Skip to main content
Building Conservation Associates

Research

Belmont Chapel

Belmont Chapel Location: Newport, Rhode IslandYear Built: 1886Original Architect: George C. Mason & Son, William Gosling Belmont Chapel, located in Island Cemetery in Newport, Rhode Island, was designed in the gothic revival style by George Champlin Mason, Sr, and was constructed in 1886 as a memorial to Jane Pauline Belmont, who died in 1875 at the age of 19. In 1891 the Belmont family hired the prominent architect Richard Morris Hunt to redesign the interior and exterior, for comfort and aesthetic purposes. Hunt added additional Gothic-style structural and sculptural elements to...

Brooklyn Public Library, Eastern Parkway Branch

Brooklyn Public Library, Eastern Parkway Branch Location: Brooklyn, New York Year Built: 1914 Original Architect: Raymond Almirall  Designed by Raymond F. Almirall, the Eastern Parkway Library branch of the Brooklyn Public Library is a 1914 Beaux Arts building constructed as part of industrialist Andrew Carnegie’s gift of $5.2 million to New York City for the construction of a comprehensive branch library system in the five boroughs. The Library is located at the corner of Eastern Parkway and Schenectady Avenue in Crown Heights, Brooklyn. Because of the library’s location on Eastern Parkway,...

Calgary City Hall

Calgary City Hall Location: Calgary, Alberta Year Built: 1911 Original Architect: William M. Dodd  Calgary City Hall located in southern Alberta, Canada was built by William M. Dodd. Construction on the Richardsonian Romanesque style building was competed in 1911. Calgary City Hall is made mostly of Paskapoo Sandstone which originates in the area. The building is designated a National Historic Site of Canada and is surveyed under the Alberta Historic Resources Act.  BCA helped compile information for the Heritage Building Record System, Canada’s archive. BCA conducted archival research, aided...

Carlton Hotel

Carlton Hotel Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1901-1907Original Architect: Harry Allen Jacobs Designed as the Hotel Seville by Harry Allen Jacobs and constructed between 1901 and 1907, 22 East 29th Street (now the James New York - NoMad) is typical of elegant New York City hotels built during the early years of the 20th century. The project included a complete exterior restoration, interior renovation, and new addition. BCA designed the exterior restoration and managed the Historic Tax Credit application for this project. BCA conducted an existing conditions survey, made treatment...

Columbia University, Manhattanville Campus

Columbia University, Manhattanville Campus Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1923, 1927 During the initial planning stages of Columbia University's project to create its new world-class campus in the Manhattanville section of Harlem, BCA advised the university and its architects on preservation issues related to the historic industrial buildings in the neighborhood. The culmination of this work involved preparing historic preservation plans for the former Studebaker (1923) and Warren Nash (1927) showrooms and service centers, which were used to guide the rehabilitation and adaptive...

Contee Farm Complex

Contee Farm Complex Location: Edgewater, Maryland The campus of the Smithsonian Environmental Research Center (SERC) in Edgewater, Maryland, contains thousands of acres of protected land along the shore of the Chesapeake Bay. The Smithsonian Institution (SI) retained BCA to perform a study of select historic assets on the campus. These assets, the Contee Farm Complex and the Sellman Tenant House, are monuments to the site’s long history of agriculture, and they stand in a landscape from which the visible legacy of hundreds of years of farming is slowly disappearing. The two sites date...

First Battery Armory

First Battery Armory Location: New York, New York Year Built: 1903Original Architect: Horgan & Slattery The 1903 former First Battery Armory at 56 West 66th Street, designed by architects Horgan & Slattery, is an individual New York City Landmark and is one of a few extant historic armories in New York City. From 1903 until 1977 the building served as a National Guard armory. From 1977 until 2010, it was used as a television studio and is often referred to as the Disney Armory. It currently holds ESPN cable company offices. The project consisted of exterior and interior rehabilitation...

Hollywood Masonic Temple

Hollywood Masonic Temple Location: Los Angeles, CaliforniaYear Built: 1926Original Architect: John C. Austin Designed by John C. Austin, the façade was conceived in a neo-classical mode while the interior was an eclectic mix of neo classical and Arts and Crafts detailing. Originally a masonic temple, the building now serves as a television studio and is part of the El Capitan Entertainment Centre. BCA created Historic American Building Survey (HABS) documentation for the building, including creating measured drawings, historic research, and preservation guidelines. Subsequently, BCA oversaw...

Filene's Burnham Building

Filene's Burnham Building Location: Boston, MassachusettsYear Built: 1911Original Architect: Daniel H. Burnham The Filene’s Building was designed by Daniel Burnham in 1912 as the flagship store for William Filene and Sons’ regional retail empire. The brick and terra cotta building is known as a shining example of Beaux Arts architecture in Boston and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1989. The building currently houses retail shops, office space and residential units. BCA provided a building survey, treatment recommendations, and construction documents for the original...

First Presbyterian Church

First Presbyterian Church Location: Stamford, ConnecticutYear Built: 1958Original Architect: Wallace K. Harrison The First Presbyterian Church, located in Stamford, Connecticut, was designed by Wallace K. Harrison of the firm Harrison and Abramovitz, and dedicated in 1958. Due to the unique shape of its Sanctuary, the modernist church is often referred to as the “Fish Church.” The complex consists of a Sanctuary, attached Parish House, and freestanding Carillion Tower. A defining feature of the Sanctuary is the dalle de verre stained glass windows, which compose most of the north, south,...

