Terminal...

Washington National Cathedral

Washington National Cathedral Location: Washington, D.C.Year Built:: 1907-1990Original Architect: George Frederick Bodley, Philip Hubert Frohman The Washington National Cathedral was constructed over a period of 83 years, from 1907 to 1990. Its massive stone construction, rose windows, towers and buttresses recall the great cathedrals of Europe. The interior is equally as ornate, with stone carvings, elaborate carved woodwork, and paintings. Following the 2011 Virginia-based earthquake, the Cathedral embarked on an extensive inspection and repair program to address conditions caused by the earthquake.   BCA...

Philadelphia Academy of Music

Philadelphia Academy of Music Location: Philadelphia, PennsylvaniaYear Built: 1857Original Architect: Napoleon LeBrun & Gustavus Runge The Academy of Music in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, was constructed from 1855 to 1857. The building is the oldest opera house still in use in America. The Academy’s interior is replete with ornamental painting and faux finishes including graining and marbling. The style of the exterior has been described as Italian Byzantine or Rundbogenstil, “roundarch style,” and features brick walls with brownstone ornamentation, including a second-story brownstone balcony...

New Amsterdam Theater

New Amsterdam Theater Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1903Original Architects: Herts & Tallant The New Amsterdam Theatre, home to the legendary Ziegfeld Follies, was designed by Herts and Tallant and opened in 1903. The interior and exterior are designated New York City Landmarks. At its opening, the theater, located on West 42nd Street in Times Square, was hailed as 'The House Beautiful.' The project involved the complete interior and exterior rehabilitation of the building to restore extant historic fabric, provide space for contemporary program needs, and bring the building...

National Pilgrim Memorial Meetinghouse

National Pilgrim Memorial Meetinghouse Location: Plymouth, MassachusettsYear Built: 1899Original Architect: Hartwell, Richardson & Driver The Mayflower Meetinghouse, historically known as the First Parish Church of Plymouth, is the fifth meetinghouse built as First Church, completed in 1899. First Church’s history can be traced to the Separatist congregation that sailed to Plymouth on the Mayflower in 1620. It is reported to be the oldest continuous church in New England. The notable Boston firm Hartwell, Richardson & Driver designed the new church in the Romanesque Revival style,...

Moynihan Train Station

Moynihan Train Station Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1913Original Architect: McKim, Mead & White The James A. Farley Building was constructed from 1909 to 1913 according to the design of William Mitchell Kendall of McKim, Mead & White. The firm's design for a monumental Beaux-Arts building located in the business center of Manhattan features a grand row of twenty Corinthian columns along its principal facade on Eighth Avenue. The building was officially opened as the Pennsylvania Terminal Post Office on September 1, 1914. In 1918, the Pennsylvania Terminal Post Office...

Moynihan Station, Farley Postal Lobby

Moynihan Station, Farley Postal Lobby Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1913Original Architect: McKim, Mead & White The James A. Farley Building was constructed from 1909 to 1913 according to the design of William Mitchell Kendall of McKim, Mead & White. The firm's design for a monumental Beaux-Arts building located in the business center of Manhattan features a grand row of twenty Corinthian columns along its principal facade on Eighth Avenue. The building was officially opened as the Pennsylvania Terminal Post Office on September 1, 1914. In 1918, the Pennsylvania Terminal...

Thomas Jefferson Memorial

Thomas Jefferson Memorial Location: Washington, D.C.Year Built: 1941Original Architect: John Russell Pope, Daniel P. Higgins, Otto R. Eggers Designed by architect John Russell Pope and dedicated in 1941, the Thomas Jefferson Memorial is modeled after the Pantheon in Rome and features a classical marble portico, circular marble colonnade, and a marble dome roof. The Memorial’s location in the Tidal Basin makes it a prominent feature of the landscape of the National Mall and Washington, DC. The project at the Jefferson Memorial involved restoration of the portico and colonnade roofs, as well as...

Trinity College, Long Walk

Trinity College, Long Walk Location: Hartford, ConnecticutYear Built: 1878, 1883, 1878Original Architect: William Burges The Long Walk at Trinity College, designed by the English architect, William Burges, was built in 1878 and is an important example of late 19th century collegiate architecture and of the High Victorian Gothic style in America. It is comprised of three polychromatic masonry buildings - Seabury and Jarvis Halls and Northam Tower. The buildings are outstanding examples of Collegiate Gothic architecture. BCA assessed the condition of the exterior masonry, leaded and steel...

Religious Liberty Statue

Religious Liberty Statue Location: Philadelphia, PennsylvaniaYear Installed: 1876Original Artist: Moses Ezekiel The Religious Liberty Statue conservation marks BCA’s first project, and the details of the treatment are noteworthy for the field of outdoor art conservation. S.A.T, Inc., and BCA (in consultation with Dr. George Wheeler) were commissioned by B’nai B’rith to move the statue to the National Museum of American Jewish History, near the Liberty Bell, and to conserve/restore it. The statue was originally installed in 1876, during America’s Industrial Revolution and the calcareous...

