Skip to main content
Building Conservation Associates

Research

New York City School Construction Authority

New York City School Construction Authority The New York City School Construction Authority (SCA) manages the design, construction and renovation of school buildings in New York City. BCA is pre-qualified by SCA for historic preservation. Here are a few of our featured projects. P.S. 34, Brooklyn, NY The oldest NYC public school building still in use, P.S. 34 was constructed just after the Civil War in 1867. BCA developed procedures for stripping lead-based paint without damaging the brick face of this Landmark building. BCA also formulated procedures and techniques to restore brickwork...

Nissequogue River State Park

Nissequogue River State Park Location: Kings Park, New YorkYear Built: 1890-1973Original Architects: William E. Haugaard Established in 2001, Nissequogue River State Park (NRSP) was originally the Kings Park Psychiatric Center (KPPC), a hospital complex run by the NY State Office of Mental Health that operated from 1895 through 1996. At its peak in the 1950s, the KKPC campus consisted of approximately 100 buildings from various periods set within a designed institutional landscape. After the hospital closed, the land and remaining buildings were transferred to NY State Parks. As part...

Octagon Apartments

Octagon Apartments Location: Roosevelt Island, New YorkYear Built: 1839Original Architects: Alexander Jackson Davis (1839) Joseph M. Dunn (1878) Designed by Alexander Jackson Davis in 1850, the Octagon, is the only surviving piece of the New York Pauper Lunatic Asylum. After a series of disastrous fires and years of neglect, the Octagon was left a ruin for over 20 years. In 1992, BCA developed a detailed plan for the stabilization and protection of this National Register Landmark. As part of the stabilization plan BCA prepared restoration plans and specification that were in accordance...

Old Ship Meeting House

Old Ship Meeting House Location: Hingham, MassachusettsYear Built: 1681 Old Ship Meeting House, built in 1681 is the last surviving New England meeting house of more than 200 built between 1629 and 1700. Listed on the National and State Registers of Historic Places, and designated a National Historic Landmark in 1962, it is a timber-frame building with a wood-shingled roof and a wood clapboard exterior. BCA produced an Historic Structure Report for the Old Ship Meeting House, including a prioritized treatment plan which guided the subsequent restoration. Work included roof replacement, structural...

One Madison Avenue

One Madison Avenue Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1893-1909, 1953Original Architect: Napoleon Le Brun & Sons, D. Everett Waid One Madison Avenue, the MetLife Tower, located on Madison Square Park since 1890, is closely intertwined with the history of the city itself. The Tower (50 stories) was the tallest building in the world when it was erected in 1909 and is still a prominent fixture of the New York City skyline. BCA was the primary design consultant for the exterior restoration of the tower. Restoration work included removing decades of accumulated soiling from the exterior...

Orchard Beach Bath House

Orchard Beach Bath House Location: Bronx, New YorkYear Built: 1936Original Architect: Aymar Embury BCA is the historic preservation and materials conservation consultant for the repair and restoration of the Orchard Beach Pavilion at Orchard Beach in Pelham Bay Park, Bronx, NY. Part of the New York City Department of Parks & Recreation, Orchard Beach was proclaimed “The Riviera of New York” when it was created in the 1930s. The monumental red brick, concrete, and glazed terra cotta Pavilion was designed by Aymar Embury in the Moderne style according to Beaux-Arts planning principles....

President's Park

President's Park Location: Washington, D.C.Year Built: 1913 (Lafayette Park Lodge) 1910 (General Von Steuben Statue) 1902 (Rochambeau Statue) 1891 (Jackston Statue) 1891 (Lafayette Statue) 1910 (Kosciuszko Statue)Original Architect: Alber Jaegers, Thomas R. Johnson (General Von Steuben Statue) Fernand Hammar (Rochambeau) Clark Mills (Jackson Statue) Alexandre Falguiere, Antonin Mercie (Lafayette Statue) Antoni Popiel (Kosciuszko Statue) BCA worked with the National Park Service (NPS) to perform a conditions assessment of the masonry portions of the U.S. Capitol Gatehouses and Gatepost located...

Radio City Music Hall

Radio City Music Hall Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1932Original Architect: Edward Durrell Stone Designed by Edward Durrell Stone with interiors by Donald Desky, the Music Hall was completed in 1932 and was the largest theater at the time of its completion. The exterior of the music hall and its public interior spaces, as well as some furnishings, are designated New York City and National Historic landmarks. As historic preservation consultant, BCA performed archival research, documented and catalogued building elements and noted their condition. BCA conducted on-site investigation...

45th Road Courthouse Square Station

45th Road Courthouse Square Station Location: Queens, New YorkYear Built: 1916Original Architect: Squire Joseph Vickers BCA provided documentation and design documents for the station renovation as part of a larger commercial development project. 45th Road–Court House Square station was built in 1916 to extend the Interborough Rapid Transit Company's Flushing Line to Long Island City, Queens. in 1940, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) took over the Interborough Rapid Transit Company in 1940 and made small changes, such as lengthening the platform, to the elevated rail station....

Rockefeller Center

Rockefeller Center Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1930-1939Original Architect: Raymond Hood This renowned 1930s Art Deco commercial complex, located in midtown Manhattan, set a precedent for business by integrating utility and comfort with aesthetic beauty. Now a designated Nation Historic District, Rockefeller Center’s 21-acre property is comprised of fourteen historic buildings, including Radio City Music Hall, totalling 7.4 million square feet of office and retail space, gardens, plazas, murals and sculpture. As the consultant to Rockefeller Group Inc., BCA developed a Master Plan...

