Park Avenue Armory
Location: New York, New York
Original Architect: Charles Clinton
Year Built: 1880
BCA was part of the project team developing a preservation approach for the adaptive reuse of Park Avenue Armory, historically known as the Seventh Regiment Armory. Built as both a military facility and a social club, the reception rooms on the first floor and the company rooms on the second floor were designed by the most prominent designers and artists of the day, including Louis Comfort Tiffany, Stanford White, Herter Brothers, and Pottier & Stymus.
As the historic preservation consultant for the interior restoration of the Armory, work included a comprehensive historic building study, historic paint research, and materials testing leading to the development of a phased set of construction documents. BCA performed an extensive investigation to determine the existence and condition of decorative finishes under later overpaints in all of the historic rooms at the Park Avenue Armory. Work included testing to determine appropriate techniques for removal of overpaints followed by mock-ups to expose sections of decorative finishes throughout the building to assess their conditions.