Newark Museum, Ballantine House
Location: Newark, New Jersey
Original Architect: George Edward Harney
Year Built: 1884
The Ballantine House is a red brick mansion with Wyoming Grey sandstone trim designed by George Edward Harney and constructed in 1885 for Jeannette and John Holme Ballantine of the celebrated Newark beer-brewing family. Located on the campus of The Newark Museum of Art (NMOA) in Newark, New Jersey, it is a major object in the collections of the NMOA and houses its period rooms and Decorative Arts galleries. The Ballantine House is a National Historic Landmark, a contributing resource in the James Street Commons National Register Historic District, and a City of Newark landmark.
The project involves the complete rehabilitation of the building exterior. BCA is the historic preservation consultant for the restoration design and NJ State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) and City of Newark Landmarks and Historic Preservation Commission (NLHPC) approval. BCA created restoration construction documents and successfully spearheaded the SHPO and NLHPC review process, which included approval to replace much of the building’s original sandstone—deteriorated beyond repair—with new cast stone units matching the historic stone in color and texture; reconstruction of the entire entry portico; restoration of the historic wood windows and entry doors, repairs to the slate roof and design and installation of a new railing.
Awards: Preservation Award, Preservation New Jersey
• Cast Stone
• Red Mortar