Kings County Supreme Courthouse

Kings County Supreme Courthouse Location: Brooklyn, New York Year Built: 1932 Original Architect: King and Tackritz of Brooklyn  Kings County Courthouse was constructed in 1932, and designed by King and Tacktitz of Brooklyn in the Renaissance Revival style. BCA performed a preliminary assessment of the interior spaces and created preservation levels to ensure that the historic character and material integrity of the interiors is considered during the planning process for rehabilitation of the building. In the design phase, BCA conducted a conditions’ assessment survey of the plaster ceiling,...

Bronx Zoo

Bronx Zoo Location: Bronx, New York Original Architect: Heins & LaFarge Year Built: 1899-1910  Originally known as the New York Zoological Society, the Bronx Zoo opened its doors to the public on November 8, 1899, and for more than 120 years, it has been one of New York City's major cultural attractions. BCA has been involved in several projects at the Bronx Zoo. Astor Court Astor Court, the historic center of the Zoo, consists of raised, landscaped terraces, two grand stairs leading up to the Court, and an ensemble of the Zoo’s original Beaux-Arts buildings sited around the central Sea...

Emerson College, Little Building

Emerson College, Little Building Location: Boston, MassachusettsYear Built: 1917Original Architect: Clarence Blackall The Little Building was originally built as an office building, known as “The City Under One Roof”. This 12-story steel-framed building features highly elaborate cast stone cladding, in more than 100 mold patterns, as well as decorative cast iron panels and window frames, with decorative terrazzo and mosaics at the entrances. A comprehensive redevelopment of the building by Emerson College reconstructed the upper floors, while retaining and restoring the first two floors of...

Eleven80

Eleven80 Location: Newark, New JerseyYear Built: 1930Original Architect: Frank Grad The Raymond Commerce Building was constructed in 1929 and is characterized by its Art-Deco geometric floral designs on embossed spandrel panels and decorative terra cotta. BCA was the restoration consultant for the conversion of this Art Deco office building into residential space. Restoration included materials conservation, cleaning and repointing, and recreation of missing features. BCA also served as Preservation Consultant for this project, which required Local, State, and Federal approvals, and created...

Central Park Police Precinct

Central Park Police Precinct Location: New York, New York Year Built: 1871 Original Architect: Jacob Wrey Mould  The Central Park Police Precinct, a national and New York City landmark located on the site of the original Central Park stable complex, has been home to the New York City Police Department since 1936. Designed by Jacob Wrey Mould, and erected between 1869 and 1871, the stable complex was intended by park designers Frederick Law Olmstead and Calvert Vaux to form part of the Greensward Plan’s park administration complex, which was to include a police station, four other utilitarian...

The Woodlands

The Woodlands Location: Philadelphia, PennsylvaniaYear Built: 1770Original Architect: William Hamilton BCA was involved with two projects at the Woodlands, a cemetery located in West Philadelphia that dates to the mid-nineteenth century. The site retains two historic buildings, the Hamilton Mansion and stable, both of which date to the time the cemetery site was owned by gentlemen botanist William Hamilton. Built in two campaigns between 1770 and 1789, the mansion features rubble stone wall wings, a stucco central block, a two-story portico and a brick cryptoporticus in front of the mansion...

Unity Temple

Unity Temple Location: Oak Park, IllinoisYear Built: 1905-1908Original Architect: Frank Lloyd Wright Unity Temple, designed by Frank Lloyd Wright and built in 1907, is an early example of modern church architecture and is one of the earliest public buildings in the United States to feature exposed concrete. BCA completed an interior finishes analysis of both Unity House and Unity Temple in order to better understand Wright's original intention for the finishes of the spaces. Through a combination of cross-section microscopy, in situ exposures, and instrumental analysis, BCA was able to...

177 Huntington Avenue

177 Huntington Avenue Location: Boston, Massachusetts Year Built: 1972 Original Architect: I.M. Pei & Partners and Araldo Cossutta Associated Architects  The Christian Science Plaza was designed in the 1970’s by I. M. Pei & Associates. The Church added new concrete structures and landscaping to existing historic church buildings to create a unified complex. One of these buildings, 177 Huntington Avenue, or the Plaza's Administration Building was built in 1972. This Modernist building is constructed of concrete and is a listed Boston Landmark. BCA performed cleaning tests, including...

Vanderbilt Mansion

Vanderbilt Mansion Location: Hyde Park, New York Original Architect: McKim, Mead & WhiteYear Built: 1896-1899 Vanderbilt Mansion, designed by McKim, Mead, and White and built from 1896 to 1899, was used as a vacation home for Frederick Vanderbilt and is now a National Historic Site operated by the National Park Service (NPS). The grand Beaux-Arts estate has 54 rooms and is constructed of of Indiana Limestone. BCA was retained by the National Park Service to perform an on-site examination of the ceiling of the Dining Room. The ceiling was brought from Italy by Stanford White and installed...

Pilgrim Hall Museum

Pilgrim Hall Museum Location: Plymouth, Massachusetts Original Architect: Alexander Parris Year Built: 1824 The Pilgrim Hall Museum, operated by the Pilgrim Society, is the oldest public museum in the United States. The Museum, designed by Alexander Parris, was opened in 1824 and is made mostly of Quincy Granite. Since its opening, the museum as survived many changes, including the addition of the Steinway Library in 1904. The library addition interior includes a Guastavino tile ceiling, a carved limestone fireplace, and a terrazzo floor with a mosaic tile border. BCA's work included initial...