Skip to main content
Building Conservation Associates

Wood

U.S. Capitol

U.S. Capitol Location: Washington, D.C. Year Built: 1793 - 1811 Original Architect: William Thornton  BCA has been contracted by the Architect of the Capitol to document original decorative painting schemes in several locations throughout the Capitol building, including the first floor Senate Connecting Corridor and the second floor Senate Chamber entrance corridor. The Senate Connection Corridor links the well-known and highly ornate Brumidi Corridors to the central dome of the Capitol, and dates to the 1850s. The elaborate trompe l’oeil paintings that originally adorned the Senate Connecting...

Kings County Supreme Courthouse

Kings County Supreme Courthouse Location: Brooklyn, New York Year Built: 1932 Original Architect: King and Tackritz of Brooklyn  Kings County Courthouse was constructed in 1932, and designed by King and Tacktitz of Brooklyn in the Renaissance Revival style. BCA performed a preliminary assessment of the interior spaces and created preservation levels to ensure that the historic character and material integrity of the interiors is considered during the planning process for rehabilitation of the building. In the design phase, BCA conducted a conditions’ assessment survey of the plaster ceiling,...

Congregation Shearith Israel

Congregation Shearith Israel Location: New York, New YorkYear Built: 1897Original Architect: Arnold Brunner Congregation Shearith Israel is America's first Jewish congregation, founded in 1654. It's current building, designed by Arnold Brunner, in 1897 was designed in the neo-classical style, emphasizing the Congregation’s commitment to tradition. The historic stained-glass windows and interior was designed by Louis Comfort Tiffany, who also designed the interior. Brunner was the designer of several buildings around the northeast from hospitals to portions of the Pennsylvania State Capitol. BCA...

University of Pennsylvania, 3808-3810 Walnut Street

University of Pennsylvania, 3808-3810 Walnut Street Location: Philadelphia, PennsylvaniaYear Built: 1898Original Architect: W Frisbey Smith 3808-3810 Walnut Street is located in the heart of the University of Pennsylvania’s urban campus. The three and one-half story twin was designed by Philadelphia architect W. Frisbey Smith and built in 1898. The facade features iron-spot Roman brick and is heavily ornamented with copper metalwork. BCA performed a paint analysis to determine the building’s original exterior paint colors and oversaw the restoration of these colors to the building. BCA also...

Samara

Samara Location: Lafayette, Indiana Original Architect: Frank Lloyd Wright Year Built: 1956 BCA was the historic materials consultant for Samara, the John and Catherine Christian House, located in West Lafayette, Indiana. Designed by Frank Lloyd Wright and completed in 1956, Samara is an example of Wright’s Usonian house design. It became a National Historic Landmark in 2015, the same year that Dr. Christian died, and the house became a full-time museum open to the public. BCA’s work provided information about the house’s original materials to inform the current restoration project. The...

Penn Museum

Penn Museum Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Original Architect: Wilson Eyre, Jr., Cope & Stewardson, and Frank Miles Day & Brother Year Built: 1896 Constructed over seven distinct building campaigns between 1899 and 2004, the University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology is a contributing resource to the University of Pennsylvania Campus Historic District. BCA was involved with the renovation of the 1915 Harrison Wing and the 1924 Coxe Wing Galleries. The Harrison Wing consists of an upper masonry rotunda and a lower masonry auditorium, with the upper and lower...

Nichols House Museum

Nichols House Museum Location: Boston, Massachusetts Original Architect: Charles Bulfinch Year Built: 1804 The Nichols House, located on 55 Mount Vernon Street, is a Federal style row house built by Jonathan Mason in 1805. Its design is attributed to Charles Bulfinch. Arthur Nichols purchased the house in 1885, and his eldest daughter Rose Nichols left the house to be a museum upon her death in 1960. Listed on the State and National Register of Historic Places as a contributing building in the Beacon Hill Historic District. The House is shown with the furnishings of the Nichols family and...

1328 N. State Parkway

1328 N. State Parkway Location: Chicago, IllinoisYear Built: 1936Original Architect: Andrew N. Rebori BCA was the materials consultant for 1328 North State Parkway in Chicago, Illinois. Architect Andrew Rebori designed the property in 1936 as two separate houses connected by a central courtyard. The artist Lillian Florsheim purchased the property in 1946 for herself and her daughter, Nancy. In 1949, Florsheim began working with architect Bertrand Goldberg to renovate the property, a process that lasted until 1957. The most notable alteration was the installation of a “bridge” that connected...

Amtrak

Amtrak BCA holds a term contract with Amtrak for Environmental and Historic Preservation Services. BCA’s key responsibilities include: preparing Section 106 documentation packages; consulting with Amtrak project managers to determine Section 106 needs; coordinating with the NEPA process and Amtrak NEPA staff; conducting Section 106 consulting party outreach and follow-up; and applying technical expertise in reviewing consultant products and performing preservation design review on behalf of Amtrak. Recent projects completed through BCA’s contract include an archeological assessment of the...

Contee Farm Complex

Contee Farm Complex Location: Edgewater, Maryland The campus of the Smithsonian Environmental Research Center (SERC) in Edgewater, Maryland, contains thousands of acres of protected land along the shore of the Chesapeake Bay. The Smithsonian Institution (SI) retained BCA to perform a study of select historic assets on the campus. These assets, the Contee Farm Complex and the Sellman Tenant House, are monuments to the site’s long history of agriculture, and they stand in a landscape from which the visible legacy of hundreds of years of farming is slowly disappearing. The two sites date...

