U.S. Custom House, Maine
Location: Portland, Maine
Year Built: 1867–1872
Original Architect: Alfred B. Mullett
The Portland Custom House, a General Services Administration property, is located within the ‘Old Port’ waterfront district. It was built in 1867 and listed as a National Landmark in 1973. Designed in the Second Empire and Renaissance Revival styles by architect Alfred B. Mullet, Supervising Architect to the U.S Treasury Department. it exhibits a highly decorative cut granite stonework facade.
BCA worked on a comprehensive restoration of the exterior masonry, slate roofing, and original wood windows. Interior restoration work included repair of heavily water damaged gilded plaster elements in the highly ornate Custom Hall. Working closely with Maine’s State Historic Preservation Officer, BCA provided an existing conditions survey, recommendations for treatment, restoration drawings and specifications, and construction administration.
Awards: Preservation Award (Greater Portland Landmarks), Honor Award for Preservation (Maine Preservation)