Skip to main content
Building Conservation Associates

Research

Trinity College, Long Walk

Trinity College, Long Walk Location: Hartford, ConnecticutYear Built: 1878, 1883, 1878Original Architect: William Burges The Long Walk at Trinity College, designed by the English architect, William Burges, was built in 1878 and is an important example of late 19th century collegiate architecture and of the High Victorian Gothic style in America. It is comprised of three polychromatic masonry buildings - Seabury and Jarvis Halls and Northam Tower. The buildings are outstanding examples of Collegiate Gothic architecture. BCA assessed the condition of the exterior masonry, leaded and steel...

Harvard Stadium

Harvard Stadium Location: Cambridge, Massachusetts Year Built: 1903Original Architect: Louis J. Johnson Harvard Stadium's design was derived from the ancient Greek and Roman arenas, such as the Amphitheater at Verona, Italy and Athens Stadium in Greece. It was designed and engineered by Professor L.J. Johnson and J.R. Worchester, in consultation with C.F. McKim, of the architectural firm McKim, Mead and White. Built in 1903 and added on to in 1909, the Stadium is constructed with reinforced concrete. It was the first and largest reinforced concrete structure of its time and its building...

New York Hall of Science

New York Hall of Science Location: Queens, New York Original Architect: Wallace K. Harrison Year Built: 1964 The New York Hall of Science was established as part of the 1964 World’s Fair and is one of the few extant structures in Flushing Meadow-Corona Park. Designed by Wallace K. Harrison (Harrison and Abramowitz), the Hall of Science is distinguished by its serpentine plan. The 80-foot-high walls are a curved reinforced concrete grid comprised of horizontal and vertical flat concrete bands creating approximately 5,400 cells. Each of the cells is filled by cobalt blue glass polygons...

45th Road Courthouse Square Station

45th Road Courthouse Square Station Location: Queens, New YorkYear Built: 1916Original Architect: Squire Joseph Vickers BCA provided documentation and design documents for the station renovation as part of a larger commercial development project. 45th Road–Court House Square station was built in 1916 to extend the Interborough Rapid Transit Company's Flushing Line to Long Island City, Queens. in 1940, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) took over the Interborough Rapid Transit Company in 1940 and made small changes, such as lengthening the platform, to the elevated rail station....

66 Allen Street

66 Allen Street Location: New York, New York Year Built: 1886 Original Architect: Paul F. Schoen  Designated as a New York City Historic Landmark in 2012 by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission, 66 Allen Street was part of the structure that was the former Edward Ridley & Son Department Store. The store, built in 1886, was designed in the art deco style by Paul F. Schoen and was once the largest department store in Manhattan's Lower East Side BCA was the restoration consultant for the exterior restoration of the structure. BCA conducted a hands-on conditions assessment of...

30th Street Station

30th Street Station Location: Philadelphia, PennsylvaniaYear Built: 1929-1933Original Architect: Graham, Anderson, Probst & White Philadelphia’s 30th Street Station was designed by the Chicago architectural firm of Graham, Anderson, Probst, and White, successor to D.H. Burnham & Company, and was constructed by the Pennsylvania Railroad between 1927 and 1933. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978, 30th Street Station is notable for its streamlined Neoclassical design and Art Deco interior. BCA provided a range of historic preservation services to help guide the making...

Wicks House

Wicks House Location: Falmouth, Maine Year Built: 1790 The Dr. Francis Wicks House is a two-story residence constructed circa 1790. The Falmouth Historical Society was gifted the house in 1932 and through research and renovations uses the house to help interpret the history of Falmouth and its people. BCA completed an Historic Structure Report that included documenting the architectural history of the building through available archival research, analysis of existing building conditions, paint analysis, treatment recommendations, a prioritization timeline for anticipated work, and projection...

Columbia University, Manhattanville Campus

Columbia University, Manhattanville Campus Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1923, 1927 During the initial planning stages of Columbia University's project to create its new world-class campus in the Manhattanville section of Harlem, BCA advised the university and its architects on preservation issues related to the historic industrial buildings in the neighborhood. The culmination of this work involved preparing historic preservation plans for the former Studebaker (1923) and Warren Nash (1927) showrooms and service centers, which were used to guide the rehabilitation and adaptive...

Contee Farm Complex

Contee Farm Complex Location: Edgewater, Maryland The campus of the Smithsonian Environmental Research Center (SERC) in Edgewater, Maryland, contains thousands of acres of protected land along the shore of the Chesapeake Bay. The Smithsonian Institution (SI) retained BCA to perform a study of select historic assets on the campus. These assets, the Contee Farm Complex and the Sellman Tenant House, are monuments to the site’s long history of agriculture, and they stand in a landscape from which the visible legacy of hundreds of years of farming is slowly disappearing. The two sites date...

General Motors Tech. Center

General Motors Tech. Center Location: Warren, MichiganYear Built: 1949-1970Original Architect: Eero Saarinen (1956) Thomas Church, Landscape Architect (1956) Argonaut (1956) General Motors Corporate Campus often called the Tech Center was designed by Eero Saarinen in 1956. Located in Warren, Michigan, the campus over 50 buildings exemplary of the International Style. The campus is designated a Historic Landmark of Michigan and is also listed on the National Register of Historic Places. BCA’s work on the multi-billion dollar restoration and rehabilitation of the nearly mile-square complex began...