Selwyn Theater

Selwyn Theater Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1918Original Architect: George Keister American Airlines Theatre, originally named the Selwyn Theater, is located on 42nd Street in in Manhattan's Theater District, was designed by George Keister in the Italian Renaissance Style and constructed in 1918. The theater consisted of a six-story office tower facing 42nd Street and a theater auditorium behind the office tower facing 43rd Street. In 1999, the auditorium was rehabilitated and the office tower was replaced with a ten-story building with a contemporary glass façade, marquee, entrance,...

St. Mary and St. Catherine of Siena Parish

St. Mary and St. Catherine of Siena Parish Location: Charleston, MassachusettsYear Built: 1887-1892Original Architect: Patrick C. Keely St Mary and St Catherine of Siena were once two churches that were combined in 2006 to form one parish. St Mary was constructed from 1887 to 1892 and designed by Patrick C. Keely. The Roman Catholic Church features a hammer-beam oak ceiling, ornate stained-glass windows, and delicately carved angels. St Catherine was completed in 1895 is a romanesque style building with four stained glass windows. The original interior colors had been painted over,...

St. Patrick's Cathedral

St. Patrick's Cathedral Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1879Original Architect: James Renwick Jr. Designed by James Renwick, St. Patrick’s Cathedral is the preeminent Catholic church in New York. BCA has been the restoration consultant for St. Patrick’s Cathedral for a decade. The site includes four structures: the Cathedral, Lady Chapel, Rectory, and Parish House. BCA’s efforts on the project started 10 years ago in the pre-design phase. BCA identified immediate interventions for emergency stabilization and routine maintenance; followed by a comprehensive conditions survey, and...

The Prasada

The Prasada Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1904-1907Original Architect: Charles W. Romeyn The Prasada was one of the first luxury apartment buildings in New York City and is now a contributing resource to the Upper West Side/ Central Park West Historic District. Constructed in 1907, the building was designed by Charles W. Romeyn and Henry R. Wynne for owners Franklin and Samuel B. Raines. BCA was retained by the Co-Op Board to rehabilitate their historic lobby space. The defining feature of the lobby is the barrel-vaulted stained-glass laylight over the central space of the lobby....

The Woodlands

The Woodlands Location: Philadelphia, PennsylvaniaYear Built: 1770Original Architect: William Hamilton BCA was involved with two projects at the Woodlands, a cemetery located in West Philadelphia that dates to the mid-nineteenth century. The site retains two historic buildings, the Hamilton Mansion and stable, both of which date to the time the cemetery site was owned by gentlemen botanist William Hamilton. Built in two campaigns between 1770 and 1789, the mansion features rubble stone wall wings, a stucco central block, a two-story portico and a brick cryptoporticus in front of the mansion...

Trinity Church

Trinity Church Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1846Original Architect: Richard Upjohn Trinity Church, located at the west end of Wall Street in Manhattan, is one of the seminal works of historic architecture in the United States and was designed in multiple phases under various architects. The Main Church was designed by Richard Upjohn and constructed in 1846. BCA is the restoration consultant for the entire church. BCA oversaw the conservation treatments of the spire and designed all the conservation treatments of the façade, which is brownstone sourced primarily from Little Falls,...

Trinity College, Long Walk

Trinity College, Long Walk Location: Hartford, ConnecticutYear Built: 1878, 1883, 1878Original Architect: William Burges The Long Walk at Trinity College, designed by the English architect, William Burges, was built in 1878 and is an important example of late 19th century collegiate architecture and of the High Victorian Gothic style in America. It is comprised of three polychromatic masonry buildings - Seabury and Jarvis Halls and Northam Tower. The buildings are outstanding examples of Collegiate Gothic architecture. BCA assessed the condition of the exterior masonry, leaded and steel...

Union Station

Union Station Location: Washington, D.C.Year Built: 1903-1908Original Architect: Daniel H. Burnham Washington Union Station in the District of Columbia was designed by the esteemed architectural firm of Daniel Burnham & Company and was constructed between 1903 and 1908. This monumental Beaux-Arts train station is the gateway to our nation’s capital and services more than 100,000 visitors a day. The station was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1969. Union Station Redevelopment Corporation (USRC), stewards of Union Station since 1983, selected BCA to lead the development...

United Nations Headquarters

United Nations Headquarters Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1947-1953Original Architect: International Committee of Architects, Wallace K. Harrison, Chairman. Team included Le Corbusier of France, Oscar Niemeyer of Brazil, Sven Markelius of Sweden, and representatives from 10 other countries. Since 2004, BCA has been involved with the master plan for the United Nations complex. A noted example of the International Style, the complex was built between 1947 and 1953 and consists of four buildings: the General Assembly Building, the Conference Building, the Secretariat, and the Dag...

United States Military Academy

United States Military Academy Location: West Point, New YorkYear Built: 1910, 1914, 1898, 1929, 1921-23Original Architect: Cram, Goodhue, & Furgeson, Arnold W. Brunner The United States Military Academy was established by an Act of Congress on March 16, 1802 and was formally opened on the following Fourth of July. In existence continuously since that date, the Academy at West Point, New York, has trained the officers who in peace and war have developed and commanded the Regular Army of the United States. Military interest in West Point dates from the early years of the War of Independence...