Skip to main content
Building Conservation Associates

Stone

Aiken-Rhett-House

Aiken Rhett House Location: Charleston, South CarolinaYear Built: 1817 Owned and operated by Historic Charleston Foundation (HCF), the Aiken-Rhett House is nationally recognized as one of the few remaining examples of an early 19th-century urban townhouse complex in the United States. It survives with its main house as well as associated dependencies on its original building lot in Charleston. BCA led the creation of a Feasibility Study which made key recommendations for improvements to the site’s stewardship, visitation, and staff capacity, and provided Historic Charleston Foundation with...

Pilgrim Hall Museum

Pilgrim Hall Museum Location: Plymouth, Massachusetts Original Architect: Alexander Parris Year Built: 1824 The Pilgrim Hall Museum, operated by the Pilgrim Society, is the oldest public museum in the United States. The Museum, designed by Alexander Parris, was opened in 1824 and is made mostly of Quincy Granite. Since its opening, the museum as survived many changes, including the addition of the Steinway Library in 1904. The library addition interior includes a Guastavino tile ceiling, a carved limestone fireplace, and a terrazzo floor with a mosaic tile border. BCA's work included initial...

Amtrak

Amtrak BCA holds a term contract with Amtrak for Environmental and Historic Preservation Services. BCA’s key responsibilities include: preparing Section 106 documentation packages; consulting with Amtrak project managers to determine Section 106 needs; coordinating with the NEPA process and Amtrak NEPA staff; conducting Section 106 consulting party outreach and follow-up; and applying technical expertise in reviewing consultant products and performing preservation design review on behalf of Amtrak. Recent projects completed through BCA’s contract include an archeological assessment of the...

Kings County Supreme Courthouse

Kings County Supreme Courthouse Location: Brooklyn, New York Year Built: 1932 Original Architect: King and Tackritz of Brooklyn  Kings County Courthouse was constructed in 1932, and designed by King and Tacktitz of Brooklyn in the Renaissance Revival style. BCA performed a preliminary assessment of the interior spaces and created preservation levels to ensure that the historic character and material integrity of the interiors is considered during the planning process for rehabilitation of the building. In the design phase, BCA conducted a conditions’ assessment survey of the plaster ceiling,...

National Pilgrim Memorial Meetinghouse

National Pilgrim Memorial Meetinghouse Location: Plymouth, MassachusettsYear Built: 1899Original Architect: Hartwell, Richardson & Driver The Mayflower Meetinghouse, historically known as the First Parish Church of Plymouth, is the fifth meetinghouse built as First Church, completed in 1899. First Church’s history can be traced to the Separatist congregation that sailed to Plymouth on the Mayflower in 1620. It is reported to be the oldest continuous church in New England. The notable Boston firm Hartwell, Richardson & Driver designed the new church in the Romanesque Revival style,...

NCA Battleground Cemetery

NCA Battleground Cemetery Location: Washington, D.C.Year Built: 1864 Battleground National Cemetery was established in 1864 just after the battle of Fort Stevens, and is located just north of the fort in Washington DC. The cemetery is surrounded by a stone retaining wall, originally constructed in 1872, and features a central memorial that honors those that died at the battle of Fort Stevens. The cemetery’s stone wall has been altered several times throughout its history, mostly due to perimeter road changes and regrading.  BCA was retained to perform analysis of the historic mortars of...

New Canaan Modern House Survey

New Canaan Modern House Survey Location: New Canaan, Connecticut In the post-World War II period, an informal network of Modern architects later known as the “Harvard Five”—Marcel Breuer, Landis Gores, John Johansen, Eliot Noyes, and Philip Johnson—moved to the bucolic town of New Canaan, Connecticut, and established what would become a center of experimental Modern residential design. The National Trust for Historic Preservation Northeast Office, the New Canaan Historical Society, the Philip Johnson Glass House, the Connecticut Trust for Historic Preservation, and the Connecticut Commission...

New York City School Construction Authority

New York City School Construction Authority The New York City School Construction Authority (SCA) manages the design, construction and renovation of school buildings in New York City. BCA is pre-qualified by SCA for historic preservation. Here are a few of our featured projects. P.S. 34, Brooklyn, NY The oldest NYC public school building still in use, P.S. 34 was constructed just after the Civil War in 1867. BCA developed procedures for stripping lead-based paint without damaging the brick face of this Landmark building. BCA also formulated procedures and techniques to restore brickwork...

New York State Capitol

New York State Capitol Location: Albany, New York Year Built: 1867-1899 Original Architects: Thomas Fuller, Leopold Eidlitz, Henry Hobson Richardson, Isaac G. Perry  The New York State Capitol was constructed between 1867 and 1899 under a series of supervising architects starting with Thomas Fuller, followed by Leopold Eidlitz and Henry Hobson Richardson, and lastly Isaac G. Perry. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and designated a National Historic Landmark in 1979. BCA has been involved in many restoration projects at the capitol, including a cleaning program...

Nissequogue River State Park

Nissequogue River State Park Location: Kings Park, New YorkYear Built: 1890-1973Original Architects: William E. Haugaard Established in 2001, Nissequogue River State Park (NRSP) was originally the Kings Park Psychiatric Center (KPPC), a hospital complex run by the NY State Office of Mental Health that operated from 1895 through 1996. At its peak in the 1950s, the KKPC campus consisted of approximately 100 buildings from various periods set within a designed institutional landscape. After the hospital closed, the land and remaining buildings were transferred to NY State Parks. As part...

Congregation Shearith Israel

Congregation Shearith Israel Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1897Original Architect: Arnold Brunner Congregation Shearith Israel is America's first Jewish congregation, founded in 1654. It's current building, designed by Arnold Brunner, in 1897 was designed in the neo-classical style, emphasizing the Congregation’s commitment to tradition. The historic stained-glass windows and interior was designed by Louis Comfort Tiffany, who also designed the interior. Brunner was the designer of several buildings around the northeast from hospitals to portions of the Pennsylvania State Capitol. BCA...

The Woodlands

The Woodlands Location: Philadelphia, PennsylvaniaYear Built: 1770Original Architect: William Hamilton BCA was involved with two projects at the Woodlands, a cemetery located in West Philadelphia that dates to the mid-nineteenth century. The site retains two historic buildings, the Hamilton Mansion and stable, both of which date to the time the cemetery site was owned by gentlemen botanist William Hamilton. Built in two campaigns between 1770 and 1789, the mansion features rubble stone wall wings, a stucco central block, a two-story portico and a brick cryptoporticus in front of the mansion...

Trinity College, Long Walk

Trinity College, Long Walk Location: Hartford, ConnecticutYear Built: 1878, 1883, 1878Original Architect: William Burges The Long Walk at Trinity College, designed by the English architect, William Burges, was built in 1878 and is an important example of late 19th century collegiate architecture and of the High Victorian Gothic style in America. It is comprised of three polychromatic masonry buildings - Seabury and Jarvis Halls and Northam Tower. The buildings are outstanding examples of Collegiate Gothic architecture. BCA assessed the condition of the exterior masonry, leaded and steel...

United States Military Academy

United States Military Academy Location: West Point, New YorkYear Built: 1910, 1914, 1898, 1929, 1921-23Original Architect: Cram, Goodhue, & Furgeson, Arnold W. Brunner The United States Military Academy was established by an Act of Congress on March 16, 1802 and was formally opened on the following Fourth of July. In existence continuously since that date, the Academy at West Point, New York, has trained the officers who in peace and war have developed and commanded the Regular Army of the United States. Military interest in West Point dates from the early years of the War of Independence...