Skip to main content
Building Conservation Associates

Research

University of Pennsylvania, Richards Medical Research Laboratory

University of Pennsylvania, Richards Medical Research Laboratory Location: Philadelphia, PennsylvaniaYear Built: 1962Original Architect: Louis Kahn The Richards Medical Research Laboratory, designed by the internationally influential Philadelphia architect Louis Kahn, was completed in 1962. It was immediately heralded as one of the most consequential buildings of the 20th century and one of Kahn’s greatest achievements due to Kahn’s unique approach to materials and building organization. The building’s significance and relatively high degree of integrity led to its designation as a National...

U.S. Capitol

U.S. Capitol Location: Washington, D.C. Year Built: 1793 - 1811 Original Architect: William Thornton  BCA has been contracted by the Architect of the Capitol to document original decorative painting schemes in several locations throughout the Capitol building, including the first floor Senate Connecting Corridor and the second floor Senate Chamber entrance corridor. The Senate Connection Corridor links the well-known and highly ornate Brumidi Corridors to the central dome of the Capitol, and dates to the 1850s. The elaborate trompe l’oeil paintings that originally adorned the Senate Connecting...

Victoria Theater

Victoria Theater Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1917Original Architect: Thomas Lamb The Victoria Theater was designed by Thomas Lamb, with interior murals designed by Arthur Brounet. Located on 125th Street in Harlem, Upper Manhattan, the Theater opened in 1917 as a Vaudeville and Motion Picture house.  The project involves a complete renovation and adaptive reuse of the building and will preserve and foster Harlem’s cultural heritage through the retention and restoration of significant elements of the Theater. The complex will provide affordable and market rate housing, a new hotel,...

New York Hall of Science

New York Hall of Science Location: Queens, New York Original Architect: Wallace K. Harrison Year Built: 1964 The New York Hall of Science was established as part of the 1964 World’s Fair and is one of the few extant structures in Flushing Meadow-Corona Park. Designed by Wallace K. Harrison (Harrison and Abramowitz), the Hall of Science is distinguished by its serpentine plan. The 80-foot-high walls are a curved reinforced concrete grid comprised of horizontal and vertical flat concrete bands creating approximately 5,400 cells. Each of the cells is filled by cobalt blue glass polygons...