Floyd Bennett Field

Floyd Bennett Field Location: Brooklyn, New YorkYear Built: 1931 Floyd Bennet field is 1300 acres of grassland and is a hub of recreational activities in Brooklyn, New York. Previously, it was New York City’s first municipal airport which was then used as a naval air station during the Second World War. For the Hangar 1 and 2 buildings at Floyd Bennett Field, BCA designed, performed and documented an extensive program of investigative probes of the brick and terra cotta masonry to determine as-built conditions and make recommendations for their restoration. In addition, BCA conducted finishes...

General Motors Tech. Center

General Motors Tech. Center Location: Warren, MichiganYear Built: 1949-1970Original Architect: Eero Saarinen (1956) Thomas Church, Landscape Architect (1956) Argonaut (1956) General Motors Corporate Campus often called the Tech Center was designed by Eero Saarinen in 1956. Located in Warren, Michigan, the campus over 50 buildings exemplary of the International Style. The campus is designated a Historic Landmark of Michigan and is also listed on the National Register of Historic Places. BCA’s work on the multi-billion dollar restoration and rehabilitation of the nearly mile-square complex began...

Grand Central Terminal

Grand Central Terminal Location: New York, New York Year Built: 1913Original Architect: Warren & Wetmore Grand Central Terminal, designed by Reed & Stem and Warren & Wetmore and completed in 1913, is one of New York City’s preeminent architectural landmarks. The terminal stands as a Beaux-Arts monument to America’s Railway Age and was constructed as the crown jewel of the Vanderbilt Empire’s New York Central Railroad. Designated as a New York City Landmark in 1967 by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC), and an Interior Landmark in 1980, Grand Central Terminal...

Harvard Stadium

Harvard Stadium Location: Cambridge, Massachusetts Year Built: 1903Original Architect: Louis J. Johnson Harvard Stadium's design was derived from the ancient Greek and Roman arenas, such as the Amphitheater at Verona, Italy and Athens Stadium in Greece. It was designed and engineered by Professor L.J. Johnson and J.R. Worchester, in consultation with C.F. McKim, of the architectural firm McKim, Mead and White. Built in 1903 and added on to in 1909, the Stadium is constructed with reinforced concrete. It was the first and largest reinforced concrete structure of its time and its building...

Long Wharf

Long Wharf Location: Boston, MassachusettsYear Built: 1848Original Architect: Isaiah Rogers The Custom House Block is a five-story building on Boston's Long Wharf that is clad primarily in brick, with the exception of its main, south elevation, which is clad in granite block. Built in 1848 in the Greek Revival style, the warehouse building postdates its supporting wharf by over a century. In 1966, the Long Wharf and Custom House Block were designated as a National Historic Landmark. The building is undergoing both interior modifications and exterior restoration to accommodate its reuse as commercial...

Michigan State Capitol

Michigan State Capitol Location: Lansing, Michigan Year Built: 1871 Original Architect: Elijah E. Myers  The Michigan State Capitol, designed by architect Elijah E. Myers, was completed in 1879. In contrast to its somewhat restrained exterior, the Capitol’s lively interior decorative finishes are executed in a brilliant palette, employing a broad range of colors and painted details. BCA was part of a consulting team charged with evaluating the Capitol’s building systems and the impact of those systems on the building's historic fabric. BCA surveyed the entire interior of the building and conducted...

Moynihan Station, Farley Postal Lobby

Moynihan Station, Farley Postal Lobby Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1913Original Architect: McKim, Mead & White The James A. Farley Building was constructed from 1909 to 1913 according to the design of William Mitchell Kendall of McKim, Mead & White. The firm's design for a monumental Beaux-Arts building located in the business center of Manhattan features a grand row of twenty Corinthian columns along its principal facade on Eighth Avenue. The building was officially opened as the Pennsylvania Terminal Post Office on September 1, 1914. In 1918, the Pennsylvania Terminal...

New Amsterdam Theater

New Amsterdam Theater Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1903Original Architects: Herts & Tallant The New Amsterdam Theatre, home to the legendary Ziegfeld Follies, was designed by Herts and Tallant and opened in 1903. The interior and exterior are designated New York City Landmarks. At its opening, the theater, located on West 42nd Street in Times Square, was hailed as 'The House Beautiful.' The project involved the complete interior and exterior rehabilitation of the building to restore extant historic fabric, provide space for contemporary program needs, and bring the building...

New Canaan Modern House Survey

New Canaan Modern House Survey Location: New Canaan, Connecticut In the post-World War II period, an informal network of Modern architects later known as the “Harvard Five”—Marcel Breuer, Landis Gores, John Johansen, Eliot Noyes, and Philip Johnson—moved to the bucolic town of New Canaan, Connecticut, and established what would become a center of experimental Modern residential design. The National Trust for Historic Preservation Northeast Office, the New Canaan Historical Society, the Philip Johnson Glass House, the Connecticut Trust for Historic Preservation, and the Connecticut Commission...

New Haven Superior Courthouse

New Haven Superior Courthouse Location: New Haven, Connecticut Year Built: 1909-1914 Original architects: Allen & Williams  The New Haven Superior Courthouse was built from 1909 t0 1914 and designed by Allen and Williams. This three-story, Beaux Arts style building is made mostly of Vermont Marble and is a classic example of the City Beautiful Movement with soaring ionic porticos and mahogany and brass finishes. The courthouse was added to the National Register of Historic places in 2003. BCA was the prime historic preservation consultant for the Historical Restoration Study of the Courthouse....