Old Ship Meeting House

Old Ship Meeting House Location: Hingham, MassachusettsYear Built: 1681 Old Ship Meeting House, built in 1681 is the last surviving New England meeting house of more than 200 built between 1629 and 1700. Listed on the National and State Registers of Historic Places, and designated a National Historic Landmark in 1962, it is a timber-frame building with a wood-shingled roof and a wood clapboard exterior. BCA produced an Historic Structure Report for the Old Ship Meeting House, including a prioritized treatment plan which guided the subsequent restoration. Work included roof replacement, structural...

Aiken-Rhett-House

Aiken Rhett House Location: Charleston, South CarolinaYear Built: 1817 Owned and operated by Historic Charleston Foundation (HCF), the Aiken-Rhett House is nationally recognized as one of the few remaining examples of an early 19th-century urban townhouse complex in the United States. It survives with its main house as well as associated dependencies on its original building lot in Charleston. BCA led the creation of a Feasibility Study which made key recommendations for improvements to the site’s stewardship, visitation, and staff capacity, and provided Historic Charleston Foundation with...

Hingham Historical Society

Hingham Historical Society Location: Hingham, MassachusettsYear Built: 1686 The Hingham Historical Society, started in 1914, works to preserve and document the history of Hingham, Massachusetts. BCA has worked on Historic Structure Reports for two historic buildings owned and operated by the Hingham Historical Society, Old Derby and Old Ordinary. Old Derby was built in 1818 as the school building for Derby Academy. It is a three-story, wood frame, Federal style building. BCA completed an Historic Structure Report for Old Derby documenting the architectural history of the building, its...

Hamilton Grange

Hamilton Grange Location: New York, New YorkOriginal Architect: John McComb Jr.Year Built: 1802 Hamilton Grange is believed to be the only home owned by Alexander Hamilton, one of the United States’ founding fathers. Hamilton built this Federal style country house in 1801-02. Hamilton Grange was moved in 2008, to a site one block away within St. Nicholas Park. After the move was completed, the restoration of the exterior and interior began. This project focused on completing the interior and exterior architectural restoration and rehabilitation, including building and site improvements and...

Grand Army of the Republic Memorial

Grand Army of the Republic Memorial Location: Chicago, IllinoisOriginal Architect: Shepley Rutan and CoolidgeYear Built: 1897 The Grand Army of the Republic Memorial Hall (GAR) consists of four rooms on the second floor of Chicago Cultural Center. The building was constructed in 1897 as the Chicago Public Library, replacing the public reading room lost during the Great Fire of 1871. The series of rooms known as GAR serve as a memorial to the veterans of the Union Army. GAR begins with a foyer, leading to the Lobby, which is decorated with ornamental plaster lunettes and bas-reliefs commemorating...

1307 Locust Street

1307 Locust Street Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Year Built: 1851  BCA was the Historic Preservation Tax Credit (HPTC) consultant for the adaptive reuse of a rowhouse at 1307 Locust Street in Philadelphia, PA. The house, constructed in 1851, had been used since 1906 by the New Century Guild (NCG), a women’s membership organization that provides support to women in the labor force. The NCG used the building as a headquarters and clubhouse in virtually the same manner for over 100 years with very few modifications. In 1993, the building was selected as a prime example of a site of importance...

University of Chicago

University of Chicago Location: Chicago, IllinoisYear Built: 1923-1926Original Architect: Herbert Riddle The University of Chicago acquired the former Chicago Theological Seminary, a brick and limestone building built in 1923-26 that is located in the heart of the University’s Hyde Park campus, in 2011. The building was renovated, and a large addition was constructed to accommodate its new use as the Saieh Hall for Economics. As part of the renovation, BCA surveyed the exterior masonry envelope as well as significant historic interior spaces decorated with limestone and extensive wood...

Ed Sullivan Theater

Ed Sullivan Theater Location: New York, New York Year Built: 1927Original Architect: Herbert J. Krapp BCA was the restoration consultant for the 1993 restoration of the interior. The Ed Sullivan Theatre, located in Midtown Manhattan's Theater District, is famous for hosting the The Ed Sullivan show and several CBS Late Night shows such as "Late Night with David Letterman" and the current "The Late Show with Stephen Colbert". The building, Originally known as the Hammerstien Theatre was built from 1926-1927 in the Neo-Gothic Style by Herbert J. Krapp is listed on the National Register of...

45th Road Courthouse Square Station

45th Road Courthouse Square Station Location: Queens, New YorkYear Built: 1916Original Architect: Squire Joseph Vickers BCA provided documentation and design documents for the station renovation as part of a larger commercial development project. 45th Road–Court House Square station was built in 1916 to extend the Interborough Rapid Transit Company's Flushing Line to Long Island City, Queens. in 1940, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) took over the Interborough Rapid Transit Company in 1940 and made small changes, such as lengthening the platform, to the elevated rail station....

U.S. Custom House, Maine

U.S. Custom House, Maine Location: Portland, Maine Year Built: 1867–1872Original Architect: Alfred B. Mullett The Portland Custom House, a General Services Administration property, is located within the ‘Old Port’ waterfront district. It was built in 1867 and listed as a National Landmark in 1973. Designed in the Second Empire and Renaissance Revival styles by architect Alfred B. Mullet, Supervising Architect to the U.S Treasury Department. it exhibits a highly decorative cut granite stonework facade. BCA worked on a comprehensive restoration of the exterior masonry, slate roofing, and original...