New Haven Superior Courthouse

New Haven Superior Courthouse Location: New Haven, Connecticut Year Built: 1909-1914 Original architects: Allen & Williams  The New Haven Superior Courthouse was built from 1909 t0 1914 and designed by Allen and Williams. This three-story, Beaux Arts style building is made mostly of Vermont Marble and is a classic example of the City Beautiful Movement with soaring ionic porticos and mahogany and brass finishes. The courthouse was added to the National Register of Historic places in 2003. BCA was the prime historic preservation consultant for the Historical Restoration Study of the Courthouse....

Century Club

Century Club Location: New York, NYOriginal Architect: Stanford WhiteYear Built: 1889 The Century Association, located in Midtown Manhattan, was designed by Stanford White with the assistance of Joseph Wells and was built in 1891. The building serves as a clubhouse and meeting point for members of the Century Association, which includes New York’s most prominent families and several world-renowned artists. The building’s delicate façade is reminiscent of the Italian Renaissance consisting of a rusticated base, a central balcony, pilasters, and many other Italian-style flourishes. The Clubhouse...

Newark Museum, Ballantine House

Newark Museum, Ballantine House Location: Newark, New Jersey Original Architect: George Edward HarneyYear Built: 1884 The Ballantine House is a red brick mansion with Wyoming Grey sandstone trim designed by George Edward Harney and constructed in 1885 for Jeannette and John Holme Ballantine of the celebrated Newark beer-brewing family. Located on the campus of The Newark Museum of Art (NMOA) in Newark, New Jersey, it is a major object in the collections of the NMOA and houses its period rooms and Decorative Arts galleries. The Ballantine House is a National Historic Landmark, a contributing...

Newark Museum

Newark Museum Location: Newark, New Jersey Year Built: 1784 (Lyons Farm School House), 1861 (Polhemus House), 1885 (Ballantine House), 1870 (Ward Carriage House), 1929 (51 Central Avenue) BCA served as the historic preservation consultant to the Newark Museum during its proposed Signature Project campaign for strategic expansion. The Museum campus is located in the James Street Commons Historic District, listed on the New Jersey and National Registers of Historic Places. The Museum campus is a multi-property resource of urban buildings and landscapes from various periods that reflect the growth...

Miller House & Garden

Miller House & Garden Location: Columbus, Indiana Original Architect: Eero SaarinenYear Built: 1957 The Miller House and Garden in Columbus, Indiana, is one of the country’s most highly regarded examples of mid-century Modernist residences. It was designed by Eero Saarinen, with interiors by Alexander Girard and landscape design by Daniel Urban Kiley. The Miller House and Garden was designated a National Historic Landmark in 2000. BCA is part of a multi-disciplinary team that is preparing a Conservation Master Plan of the Miller House and Garden with the goals to articulate an overarching...

Carlton Hotel

Carlton Hotel Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1901-1907Original Architect: Harry Allen Jacobs Designed as the Hotel Seville by Harry Allen Jacobs and constructed between 1901 and 1907, 22 East 29th Street (now the James New York - NoMad) is typical of elegant New York City hotels built during the early years of the 20th century. The project included a complete exterior restoration, interior renovation, and new addition. BCA designed the exterior restoration and managed the Historic Tax Credit application for this project. BCA conducted an existing conditions survey, made treatment...

Radio City Music Hall

Radio City Music Hall Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1932Original Architect: Edward Durrell Stone Designed by Edward Durrell Stone with interiors by Donald Desky, the Music Hall was completed in 1932 and was the largest theater at the time of its completion. The exterior of the music hall and its public interior spaces, as well as some furnishings, are designated New York City and National Historic landmarks. As historic preservation consultant, BCA performed archival research, documented and catalogued building elements and noted their condition. BCA conducted on-site investigation...

Grand Central Terminal

Grand Central Terminal Location: New York, New York Year Built: 1913Original Architect: Warren & Wetmore Grand Central Terminal, designed by Reed & Stem and Warren & Wetmore and completed in 1913, is one of New York City’s preeminent architectural landmarks. The terminal stands as a Beaux-Arts monument to America’s Railway Age and was constructed as the crown jewel of the Vanderbilt Empire’s New York Central Railroad. Designated as a New York City Landmark in 1967 by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC), and an Interior Landmark in 1980, Grand Central Terminal...

New York City School Construction Authority

New York City School Construction Authority The New York City School Construction Authority (SCA) manages the design, construction and renovation of school buildings in New York City. BCA is pre-qualified by SCA for historic preservation. Here are a few of our featured projects. P.S. 34, Brooklyn, NY The oldest NYC public school building still in use, P.S. 34 was constructed just after the Civil War in 1867. BCA developed procedures for stripping lead-based paint without damaging the brick face of this Landmark building. BCA also formulated procedures and techniques to restore brickwork...

Trinity Church

Trinity Church Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1846Original Architect: Richard Upjohn Trinity Church, located at the west end of Wall Street in Manhattan, is one of the seminal works of historic architecture in the United States and was designed in multiple phases under various architects. The Main Church was designed by Richard Upjohn and constructed in 1846. BCA is the restoration consultant for the entire church. BCA oversaw the conservation treatments of the spire and designed all the conservation treatments of the façade, which is brownstone sourced primarily from Little Falls,...